Thread: Black Wii question...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Black Wii question...

I know its been asked here before, but I cannot find it.

I currently have a white wii (since launch day), but Im buying a black Wii on October 18th (the true 25th Anniversary of the NES) to commemorate (sp?).

What I wanna know is, can you port any VC/Wii Ware games over from my old wii to my new one? I heard something about once a game is DL'd, it permanently belongs on that console. HOWEVER, i have heard that Nintendo phone reps (good ones I suppose) can move the license from your old to new. Has anyone here successfuly done this?? Or know someone who has??

Even if its not possible... can I at least swap SAVED GAMEPLAY DATA from my old to new? I dont mind re-downloading the WiiWare Excitebike game (at another $10 cost to me), but i dont wanna go through hundreds of races again to get my "Points" back. I would rather just port over my saved data.

Even if none of this possible, Id still like a black Wii. Why? Idk, personal preference i guess. Your asking someone that has three different colors of of orginal xboxs, and three different Xbox 360.

Anyways, back on topic: Is it possible? If so, any pointers?? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nintendan View Post
    What I wanna know is, can you port any VC/Wii Ware games over from my old wii to my new one?
    Nope

i have heard that Nintendo phone reps (good ones I suppose) can move the license from your old to new.
    It's technically possible, but highly unlikely.

Even if its not possible... can I at least swap SAVED GAMEPLAY DATA from my old to new? I dont mind re-downloading the WiiWare Excitebike game (at another $10 cost to me), but i dont wanna go through hundreds of races again to get my "Points" back. I would rather just port over my saved data.
    If the save isn't locked to the console (Which some are, especially games with online modes), sure, you can transfer it via SD card to a different console.

If it is locked, perhaps something like the Homebrew Channel will allow you to circumvent it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Thanks for your reply Leo-A.
    Your right... I was up on the Official Nintendo website tech forums... and it'll be nearly impossible to port over all the stuff from my old Wii to my new one. Thats ok though... the only data Ill miss is Mario Kart Wii (110+ hours invested), and Animal Crossing Wii (60+ hours), and of course my Excitebike Data. All the rest... I could care less about.

BTW, i thought Nintendo closed down their old forums?? When did these Tech forums open up?? Anyone know?

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your reply Leo-A.
    Your right... I was up on the Official Nintendo website tech forums... and it'll be nearly impossible to port over all the stuff from my old Wii to my new one. Thats ok though... the only data Ill miss is Mario Kart Wii (110+ hours invested), and Animal Crossing Wii (60+ hours), and of course my Excitebike Data. All the rest... I could care less about.

BTW, i thought Nintendo closed down their old forums?? When did these Tech forums open up?? Anyone know?

Dan
    I believe it probably was to have a place to send people for help instead of just having everyone e-mail Nintendo's Customer Support. The tech forums opened up either a few months or a year after the Nintendo forums closed down. I tried to look up an exact date, but I'm coming up blank.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently have a white wii (since launch day), but Im buying a black Wii on October 18th (the true 25th Anniversary of the NES) to commemorate (sp?).

What I wanna know is, can you port any VC/Wii Ware games over from my old wii to my new one?
    If your white Wii is working perfectly fine, why not just be happy with that and celebrate the 25th anniversary of the NES by playing games? That way, you'll have fun, avoid having to port save files from one Wii to another, *and* have an extra $200 in your wallet.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If your goal is to have all your store purchases on the Black Wii ... this is just a thought, but unless they've drastically altered/revised the layout of any internal hardware it would be technically possible to swap the guts on the black and white Wiis.

OR, you could also just buy a black replacement shell/casing instead of dropping the cash on a whole new Wii.

I've opened my Wii to do some minor cleaning and found it to be a pretty simple compact layout in there.

All you need is the tri-wing screwdriver which can easily be found on eBay or DealExtreme.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't that void the warranty on the new Wii?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Wouldn't that void the warranty on the new Wii?
    Yes. Yes it would.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats the fun of new hardware if you don't void the warranty and molest it at least a little bit?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."