Thread: Unfolded NES Box

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unfolded NES Box

I'm trying to make a "ready to print" Mario Bros./Duck Hunt custom box cause it's the only loose game I have in my NES collection and a box doesn't exist.

What I need here i a completely unfolded box with the edge that usually is glued to hold the box together ungled. That way i will be able to make a NES box template (with proper size) and create my mario/duck hunt with photoshop. I will naturally post a link for you tu download the pdf file and print yourselves a nice box!

The problem is: I don't have a NES box to sacrifice... all my boxes are mint and I don't want to scrap one. The box doesn't need to be in good shape I just need it to have all flaps and in one piece.No need to send it via mail you could just scan it (unfold and unglued) and send it to me.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Someone here has made/sold very high quality SMB/DH boxes in the past. I don't know if they still have any they are selling or what. I bought two for reasons I'm not really certain of, so if they are no longer available I could probably part with one. A little later I'll see if I can dig up the seller info, thread, etc.

edit: also, you can take a mint box and flatten it without damage, and you should be able to come up with the unfolded pattern from that easily.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

http://www.uncletusk.com/

He's your guy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes I saw uncle tusk site but I don't feel fine paying 12$ for a non-official box of a 0,50$ game

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-NES-SUP...item43a0897050

You can best offer him down to $5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Someone here has made/sold very high quality SMB/DH boxes in the past. I don't know if they still have any they are selling or what. I bought two for reasons I'm not really certain of, so if they are no longer available I could probably part with one. A little later I'll see if I can dig up the seller info, thread, etc.

edit: also, you can take a mint box and flatten it without damage, and you should be able to come up with the unfolded pattern from that easily.
    So, you have one of these? How would you rate the quality? Is is a scan of a box put together in photoshop with pixelated images and fuzzy text? Or does it look like someone put the time in and created a nice piece by typesetting and drawing the images? Sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in how this was made.

One last question, does it look like it was printed on a Laser Printer, Inkjet or full 4 color press?

Thanks
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpepper9 View Post
    So, you have one of these? How would you rate the quality? Is is a scan of a box put together in photoshop with pixelated images and fuzzy text? Or does it look like someone put the time in and created a nice piece by typesetting and drawing the images? Sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in how this was made.

One last question, does it look like it was printed on a Laser Printer, Inkjet or full 4 color press?

Thanks
    Well, as I said, I have TWO of them! :P Not sure why I got two, must have made sense to me at the time.

I'll predicate my mini-review with a healthy dose of 'I'm not a graphical design person'. Anyway, here goes:

I pulled out both this box and a beat up old regular SMB box I had handy to compare against. It is pretty clear that these were made using scans from their respective original box. Just as an example, the fireball mario is shooting on the original box has a bit of waviness on the top edge, and the re-make has the identical flaw. However, the images aren't pixelated at all, nor is the text at all fuzzy (to answer your question directly). I really don't notice any difference on edges of text or art. If you have a SMB box, pull it out and look closely... the edges of the artwork aren't all that great, with what almost look to me like printing artifacts (darker 'outlines' around his boots for example). Same stuff is on the re-make and no more or less fuzzy. The biggest difference is the color, and it isn't dramatic, but it is definitely a shade darker. That said, I don't know how uniform the print runs were on the original, and this I'd guess is close enough to fall within those variations. On the back he has the same text as on the original, and similar screenshots. He must have recreated similar scenes for it. Also, it is a little funny that on the original at least on of the screenshots are vertically smooshed, they aren't on the new one.

I do not think it is fair to say "is this a scan/photoshop OR is it nice/typeset/good". It is both very well done and scanned directly from the original, at least for the images. The text may have been done fresh... it has a circled R instead of a TM like on my original.

I don't know that I could tell if this were done on a laser versus a press, but I suspect it was a press. No inkjet I've seen would turn out like this. There doesn't appear to be a coating or anything, so I'd think a laser or inkjet would be smearable, and this isn't. Also, it is on good quality cardstock (is that the right term?), and it is die-cut and has all the 'fold ridges' if that makes sense.

Very professional looking and a great product. 9/10 if I had to rate it.

Sorry, this turned into more than a mini-review.

edit: for what it is worth, when I got mine I was also able to order styro blocks to go with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I dug out the original sale thread here: http://box422.bluehost.com/~videogc7...ight=uncletusk

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I have three of his boxes direct from him and numerous ones he made for repro/homebrew releases. They're the best you're going to get, hands down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I have three of his boxes direct from him and numerous ones he made for repro/homebrew releases. They're the best you're going to get, hands down.
    ^ This. I have two as well.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info and for answering all my questions Cornelius!
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!