Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 PS3 re-release hopes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Everyone wants HD graphic these day...lol. I would rather see most of the game ported to handheld. That way you can take it anywhere you go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's not a Playstation 2 emulator running original code. So I'm sure they're going to be the definitive console versions of these games and that they won't restrict themselves to just using the assets of the Playstation 2 titles as they port them over. I suspect that Pandora Tomorrow for example will have all the benefits of the PC and Xbox versions while having things like the bonus mission that the inferior PS2 and GameCube version of the game had to compensate for the downgrading.
    I was thinking more of the original game, which had very redesigned levels between Xbox and PS2. And if they are going by the Xbox/PC versions, it seems incongruous that they would release it as part of a "Sony's Classics HD" line. They should release it separate from that line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I was thinking more of the original game, which had very redesigned levels between Xbox and PS2. And if they are going by the Xbox/PC versions, it seems incongruous that they would release it as part of a "Sony's Classics HD" line. They should release it separate from that line.
    The title is "Classics HD", not "Playstation 2 Classics HD". It's older generation material being redone to take advantage of the capabilities of the Playstation 3 and be resold to consumers in a state ready to take best advantage of their HD televisions. There is no limitation that the content had to have appeared on the Playstation 2, which is why you'll see things like Rayman, which never appeared on the PS2, be included on Rayman Trilogy. And similarly, if a game was on the PS2, there's no reason to think that they're limited to just what appeared on the PS2 specific version of a game being redone under this program.

I think most people want to see the Resident Evil 4 approach from the Wii. In that example, they combined the best elements of earlier versions of the game into a definitive release (The graphics and detail of the GameCube release combined with the extras of the Playstation 2 version and the superior control offered with the Wiimote). I assume (And hope) that is the approach that Ubisoft is taking here. For example if they compiled their two past gen Brothers in Arms games into this line, I would hope the more complex and challenging AI routines of the Xbox versions would be used over the simplified (And almost broken in the case of Earned in Blood) AI routines of the Playstation 2 releases. Why would anyone not want that to be the case?

I'm unaware of huge level differences between the Xbox and Playstation 2 versions of the original Splinter Cell where levels are present in each game (Although I can recall some later games in the line being completely different depending on the system it appeared on), but it's been years since I've played the game on either console. I remember both games playing a fair bit differently though.

But by taking the best elements of the game, you'll be able to have the exclusive power plant mission from the PS2 game and the three downloadable missions the Xbox game saw, for one example.

That's the approach I'm hoping for, a combination of the best elements of the game combined with an HD makeover. Can't really understand why someone wouldn't want that to be the case and want them to restrict themselves solely to what was on the Playstation 2 version of a game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-24-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The title is "Classics HD", not "Playstation 2 Classics HD". It's older generation material being redone to take advantage of the capabilities of the Playstation 3 and be resold to consumers in a state ready to take best advantage of their HD televisions. There is no limitation that the content had to have appeared on the Playstation 2, which is why you'll see things like Rayman, which never appeared on the PS2, be included on Rayman Trilogy. And similarly, if a game was on the PS2, there's reason to think that they're limited to just what appeared on the PS2 specific version of a game being redone under this program.
    I suppose I misinterpreted that post, but it seemed to imply that it was Playstation-specific ("Sony's..."). Rayman appeared on Playstation, which is also "Sony's". Also the subject of this thread specifically says PS2, it doesn't say "last gen". Of course there was Ninja Gaiden Sigma, a PS3 port of an Xbox game, and there's no reason other publishers can't do the same, but this is apparently a special line of games, not individual releases. When Nintendo had the Classic NES Series for GBA, every release was based directly on the NES version of the game, ignoring everything else -- including the third-party games.

I hope it's not the case here, but I haven't seen any solid indication to the contrary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just to be clear, I don't know the inner workings of this program either.

Just giving my take on the way I think they should go about it, which is to release the best product they can regardless of the source material. Would be ashame, for example, to not see those Xbox DLC missions on a Splinter Cell collection just because the Playstation 2 version of the game lacked them back in the day.

Being that they're actually ports, rather then just a Playstation 2 disc image running through a Playstation 2 emulator, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable hope. The Classic NES series on the GBA were identical to their console counterparts because they were the original console titles running through a NES emulator.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-24-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote for the three Syphon Filter games(The Omega Strain, Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow). I know that the last two are Psp ports and that Logan's Shadow just recently came out for the PS2 earlier this year but this might be the closest we get to having the Syphon Filter series on the PS3. Four years and no new PS3 version of Syphon Filter? Come on Sony.

My other pick is probably something that only I want but I'd also like to see a Bust-A-Groove 1/2 collection with online multiplayer for both. That could literally steal some of my fps time away from me. And yes, I know that BAG 1/2 were PS1 games but I just thought I'd throw them in anyway(there is an import only PS2 version but I haven't played that yet).
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 10-24-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Siren 1 and 2, especially considering we never got Siren 2 here.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Siren 1 and 2, especially considering we never got Siren 2 here.
    Siren already had a full remake, which IMO is a significant improvement over the original. It would be nice if they gave Siren 2 the same treatment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Siren already had a full remake, which IMO is a significant improvement over the original. It would be nice if they gave Siren 2 the same treatment.
    It was more of a retelling than anything and as frustrating as it was, I wouldn't mind seeing the original getting a slight graphical upgrade. Plus, it would give them an excuse to finally release the sequel state side, since people would have an actual interest in it because of Blood Curse.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm just mind boggled noone mentioned Micro Machines V4!!!

on a serious note Max Payne!

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Tomb Raider is getting a trilogy release. The PS3 trilogy release Underworld as well as the PS2 versions of Legends and Anniversary on the same Bluray. I guess I can wait to pick this up for under $20 since I already have the PS2 versions, just don't have Underworld.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1140977p1.html
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm imagine the HD versions of Legend and Anniversary would be ports of the Xbox 360 versions.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-20-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    It was more of a retelling than anything and as frustrating as it was, I wouldn't mind seeing the original getting a slight graphical upgrade. Plus, it would give them an excuse to finally release the sequel state side, since people would have an actual interest in it because of Blood Curse.
    I couldn't agree more. Siren is a wildly underrated series, and we didn't get the best entry here in the states. Blood Curse is great too, but Siren 2 is the way to go.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I'd love a Twisted Metal collection
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Devil May Cry Collection is rumored to have a release. All games in the series on both the PS3 and the 360.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/8...ded-to-ps3360/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Phantasy Star Generations

Phantasy Star Generations in English on the PS3 or whatever reason for that matter.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would love to see a Final Fantasy 8 - X remake.

X is pretty recent though so hope not, but 8 can defintley benefit.
    7 would have everyone complaining about it not being the original, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Zone of Enders HD Collection announced. MGS Includes the PS2 and PSP(Peacewalker) Metal Gear Solid titles.

*edit*

Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD Collection as well.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-02-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since this was bumped, I thought I'd revisit some things.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Resident Evil 4? Of course the PS2/PS3 controller sucks for that game...so maybe not. Then again, it's Capcom. I've heard they like to re-release games from time to time.
    They could always offer support for the Move, then they could retain the Wii style controls as an option.
    A PS3/360 release is now confirmed, and although I haven't seen in confirmed, it's widely believed that the PS3 version will support the Move accessory.

It's not a Playstation 2 emulator running original code. So I'm sure they're going to be the definitive console versions of these games and that they won't restrict themselves to just using the assets of the Playstation 2 titles as they port them over. I suspect that Pandora Tomorrow for example will have all the benefits of the PC and Xbox versions while having things like the bonus mission that the inferior PS2 and GameCube version of the game had to compensate for the downgrading.
    Their Splinter Cell collection is confirmed now to be based on the PC versions. I never thought basing it off the least capable versions in the series for an HD revamp made much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I vote for the three Syphon Filter games(The Omega Strain, Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow). I know that the last two are Psp ports and that Logan's Shadow just recently came out for the PS2 earlier this year but this might be the closest we get to having the Syphon Filter series on the PS3. Four years and no new PS3 version of Syphon Filter? Come on Sony.
    Looks like your getting your wish with Sony's new PSP remastering program for the PS3. Lots of rumors in recent weeks before that announcement about the PSP's Syphon Filter games coming to the PSP. And now that we know officially that there is a PSP remastering program in place for the PS3, the rumors are looking even better. Wouldn't be surprised to see a collection announced at E3 with HD versions of all three.