Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Default Virtual Boy Questions

So I picked up a loose (and by loose I really do mean loose, even the stand was not included) Virtual Boy the other week for $10 at a thrift store. As I had never seen one in public before, I had to pick it up.

I have a couple of questions:

- Would I be better off tracking down an official stand or should I just make my own?
    - How in the world do you power this thing? I've read that it supports AC and batteries. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you need a controller to power the system, correct?
    - If you need a controller to power it, is there any way to "mod" the system to bypass that. I'd really like to test the system with an AC adapter before investing in a controller, stand, etc. If someone had a pinout, that would be great.
    - Where could I get the eye cover thing at? I'm assuming eBay of course but are there other places? Could I possibly make one?
    - What are some recommended games that wouldn't cost a fortune to buy? I already have Mario Tennis.
    - Would I be better off getting a controller and stand for this one or should I sell this one as-is and buy me a complete one later down the road?

Thanks for the help. This would be a neat addition to my collection and would make up for when I sold my 3DO a few months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1-you could, set it up on something, its not easy to track down one without the entire console.
    2-An ac adapter AND batteries. The ac adapter is the SNES adapter which you can use, or 6 (i think) double a batteries in the controller's backside (an additional adapter is needed to take use of the plug in way, its a box like the one that comes with the controller just with an outlet).
    3-possibly a way, but why would you need that? its fine where everything is. Im sure Nintendo looked at all the possibilities on where it could go. Not trying to flame here.
    4-look online? google "virtual boy eye cover replacement accesory to buy"
    5-Sadly, VB has very expensive games and only 15 or so VB games in its library. Wario World is the best one on the system, you CANT miss that one if you are anywhere near VB collecting. Also Telero Boxer.
    6-It needs a controller, and its hooked up via the VB. A stand is a must, but stacked on some books or something is about the same effect-still leaves a stiff neck.

hope at least 1 point helped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    So I picked up a loose (and by loose I really do mean loose, even the stand was not included) Virtual Boy the other week for $10 at a thrift store. As I had never seen one in public before, I had to pick it up.

I have a couple of questions:

- Would I be better off tracking down an official stand or should I just make my own?
    - How in the world do you power this thing? I've read that it supports AC and batteries. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you need a controller to power the system, correct?
    - If you need a controller to power it, is there any way to "mod" the system to bypass that. I'd really like to test the system with an AC adapter before investing in a controller, stand, etc. If someone had a pinout, that would be great.
    - Where could I get the eye cover thing at? I'm assuming eBay of course but are there other places? Could I possibly make one?
    - What are some recommended games that wouldn't cost a fortune to buy? I already have Mario Tennis.
    - Would I be better off getting a controller and stand for this one or should I sell this one as-is and buy me a complete one later down the road?

Thanks for the help. This would be a neat addition to my collection and would make up for when I sold my 3DO a few months ago.
    I don't have a Virtual Boy myself, but I can answer some of your questions:

1)Up to you. I've heard playing it lying on a bed is the best way, so you don't even need a stand.
    2)Correct, the controller holds the battery pak or ac adapter.
    3)This one I have no clue on. You'll need to find research on this.
    4)Ebay is your best bet but if you're crafty you may be able to make one. Not sure what you can make it out of so it doesn't bother your eyes though...
    4)Wario Land is about $10 on Amazon.
    5)If I were in your situation, I'd probably keep the VB in a box without using it for years until I find the parts. I'd probably recommend getting rid of it though because it could be expensive to have to try and find the parts. Worst situation is you could end up having spent $100 to complete your VB to find out it doesn't work.
    I have a sig?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You won't need a stand if you modify it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Thanks for the responses so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rkotm View Post
    3-possibly a way, but why would you need that? its fine where everything is. Im sure Nintendo looked at all the possibilities on where it could go. Not trying to flame here.
    Just to confirm the system works before investing in a controller, stand, and other goodies. I wouldn't want to buy all of the items and then find out the VB doesn't turn on, has glitchy graphics, so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by rkotm View Post
    5-Sadly, VB has very expensive games and only 15 or so VB games in its library. Wario World is the best one on the system, you CANT miss that one if you are anywhere near VB collecting. Also Telero Boxer.
    Awesome, I'll put those two on my lists. I knew there wasn't many titles for the VB and I know Water World runs for a fair amount on eBay but I'd be happy with four or five games to have on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    4)Wario Land is about $10 on Amazon.
    5)If I were in your situation, I'd probably keep the VB in a box without using it for years until I find the parts. I'd probably recommend getting rid of it though because it could be expensive to have to try and find the parts. Worst situation is you could end up having spent $100 to complete your VB to find out it doesn't work.
    It wouldn't hurt me to put it up if necessary. $10 was a small investment for the Nintendo console that died in flames. Nice look on the Wario Land deal, I'll have to write that down for when I get the system running.

@Gameguy - Hmm, I wonder if my friend will let me trash his silly MW2 nightvision goggles for the harness.

I have the bracket for the stand (piece of metal, has two screw mount holes) so something could be done with that. Since I plan to have this on display eventually, having a mount would be essential but I'd love to try out a head mount and see how long it takes before I get a headache.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The stand that comes with the VB is very fragile. It breaks very easily
    at the black plastic point where the two wire foot pieces come together.
    If you can find one be very careful to use it on a non skid surface.

Just my two cents worth would be to buy a VB complete rather than
    try to find all of the parts. Mario Tennis is fun to play,,some of the other games
    are not worth the price. Most games make me go cross eyed after a few minutes of play.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

It's not really much more to get a complete Virtual Boy set. I paid $40 for mine altogether. Besides, I don't think they sold spare Virtual Boy Controllers, did they? If I were you, I'd buy a complete set, use the controller to test both units, and if they both work, sell one as a replacement console, or keep it as a backup in case one of them breaks.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for games, just get a Flashboy

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/hard...lashcarts&v=fb

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You won't need a stand if you modify it.

Is he playing Virtual Boy and ordering food at the same time? Now that's what I call multi-tasking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I saw an interesting project a while back where dude attached his VB to a desk lamp swing arm. He had to put stronger springs on, but the end result was pretty neat.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

dude..if i were you..i would just get a complete system online or something..

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good replies so far, I'm just going to go through the first post since I know you had some questions. We sell a LOT of VB stuff through the GOAT Store, so hopefully this will help more

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    Buy a whole console somewhere else. It will be cheaper in the long run. I've got all the spare parts except stands in the GOAT Store (namely because to find a nice stand is impossible, so I get all the extra stuff) and we try to be competitively priced, and it would still be about $60 to buy everything but a stand to make it work. You might be able to find the parts individually online cheaper on eBay or something, but once you pay for shipping on them all, again, it makes more sense to just buy a whole console.

You need a controller and a box to connect to the back of the controller. The battery packs when you can find them are relatively cheap because they suck batteries like no one's business, but the AC adapter packs are much rarer and cost more to find. Having said that, that is definitely what you want. The VB really isn't a "portable" system, so plugging it in isn't a bit issue, and it will save you the cost of the upgrade in probably 30 or so hours of play.

Not that I know of -- but seriously, if you're going to go for it, get a second console and hold onto that one if it works as a second core. A lot of the systems are starting to have connection issues, so a backup core system for $10 if it works is a great deal. And, if it doesn't, $10 for the parts isn't a bad deal either - it's what we have them for.

I can't imagine you could make one that would be decent. I've got one for $25, but again -- just buy the whole system and be done with it.

I like Wario World and Mario Clash quite a bit. Mario Tennis is great too. I think Vertical Force is a pretty good game. Galatic Pinball and Nester's Funky Bowling are okay, as is Teleroboxer and Red Alarm. Same with Panic Bomber.

I'd suggest avoiding 3D Tetris and Waterworld, they both really suck hard unless you're collecting.

Like I said, buy a complete set somewhere now, and then find out if it works and keep it as a backup either way. If you decide you don't like the console, you'll probably be able to sell it for the same price you paid for it anyway or close to it. Think of it as a cheap rental fee.

The VB is a fascinating system and one you'll probably either really enjoy or really completely hate. It's pretty polarizing. Having said that, it also holds it's value really well, and is a fun system to collect for because it is quirky, has such few titles, and although some are pricey, none of them are overly rare. Unless you start collecting Japanese titles, in which case you'll need to have REALLLLLLLY deep pockets to pull that off. Enjoy!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI the FlashBoy cart is now available direct from me (I'm the designer).

There's more information on my page

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gameboy415's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gameb0y415
    PSN
    Gameboy415

Quote Originally Posted by Galpus View Post
    FYI the FlashBoy cart is now available direct from me (I'm the designer).

There's more information on my page
    I want one!!!

I'll assume they include the same packaging/accessories as the original batches?
    How much would one cost (in USD)??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You get the cart and a USB cable, no box. The latest driver is available from my page.

BTW this version has battery-backed SRAM

$100 shipped

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gameboy415's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gameb0y415
    PSN
    Gameboy415

Quote Originally Posted by Galpus View Post
    You get the cart and a USB cable, no box. The latest driver is available from my page.

BTW this version has battery-backed SRAM

$100 shipped
    I'm still potentially interested, but I'm a bit confused as to why these aren't being sold on the "official" site/forum....
    Do you have any carts that are ready to go or do you require donor carts?
    If so, what games would work as a donor cart?

Also, since the box isn't included, is there a template I could use to print one out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still potentially interested, but I'm a bit confused as to why these aren't being sold on the "official" site/forum....
    I designed the cart and make them, Chris cased them and sold them for me through his site www.planetvb.com.

Due to several factors, I've decided to now do the distributing myself.

Do you have any carts that are ready to go or do you require donor carts?
    I have built PCB's, but no carts to case them (and get the connector from).

If so, what games would work as a donor cart?
    Any

Also, since the box isn't included, is there a template I could use to print one out?
    Chris will probably sell you a box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Galpus, would you trade a Flashboy for donor carts? I've got a partial case (around 25-30) of sealed Virtual League Baseball carts that I was going to trade KR155E a while back for two Flashboy's but it never happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

would you trade a Flashboy for donor carts?
    Definitely

Email me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thread necromancy!

I just wanted to post a quick note that I finally got my hands on a flashboy+

At first I couldn't get it to boot, but Galpus offered some quick and easy assistance by e-mail. There was no problem with the cart, I just needed to pad the rom I wanted to load. It took no time and it works great!

Definitely recommended. The only issue is that you can only load one onto the cart at a time. I'd love to see a micro SD version with the ability to load many games and run them from a menu. This isn't really a big issue though since there's really only a handful of games for the system.