Thread: Battletoads NES proto

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Battletoads NES proto

does anyone know if it exists? I couldn't find any info on it but the back of the box shows screens of stages that are not in the game! Any info on this is welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Prototypes from RARE during the NES era are some of the hardest to come by, though I can confirm a Battletoads proto exists as I own one:

I cannot however confirm or deny the extra vehicle found on the back of the box. Sorry, hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673 View Post
    Prototypes from RARE during the NES era are some of the hardest to come by, though I can confirm a Battletoads proto exists as I own one:

I cannot however confirm or deny the extra vehicle found on the back of the box. Sorry, hope this answers at least some of your questions.
    Wow, so it actually does exist! Thats awesome and I think there's a good chance there's some differences with the final version then, perhaps different stages! Why can't you confirm that by the way, do you get stuck at stage 3 when you play? Also, where did you find this and what do you think they are worth nowadays?

Thanks again, I was unable to find any info on prototype cartridges of this game at all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baraka View Post
    Wow, so it actually does exist! Thats awesome and I think there's a good chance there's some differences with the final version then, perhaps different stages! Why can't you confirm that by the way, do you get stuck at stage 3 when you play? Also, where did you find this and what do you think they are worth nowadays?

Thanks again, I was unable to find any info on prototype cartridges of this game at all!
    The game was purchased by a gentleman that worked for Rare (and a host of other VG related companies) at one point. Mark and I purchased the Battletoads prototype in a lot with a dozen or so other NES prototypes from the same era.

We haven't been able to look for differences thoroughly for two reasons:
    1. We have so many prototypes at this point that playing through each just isn't an option.
    2. Battletoads is F***ing hard!

At some point we'll do our best to play though a better portion of the game, but it might be some time before we do. The game has been dumped and preserved though, so at least the data is safe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeaglePuss View Post
    The game was purchased by a gentleman that worked for Rare (and a host of other VG related companies) at one point. Mark and I purchased the Battletoads prototype in a lot with a dozen or so other NES prototypes from the same era.

We haven't been able to look for differences thoroughly for two reasons:
    1. We have so many prototypes at this point that playing through each just isn't an option.
    2. Battletoads is F***ing hard!

At some point we'll do our best to play though a better portion of the game, but it might be some time before we do. The game has been dumped and preserved though, so at least the data is safe.
    That is awesome. I highly doubt that another copy will ever show up on eBay in that case though, unfortunately... I can beat the game (we're the winners of that Screwattack Battletoads challenge) and would love to compare the games in detail for both 1 and 2-player mode. Being a Battletoads fanatic I just have to try this out!
    Can't you sell like reproduction copies of the data? I know some people sell repro carts on eBay of stuff like this. Or does the original cartridge lose its value that way maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is awesome. I highly doubt that another copy will ever show up on eBay in that case though, unfortunately... I can beat the game (we're the winners of that Screwattack Battletoads challenge) and would love to compare the games in detail for both 1 and 2-player mode. Being a Battletoads fanatic I just have to try this out!
    Can't you sell like reproduction copies of the data? I know some people sell repro carts on eBay of stuff like this. Or does the original cartridge lose its value that way maybe?
    Mark and I have made numerous reproductions fro some of our unreleased games, but we've never ventured into released game territory. Games do tend to lose their value once they've been dumped and distributed. It's the whole idea of having something that someone else can't that gives most prototypes their value.

Let me look at the rom again and see if Mark and I can notice any substantial differences in the coding. If we see any glaring differences we'll give it another go.

Mark can get rather far in the game (fuck those Clinger Wingers though!), so we should be able to play through enough of the game to see if there's anything that jumps out at us.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mark and I have made numerous reproductions fro some of our unreleased games, but we've never ventured into released game territory. Games do tend to lose their value once they've been dumped and distributed. It's the whole idea of having something that someone else can't that gives most prototypes their value.

Let me look at the rom again and see if Mark and I can notice any substantial differences in the coding. If we see any glaring differences we'll give it another go.

Mark can get rather far in the game (fuck those Clinger Wingers though!), so we should be able to play through enough of the game to see if there's anything that jumps out at us.
    If Mark can get to Clinger Winger without warps, he can almost beat the whole game! I'm definitely excited and I hope you guys find something!!
    Last edited by baraka; 10-24-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Mark can get to Clinger Winger without warps, he can almost beat the whole game! I'm definitely excited and I hope you guys find something!!
    Clinger Winger is a stretch, though I can make it to the Terra Tubes fairly consistently. I'll see if I have the balls or patience to make a run at it this week and see how far I get.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I had a look at the manual earlier today and noticed that the stage shown on the backside is described in the manual as well! From what I could tell (the manual is Spanish), its an older version of Volkmire's Inferno, with a vehicle similar to the one in the bike-stage (stage 3), instead of the plane.
    Last edited by baraka; 11-02-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Given it a shot yet? Btw, to save some time you could warp from stage 1 to 3 and then from stage 3 to 5. You'll be at Volkmire in no time that way (10 minutes at most) but you probably know that already.

Sorry, I'm just excited...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything yet?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, this is never going to be tested, is it... shame

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, this is never going to be tested, is it... shame
    It is dumped and preserved, and it will eventually be tested. What you need to understand is that I have over 100 prototypes at this point, a full time job, and I'm going to graduate school. I also still have a bit of a social life too believe it or not. Some things take priority over testing a Battle Toads prototype. I understand that you really like Battle Toads, but that doesn't change the fact that I have some other things going on.

Many prototype collectors do not preserve their games, whereas I do. Each and every title that comes through my hands has been backed up and saved on a number of hard drives.

It takes a lot of time and energy to track down these prototypes let alone play through each and every one. When I do play through it, you will be the first to know. With that being said, it's not exactly high on my "to-do" list at the moment.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is dumped and preserved, and it will eventually be tested. What you need to understand is that I have over 100 prototypes at this point, a full time job, and I'm going to graduate school. I also still have a bit of a social life too believe it or not. Some things take priority over testing a Battle Toads prototype. I understand that you really like Battle Toads, but that doesn't change the fact that I have some other things going on.

Many prototype collectors do not preserve their games, whereas I do. Each and every title that comes through my hands has been backed up and saved on a number of hard drives.

It takes a lot of time and energy to track down these prototypes let alone play through each and every one. When I do play through it, you will be the first to know. With that being said, it's not exactly high on my "to-do" list at the moment.
    Now you know why I became a hermit with these things...you end up with too much on your plate, not enough time and everyone's screaming at you to test/dump/compare stuff....at this point I'd rather someone else deal with all that....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Now you know why I became a hermit with these things...you end up with too much on your plate, not enough time and everyone's screaming at you to test/dump/compare stuff....at this point I'd rather someone else deal with all that....
    I was thinking of you when I posted honestly. I can only imagine how many times you've been asked to test, dump, compare, and distribute over the years.

@Baraka: I don't mean to come off as rude, but you have to consider everything a person may do outside of classic video games. The game will be tested eventually, and when it is I will report back to this thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Baraka: I don't mean to come off as rude, but you have to consider everything a person may do outside of classic video games. The game will be tested eventually, and when it is I will report back to this thread.
    Its cool, I didn't mean to sounds rude or anything either and I understand your situation.

I offered you help as well btw through a private message, but you didn't respond to that. I can beat the game rediculously fast. In fact I just submitted a new SDA video for a new record time of beating the game. In other words, I know every little detail of every version of Battletoads. Since you didn't respond to that offer I think you rather not get other people involved and rather test it yourself, which is understandable. But in case you missed that message, the offer still stands