Thread: Japanese Genesis game

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hippytipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Japanese Genesis game

Hey all. Just picked this up today. Maybe someone can tell me more about this and what its worth. I haven't found any info on the net so far and I don't even know if this is a legit game multi game.

Thanks

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hippytipper View Post
    Hey all. Just picked this up today. Maybe someone can tell me more about this and what its worth. I haven't found any info on the net so far and I don't even know if this is a legit game multi game.

Thanks

Nothing that says ###-in-1 will ever be legit... Please note the stolen cover art on your game cover and generic "multi-game" label on your cart. It's a bootleg/pirate, probably of Chinese or Taiwanese origin.

Now in terms of value NES bootlegs like these go in the $10-20 range, as they are interesting curiosities in the game collecting world, I suppose a Mega Drive/Genesis one would fetch a similar price.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hahaha ok. Had a feeling.

Thank you much dude!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

A Genesis bootleg multicart would be worth around $5-$10. It might be worth more if the games on it are normally rare or unreleased, but if the games are common ones that were released in North America it won't be in demand.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Nothing that says ###-in-1 will ever be legit...
    Orly?

As far as price goes, Genesis/Mega Drive bootlegs seem to be rarer than NES ones. I'd say closer to $30.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    As far as price goes, Genesis/Mega Drive bootlegs seem to be rarer than NES ones. I'd say closer to $30.
    No way would it be $30, unless it had some really rare games on it like the Mega Drive version of Tetris or some unreleased hack.

This has been reposted for a few weeks already, there weren't any takers at $5 so the price has been lowered. I'm pretty sure the same guy had several of them a few months ago, and they were hard to sell.
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/vgm/2021482572.html

If I'm somehow wrong and they're worth a decent amount, I really should sell the ones I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Pirate multicarts on the Famicom were rampant, and still are to this day (I have several), but I've never seen a multicart for the Genesis. I don't see how they wouldn't be more rare than NES/Famicom multicarts.

Aren't there collectors of these kinds of things too? The few times I come across pirate cartridge games in the wild I can't help myself, I end up buying them if they're not expensive. I'd never do that for disc-based games, but there's something alluring about pirate cartridges. To think that somewhere out there some guys set up a factory just to churn out pirate copies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games makes me laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Pirate multicarts on the Famicom were rampant, and still are to this day (I have several), but I've never seen a multicart for the Genesis. I don't see how they wouldn't be more rare than NES/Famicom multicarts.
    They are rarer for the Genesis, but not in demand like the NES/Famicom ones. My favourite system is the Genesis but I'm more interested in NES multicarts than Genesis ones. At a video game oriented swap meet full of collectors, I tried to sell 4 boxed Genesis bootlegs together for $10 total, and there was no interest in them. When I had Famicom bootlegs or NES multicarts, there was plenty of interest. Now I'm just keeping the Genesis ones as they're somewhat interesting, but I doubt they're worth much.

The NES ones often have exclusive Famicom games on them like Galaxian, Space Invaders, Pooyan, Battle City, Twin Bee, Japanese Mario Bros 2, or even rare games like Tengen Tetris. What do most Genesis multicarts usually have? The ones I've seen usually just have a bunch of common games that were released in North America anyway.

Aren't there collectors of these kinds of things too? The few times I come across pirate cartridge games in the wild I can't help myself, I end up buying them if they're not expensive. I'd never do that for disc-based games, but there's something alluring about pirate cartridges. To think that somewhere out there some guys set up a factory just to churn out pirate copies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games makes me laugh.
    You only pick them up if they're not expensive, that's pretty much what I was saying. Disc based bootlegs are pretty much worthless, cart based are worth something but usually not that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    At a video game oriented swap meet full of collectors, I tried to sell 4 boxed Genesis bootlegs together for $10 total, and there was no interest in them.
    Man, if I were up there in Canuck-ada at that swap meet, I would have bought those. I find that kind of thing fascinating. Even though most of the games were probably already released here, they might not have been released over there. It would be pretty nice to find multicarts of Japan-only games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Here are the games that are on it..

The Flintstones
    Chase H.Q. 2
    Bare Knuckle
    Turtles 2 (not sure if that's Hyperstone or fighters)
    Castle Of Illusion
    Ms. Pac-Man
    Sonic 1
    Columns
    Flicky
    Shove it!

From what I've read, are some of these bootlegs setup with cheats and void of all logos?
    Last edited by Hippytipper; 10-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never sold one, but I've traded Mega Drive multicarts before at around $30 apiece. I'm not sure what a collector would pay in cash for them tho. Having the box makes it more desirable at least.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Man, if I were up there in Canuck-ada at that swap meet, I would have bought those. I find that kind of thing fascinating. Even though most of the games were probably already released here, they might not have been released over there. It would be pretty nice to find multicarts of Japan-only games.
    This was a few years ago, I'm not really planning to sell them now. I do think they're neat but I doubt that I'd be able to get more than a few dollars each as the games are easily available legitimately, if I'm wrong and the carts are worth big bucks I'd consider selling them. The four games were;
    Sonic & Knuckles(no lock-on feature)
    Sonic 3(no save feature, box art is really close to legit version)
    CutThroat Island
    The Flintstones

Since then I've found a few more including a loose Rock 'N' Roll Racing, I can't remember what the other one(s) were.

I know that bootlegs of games like the Mega Drive Tetris, the unreleased Ninja Gaiden game, or stuff like this or this would be worth something more. They have to be games that aren't easily or otherwise available for the system, it's the same reason why people are willing to pay big bucks for reproductions which are just homemade bootlegs that look nicer.

As for multicarts, a big appeal with them is convenience. It's very appealing to get multicarts as you won't have to keep switching out different carts, it's a big reason why I liked those for the Gameboy back when I took it with me everywhere. Most Genesis multicarts I've seen hardly have any games on them, the 10-in-1 that the OP posted is pretty much the biggest multicart I've seen, it's not like Famicom multicarts that usually have over 30 different games. I'd say the OP's cart is worth around $10(maybe $15) as there doesn't appear to be any repeats and the games are pretty good overall.