Thread: Costume Quest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Costume Quest

I wanted to post this here this morning but the forum was down, so I posted it on AA instead

Has anyone else tried Costume Quest?

It's available for download on the PSN network for $15. It might be available off XBLA as well, I'm not sure.

I downloaded a demo for the game the other night because I was in the mood for something Halloween related. I forgot about it until last night.

Costume Quest is a simple straight forward RPG that starts off with 2 kids getting ready to go out trick or treating. One of them gets kidnapped by a candy stealing monster and it's the other's job to figure out what happened and solve it.

This game was really really fun. The graphics, world and characters are all very charming and funny. The battle mechanics, while a little repetitive, are fun. The battles are interactive in the same way as Paper Mario battles (eg. Press X to dodge). The best part of the battle is watching your character's costume. Your character will transform into whatever their costume is supposed to be. I won't spoil any of them as they're really enjoyable.

The downsides of the game are the length and price. I started playing the game last night and beat it last night. Five or six hours tops. I didn't do everything during that time, but almost. The other downside is the fact that it costs $15. Too much for a download only game, particularly a short one.

Despite this, I 100% recommend this to someone who likes simple, fun and cute RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's on XBL too. I DLed the demo but haven't tried it yet. Looked fun and I do love Double Fine's stuff! Price is a bit much tho IMO.....might have to wait for it to go on sale.....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Downloaded this without trying the demo. It looked too damn charming from the trailer.

Tried it literally 5 minutes last night... was a tad dissapointed it wasn't voiced but then again...might be too much to ask from DLC.

Still can't wait to fully get engrossed in this game, turn off the lights and fully enjoy it.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe not more people are playing/enjoying this?
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally played the demo...and to be honest I thought it was boring and tedious. I love Double Fine....but this is a meh effort in my book.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Short, sweet, enjoyed playing through it and got 200G as well. Plus I'll get 800 XBLA points back from the October deal anyhow. The Statue of Liberty anthem is probably one of the funnest things this year too... even speaking as a limey here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like that the combat is similar to Super Mario RPG. I always liked the timed attacks, makes the combat less boring.

Good little game, with funny witty charm.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'm going to echo the cost complaint, but honestly I've wasted $15 on more trivial purchases in my life. The game itself, while short, was awesome. It took me a couple evenings to beat it, I accomplished everything on my first playthrough. I would have liked the game to have been a longer, contained more costumes, and had a higher difficulty setting. I even neglected to pick up my third party member when I was originally suppose to and still breezed through the level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My 8 year old son, 12 year old daughter and myself all
    played this game to the end.

Very charming and funny.

@ $ 5.00 per person, i thought it was money well spent.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Not to ignore Costume Quest 2 (featuring the evil dentist), but I wanted to reply to this thread to post a notice that on March 8, the Costume Quest animated series will debut on Amazon Prime as a Prime Original. I don't know if this game-turned-cartoon will be any good, but the preview videos make it look fairly good to me.

However, I don't like how they have already made two changes from the first game (which is what this series appears to use as its base). First, they changed Wren and Reynold's hair from black to brown. Why did they do that, to make them look more average or generic? Second, in the game, Wren and Reynold are twins and have a similar personality of being pushy and childish, always looking to be the alpha twin. In the cartoon, one (Wren) is brave and bossy, while the other (Reynold) is cowardly and hides. I guess they didn't want to have two people with "strong" personalities, and the boy was chosen to be the cravenly one, despite neither one being like that in the game's story and characterization.

https://amazon.com/Season-1-Official...dp/B07NLVR848/

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Hmm, I watched the first episode. It wasn't very compelling. I don't know if I will watch the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I skipped the first episode and started with episode 2, it was decent.

Never tried the game.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Finally played the demo...and to be honest I thought it was boring and tedious.
    Agreed. Old thread, but Costume Quest was sh**. Monetary value doesn't change my enjoyment of a game. $1 or $60, the game is either good or it's not, and Costume Quest wasn't good at all.

In comparison, I got Aqua Kitty for free and really enjoyed it, I had no problem purchasing it again when it cost me $25 plus shipping from LRG. I platinumed Furi before the LRG release, I finished Hotline Miami multiple times, each time it released on a new platform, PC, PS3, Vita, and PS4. I bought both retail versions of those titles. But if Costume Quest was ever retail and given to me for free, I'd either give it to someone else or sell it. I don't like sh** games in my library. After I played it, I gave it to my best friend the next time I saw him. Told him it was a pos which is why I'm giving it away, he thought the same thing when he later played it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-08-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I loved Costume Quest, but I don't know about the series. It doesn't look to follow the game at all.

Costume Quest was ported to the Mac, and I bought it off the App Store. Turns out they didn't test it with a wide range of Macs, because it didn't work on a few machines. Those people complained, and Double Fine decided to yank it off the App Store rather than update it. Such a shame... if it was still available and working on my current machine/version of Mac OS, I'd gladly download it again.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Sorry to say, but I watched through all of the episodes of the Costume Quest cartoon series that were available on Amazon.com. That's 12 mini-episodes turned into 6 full-length episodes. Though they had some good moments, they were mostly not worthwhile. The quality ranged from good for a bit here or there to boring or outright bad for most of an episode. There were quite a few lame parts or plots, but mostly it was forgettable or just dull.

I can't really recommend this for children nor adults. It had an ugly art style that intentionally changed its faces' appearances a lot (think of a stereotypical YouTube cartoon with references to "Internet faces"). The children didn't act much like children, so when they did act their age, it was weird and out-of-place. The plot and characters were just lackluster or awful at times. Overall, I'd say it would be smarter to stay with the Costume Quest games instead of watching this pale imitator.