Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario All-Stars is getting (another) NA release (this time on Wii)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it came with an art book, it might be worth it. Art BOOKLET, not so much. You're basically paying the usual $8 SNES VC price for Mario All-Stars and $22 for a soundtrack/remix album. Not terrible, but not great by any means.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I mean, I guess Nintendo can do it because that's what Nintendo does, but at some point I feel like this is a total rip off.
    Would you really expect anything less from Nintendo?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Would you really expect anything less from Nintendo?
    Bitching any and every time Nintendo makes a dime ..... would we expect anything else from you?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

People, this is good, support it! Fight DLC!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I shall respond to this news just as any red-blooded American male would...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just don't get how they can not include Super Mario World in this. Or, for that matter, the Super Mario Land games. The Mega Man remakes get *all* of the Mega Man games, the Sonic remakes get a whole bunch of titles on each, the Mario remake has to be the exact same as the first version published 16 or 17 years ago, but with a soundtrack?

I mean, I guess Nintendo can do it because that's what Nintendo does, but at some point I feel like this is a total rip off.
    Man, if it had all the Super Mario Land games then we'd be talking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

$30?

Zelda collection for Gamecube was free. Just saying.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zelda Collection cost the price of a Nintendo Power subscription or a $79.99-$99.99 GameCube bundle. I remember Wal-Mart having the bundle on sale for $80 on Black Friday, which is how I got it instead of subscribing to a poor magazine for the chance to get the game while supplies lasted.

Wasn't something that was free for most of us that normally don't subscribe or already owned a GameCube.

I just don't get how they can not include Super Mario World in this. Or, for that matter, the Super Mario Land games. The Mega Man remakes get *all* of the Mega Man games, the Sonic remakes get a whole bunch of titles on each, the Mario remake has to be the exact same as the first version published 16 or 17 years ago, but with a soundtrack?
    You don't get it? Fire up your Wii, click on the Wii Shop channel, navigate to the Virtual Console portion and then to the SuperNes section. You'll find Super Mario World already sitting there for $8 waiting to be purchased and downloaded. There's no reason to give it away as a freebie since it's been selling in the thousands as a digital download for $8 and this disc is already going to sell very well without spicing it up by tossing it in, leaving Nintendo with absolutely no reason to include it.

And Super Mario Land 1/2 are coming to the Virtual Console on the 3DS so they certainly wouldn't be given away as a freebie through inclusion on this compilation.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-28-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Zelda Collection cost the price of a Nintendo Power subscription or a $79.99-$99.99 GameCube bundle. I remember Wal-Mart having the bundle on sale for $80 on Black Friday, which is how I got it instead of subscribing to a poor magazine for the chance to get the game while supplies lasted.

Wasn't something that was free for most of us that normally don't subscribe or already owned a GameCube.

You don't get it? Fire up your Wii, click on the Wii Shop channel, navigate to the Virtual Console portion and then to the SuperNes section. You'll find Super Mario World already sitting there for $8 waiting to be purchased and downloaded. There's no reason to give it away as a freebie since it's been selling in the thousands as a digital download for $8 and this disc is already going to sell very well without spicing it up by tossing it in, leaving Nintendo with absolutely no reason to include it.

And Super Mario Land 1/2 are coming to the Virtual Console on the 3DS so they certainly wouldn't be given away as a freebie through inclusion on this compilation.
    Actually, sales on VC have been relatively poor in general, which is why Nintendo uses it as a dumping ground for old games without any effort at all to improve them. While I will be purchasing this, I am very sympathetic to those who see this as yet another money grab by Nintendo. I enjoy Nintendo games and frankly the Wii, but while they have always taken chances on the hardware side, they sadly seem content to keep repackaging and reworking a small group of IP generation after generation. I am also very disappointed in the total lack of effort on the SMB 25th anniversary DSiXL and Wii. Other than being red and having a logo on the cardboard box, the Wii package is completely unremarkable. Similarly, the DSiXL comes with an old game totally unrelated to the original SMB series (other than the obvious shared characters) instead of the more relevant NSMB and other than a few small black logos, it is a stock DSi XL. Of course, people seem more than willing to throw their hard earned money at Nintendo for the same thing they have already purchased many times before even in these difficult economic times. I guess they really do have a genius business model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SMB3. A demake of a remake of a remake of the original.
    Oh, fine, I'll bite. How exactly did you arrive at this?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    This collection is a rerelease of a remake. I'm not sure what he's thinking. And what the heck is a demake (He was constantly using that term along with remake in his post)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Actually, sales on VC have been relatively poor in general, which is why Nintendo uses it as a dumping ground for old games without any effort at all to improve them.
    It wasn't in the earlier days. Just do some searching, Nintendo several times lauded the success of the program and it's sales numbers during the first couple of years of the console. Or check out the Nintendo Channel and see how many unique SMW buyers and other major first party game buyers have logged into the service.

You'll find that in North America alone, at least 317,680 people have purchased Super Mario World (Yielding over 2.5 million in revenue for NOA at very little cost, not bad for a 20 year old property). And that's just the North American numbers and just those that have logged into the Nintendo Channel after purchasing and playing the game at least once. And they're not just buying it for nostaglia and playing a level or two, the average buyer has spent over 11 hours in the game.

It wasn't until most of the major first party releases were used up and WiiWare become Nintendo's focus that things slowed down.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-28-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was released at $19.99 and contained over 40 games including all of the Phantasy Stars, Shining Force games, and Golden Axe games including the 3rd one which never came out in North America.

Even when the earlier Sonic Mega Collection collection came out for the PS2 it included the Game Gear titles as a bonus.

What's the excitement over this Mario release with 4 games? It doesn't even have the original NES versions which I find is stupid considering it's supposed to be celebrating the history of the games. I don't get people rationalizing that this release is priced well when there have been so many better compilations for much better prices than this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The Zelda Collectors Edition was free if you registered 2 games and a Gamecube on Nintendo.com. No purchase was necessary. Most people got it this way.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The Zelda Collectors Edition was free if you registered 2 games and a Gamecube on Nintendo.com. No purchase was necessary. Most people got it this way.
    I'll admit to having forgotten that. But I doubt most got it that way. Only a select group of games qualified for it (Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Party 5, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, and 1080 Avalanche). I bet more people got it through the Nintendo Power promotion.

I remember only getting Double Dash at the time (Wasn't interested in the others, although I've since fallen in love with the various Mario rpg's). Explains why I bought a second GameCube instead to get it (Also needed a second controller anyways at the time and always liked having a spare console around, so it was a decent deal at $80).

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was released at $19.99 and contained over 40 games including all of the Phantasy Stars, Shining Force games, and Golden Axe games including the 3rd one which never came out in North America.

Even when the earlier Sonic Mega Collection collection came out for the PS2 it included the Game Gear titles as a bonus.

What's the excitement over this Mario release with 4 games? It doesn't even have the original NES versions which I find is stupid considering it's supposed to be celebrating the history of the games. I don't get people rationalizing that this release is priced well when there have been so many better compilations for much better prices than this.
    Because they don't need to.

The difference is many of Nintendo's first party classics are still strong enough to stand on their own years later, that's why. They're not bundling in large numbers of their games in compilations because they don't need to in order to sell them. If people weren't buying standalone rereleases of Nintendo classics with every subsequent generation of Nintendo systems, I'm sure they'd resort to creating compilations to entice people. But they're selling very well on their own merits yielding Nintendo far more money being sold individually then if they sold just a handful of compilations. Look at their GBA library for example. A huge percentage of their first party GBA lineup were remakes of earlier titles and they sold in the millions.

And the entire reason this collection is a retail release instead of a Virtual Console release is because there's too much value packed into this release. They were never going to sell Super Mario All-Stars on the Virtual Console for anything approaching the standard price of a SuperNes title because it would've killed the NES downloads. This way allows them to preserve the value of the original NES titles because they've sold well and continue to do so (Which is why they're not on here as a freebie, they want people to pay $21 on the VC for the NES versions) and also make money off Super Mario All-Stars.

Releasing it as a retail title solves the problem. It's allowing Nintendo to justify the higher price of what is just a SuperNes release at heart (Can you imagine the uproar if a 3,000 point download suddenly appeared on the Virtual Console?) and protecting the value of the original NES downloads on the Virtual Console. This is allowing Nintendo to continue to make money off their NES assets and also make money off this asset without one damaging the other.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection actually cost $29.99. Was a great collection and a great value though. I'd love Nintendo to do such a thing of course, but it just doesn't make any business sense for them since they're doing so well with their current model of rereleases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I was thinking that SMB3 has the extra red coins added into Super Mario Bros. 2 on the original Super Mario Bros. Advance. I looked it up and it seems that it's just a port.

With SMB2, it's a demake because they remade the remake and then they removed the extras off the newer version.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was thinking that SMB3 has the extra red coins added into Super Mario Bros. 2 on the original Super Mario Bros. Advance. I looked it up and it seems that it's just a port.
    The GBA versions of SMB2 and SMB3 were ports of a remake with a fwew slight changes and enhancements.

But this Wii release is just an emulated version of the original remakes from 1993 or so (Super Mario All-Stars). It isn't a remake of a remake.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-05-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I just don't get how they can not include Super Mario World in this.
    That's because the updated All-Stars adding Super Mario World wasn't released in Japan. We're getting what they are for this collection.

Not that anyone should care, the English-only new content was terribly bland. Another save slot and slightly touched up Luigi weren't much...
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

SMB3. A demake of a remake of a remake of the original. SMB1. A port of a demake of a remake of a remake of the original. SMB2. A demake of a remake of a remake of a completely different game than the original. SMB2tLL. A port of a remake(All these are based on US console releases only.) Who wouldn't want to throw $40 on a group of games that has more copies out there than any game in existance?

Yay! I'm buying the same game for the fifth time on a different console! So worth $40! Daaaay one puuurrrrrchaaaaaase!!!

I guess Nintendo is glad they can milk the same game for 25 years and people are still stupid enough to buy it again at a premium price.
    Nintendo is offering a value product at a reasonable price. They are offering this on physical media. Nobody gives a crap about your Nintendo bashing.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Because they don't need to.
    I'm sure it will still sell fine and bring in a ton of cash, and the general public would like it as they probably would only have a current console. I'm just wondering why people on this forum(full of collectors) are excited over this, most people on here would have several systems with the SNES easily being one of them. Why would anyone on this site be excited over this? It's not even a portable release for the DS or DSi. "Because they can get away with it" isn't enough of a reason for me to consider this to be a good deal worth buying.

I guess I was wrong about the pricing for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, I just went with the list price from Amazon. It's actually being sold for less than that now, but the list price is at $19.99 and several reviews on the site also said it was $19.99. I know it was more in Canada when it came out, at least $29.99 like you said. If I had a current system I would get a copy of it, there's really a ton of great games on it. I really like the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure why I'm interested in it, since I have a SuperNes and the original cartridge sitting right here.

I think most of it is because I enjoy seeing classic games I love get attention through rereleases.

There are also some practical advantages to it. I like the save state feature of Nintendo's emulator, I like the clarity that playing through component video brings to my favorite classic games on the Virtual Console, and I like the convenience factor of not having to switch to a different system if I decide while I'm playing on my Wii that I want to play a older favorite game. And my copy of Super Mario All-Stars has always been a little cranky since day 1 (Losing some saves while others are left intact).

And it's always interesting to see how these rereleases turned out (Seeing what was done right, what needed work, and checking out any bonus content that might be included).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-29-2010 at 06:18 PM.