Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario All-Stars is getting (another) NA release (this time on Wii)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    This collection is a rerelease of a remake. I'm not sure what he's thinking. And what the heck is a demake (He was constantly using that term along with remake in his post)?

It wasn't in the earlier days. Just do some searching, Nintendo several times lauded the success of the program and it's sales numbers during the first couple of years of the console. Or check out the Nintendo Channel and see how many unique SMW buyers and other major first party game buyers have logged into the service.

You'll find that in North America alone, at least 317,680 people have purchased Super Mario World (Yielding over 2.5 million in revenue for NOA at very little cost, not bad for a 20 year old property). And that's just the North American numbers and just those that have logged into the Nintendo Channel after purchasing and playing the game at least once. And they're not just buying it for nostaglia and playing a level or two, the average buyer has spent over 11 hours in the game.

It wasn't until most of the major first party releases were used up and WiiWare become Nintendo's focus that things slowed down.
    There are 36 million Wiis in the US. 317K download sales is terrible. There are tons of games released on the NES and SNES they could add, but they have no interest in going after minimal returns. Heck, even Nintendo has admitted in interviews that the VC was less successful than they had hoped and that they have basically stopped support for it. Nintendo loves WiiWare because just like Microsoft and Sony, they can charge a percentage to third parties to sell stuff at zero risk to themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I'm not sure why I'm interested in it, since I have a SuperNes and the original cartridge sitting right here.

I think most of it is because I enjoy seeing classic games I love get attention through rereleases.

There are also some practical advantages to it. I like the save state feature of Nintendo's emulator, I like the clarity that playing through component video brings to my favorite classic games on the Virtual Console, and I like the convenience factor of the download (Can play a game like SMW anytime I'm playing on the Wii without switching systems or getting a cartridge out). And my copy of Super Mario All-Stars has always been a little cranky since day 1 (Losing some saves while others are left intact).

And it's always interesting to see how these rereleases turned out (Seeing what was done right, what needed work, and checking out any bonus content that might be included).
    This is exactly why I am getting this when it comes out.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    There are 36 million Wiis in the US. 317K download sales is terrible. There are tons of games released on the NES and SNES they could add, but they have no interest in going after minimal returns. Heck, even Nintendo has admitted in interviews that the VC was less successful than they had hoped and that they have basically stopped support for it. Nintendo loves WiiWare because just like Microsoft and Sony, they can charge a percentage to third parties to sell stuff at zero risk to themselves.
    That's been a huge success, they're selling hundreds of thousands of digital copies of games that were developed and paid for years ago at a very low cost to themselves. That Super Mario World download must have a huge rate of return on their investment. Most retail games costing hundreds of thousands to develop on the Wii would love to see sales performance like that. All it cost Nintendo to release a game like SMW on the VC is a ESRB review fee (I've heard $5,000 for the ESRB to review a smaller digital release like these), a few hours of employee time preparing a small mini virtual manual, a couple minutes of employee time uploading the game, and the server cost to host the downloads). The vast majority of that 2.5 million in sales that we're aware of for SMW in North America is profit.

And there aren't tons of games released on the NES and SuperNes that they could add if they wanted to. The vast majority of Nintendo's library has been released on there with few exceptions (Games with outside licensing cost like Earthbound, games the emulators don't currently support like Super FX titles, etc.).

Again, things have slowed down. Most of the big hitters were released years ago leaving a trickle of often mediocre 3rd party releases from companies supporting the program, and Nintendo has refocused their efforts on WiiWare. But the Virtual Console was doing great for several years back when games like Super Mario World were released on it (10 million Virtual Console downloads during the Wii's initial 12 months on the market). Nintendo themselves have proclaimed the success of the program during the earlier years of the Wii and have even credited it's success for inspiring them to delve further into digital distribution with WiiWare in such things as the following interview. Because the program is doing poorly these days while companies like Koei release their products on it is no reflection of how it was performing in the earlier days when games like Ocarina of Time were being released on it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185358.html

And Super Mario World earned 2.9 million for Nintendo in 2009 alone (Excluding Japan and Korea even) years after it originally was released on the Virtual Console, with the program itself bringing in $66 million in revenue (In a year with far fewer VC releases then previous years and despite them giving away hundreds of thousands of VC downloads free to those that purchased the internet browser).

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071420p1.html

Clearly Nintendo was never just going to give away Super Mario World needlessly since there's millions to be made off it selling it digitally, which you disagreed with so much and which I think I've now proven.

The VC is declining since most of the very popular releases were released early in the program's lifecycle and Nintendo's focus has shifted towards WiiWare, but that doesn't make it a failure and I've never seen Nintendo even hint that it was.

And I think the appearance of a similar program on the 3DS that is going to sell GameBoy/GameBoy Color content and a second service on the handheld that will sell 3d versions of classic Nintendo console content is proof positive that Nintendo thinks they hit something worthwhile and profitable with the Virtual Console that they plan to continue.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-29-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I will get it only because I have a feeling it will be become rare. Can't explain the feeling, but I agree with that the article said when comparing with Metroid Prime Trilogy.
    Though they're billing it as a 'limited edition' it's still going to sell in excess of a million copies. In the end, it'll probably end up being worth more than most wii games, but probably less than the $30 it's gonna cost.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, first of all it's always fascinating to talk about *anything* Nintendo, because I guess as many of the responses in this thread show, there are generally two ways to think about Nintendo - you love *everything* they do, or you hate *everything* they do.

I fall in the middle. I think they do some great things, and some stupid things. Having said that, a few quick points:

- On low VC sales of stuff -- this is more of a decision about how the Wii stores data I think and less of a show of interest. By giving the systems no internal memory and no way to access external memory simply until recently (I think?), once you bought your games and the internal was full, you were generally done.
    - On paying a premium -- Yup, Nintendo's properties can do this because generally consumers are oblivious enough to buy based on Mario and nothing else.
    - On the package itself -- If this had Super Mario World on it, or if this had Super Mario Land 1 / 2 on it, of if this had the original Super Mario Kart on it, or even the educational Mario titles that no one would ever buy individually, I'd buy it. Hell, even Donkey freaking Kong would be something. But, I own these four games already on two systems and a Game Boy. I'm going to vote with my dollars that Nintendo should spend the minimal investment to add some sort of extras for people and not buy this.

I am generally a Nintendo fan. I don't like being felt like I'm getting ripped off.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^^
    Its pretty easy not to feel ripped off, don't buy it. They can't rip you off if you don't buy it.

But I will enjoy my collection and play the music cd everyday in my car till my ears bleed, not really, though I will get it on release.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Okay, first of all it's always fascinating to talk about *anything* Nintendo, because I guess as many of the responses in this thread show, there are generally two ways to think about Nintendo - you love *everything* they do, or you hate *everything* they do.

I fall in the middle. I think they do some great things, and some stupid things. Having said that, a few quick points:

- On low VC sales of stuff -- this is more of a decision about how the Wii stores data I think and less of a show of interest. By giving the systems no internal memory and no way to access external memory simply until recently (I think?), once you bought your games and the internal was full, you were generally done.
    - On paying a premium -- Yup, Nintendo's properties can do this because generally consumers are oblivious enough to buy based on Mario and nothing else.
    - On the package itself -- If this had Super Mario World on it, or if this had Super Mario Land 1 / 2 on it, of if this had the original Super Mario Kart on it, or even the educational Mario titles that no one would ever buy individually, I'd buy it. Hell, even Donkey freaking Kong would be something. But, I own these four games already on two systems and a Game Boy. I'm going to vote with my dollars that Nintendo should spend the minimal investment to add some sort of extras for people and not buy this.

I am generally a Nintendo fan. I don't like being felt like I'm getting ripped off.
    That's exactly how I feel about Nintendo and this release as well. I enjoy a lot of what Nintendo does, however, moreso than any other video game company, they milk every last dollar out of their fans for the same IP over and over and over again. Heck, even their VC program is designed to basically guarantee that whatever console they release next will require the user to repurchase everything they have bought on the VC. I would love for Nintendo to take bigger risks with new IP on the software side, just like they embrace risk on the hardware side. Unfortunately, they almost never do.

Having said all that, I am sure this will easily do a million or more units this holiday season. I agree with Gameguy though, as sophisticated consumers and collectors, we should be smart enough to recognize this as a pure cash grab and not a value at all. Of course, then we'll probably all end up buying it anyway, but at least we won't pretend that Nintendo is doing us a favor or fan service, which they aren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh already got it on super nintendo
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Wow, what a copout. So much more you could put on it. Oh well, expectations with Nintendo are set to low, as always.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Of course, then we'll probably all end up buying it anyway, but at least we won't pretend that Nintendo is doing us a favor or fan service, which they aren't.
    I've already decided that I won't buy it, but I just feel like this is such a wasted opportunity. I love good 2D platformers more than any other genre. I bought my Wii the day that I first was New Super Mario Bros for it. I will probably buy Donkey Kong Country returns day one. Beyond that, I own like four other Wii titles and have little interest in anything else, and rarely play it.

I guess I'm just disappointed that Nintendo has this great ability to make games in the genre that I really love, and they have re-released the first the same amount of times than they have made sequels to it (not including the Land series) -- NES, SNES, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and now Wii. Sequels are 2, 3, World and New Super Mario Bros DS / Wii. Is it too much to ask that instead of giving me the original game every five years, give me something new?
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still debating on whether or not I am going to purchase this one. I have the original All Stars, remakes of SMB for GBC (probably the best remake) and SMB2 in the form of Super Mario Advance. Plus, I have two copies of the original Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES, with a downloaded copy on of Super Mario Bros for the Wii (I picked this one up pro-bono).

As much as I would like to see the GameBoy games included, I'm not sure Super Mario Land would be worth it. It's not really that great of a game and there would have to be some major overhaul of the graphics besides just converting it to color. However, I too would love to see a rerelease of Super Mario Land 2. If they just added color I would be happy. While short, it's still one of the best Mario games out there. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Still debating on whether or not I am going to purchase this one.
    I'm also debating. I also have the original SNES All-Stars cartridge and the Nes SMB 2 and 3 carts. I really don't want to get this but I have a feeling that when they discontinue it(most likely next year) the price will start to creep up like Metroid Prime Trilogy did.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Count me in as one of the ones who will gladly get this on the day it comes out, despite the fact I own all three original games on the NES and already own the game for SNES. I think the extras packed in justify the purchase. Besides that, I can play it on my Wii without having to dig for the cords that go to my SNES.

I have admittedly been rabidly following this since it was announced in Japan. I put my $5 down at Gamestop this evening. Can't wait until Dec. 12th...
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, with this Mario anniversary merchandise coming, I'm more confused about the limited edition DSi XL having Mario Kart DS bundled with it. I guess that's because they already bundled New Super Mario Bros. with the limited edition Mario Red DS Lite two years ago.

I do like the red Wii though. Wish I had waited until there were better colors than boring, unimaginative white. I can honestly say that the only thing I want out of this is the soundtrack.

Gotta love the crowd here though. "We're not getting the red Wii or the Mario compilation in the US? WTF Nintendo?!" Then "We're getting the Mario compilation and a crappy red Wii? WTF Nintendo?!" XD
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Gotta love the crowd here though. "We're not getting the red Wii or the Mario compilation in the US? WTF Nintendo?!" Then "We're getting the Mario compilation and a crappy red Wii? WTF Nintendo?!" XD
    Welcome to the internet.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    "The Crowd"? Talk about a strawman.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of the fact that they're leaving out plenty of games (which I understand, as to maximize profit on those other games), they should have at least included the ability to play either the original NES versions, the All-Star versions, or the GBA versions. That wouldn't have ruined their profits on those games, and it would have given you more choices.

Christ, they're advertising the original sprites to SMB, when they're not going to be anywhere in the game?

Also, it should be noted that Super Mario World was once bundled with all the NES games once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Buapo View Post
    Also, it should be noted that Super Mario World was once bundled with all the NES games once.
    Yes, yes, several people now have commented on the existence of SMAS+W. (Indeed, it is much more correct to say that it is Super Mario All-Stars bundled with Super Mario World, and not SMW bundled with the "NES games".)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I also prefer the NES versions of these games over the SNES versions, would be great if they included these, but they won't. I guess it's to celebrate Mario All-Stars, and not Super Mario Bros. lol

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by starchildskiss78 View Post
    Count me in as one of the ones who will gladly get this, despite the fact I own all FOUR original games on the NES and already own the game for SNES. I think the extras packed in justify the purchase. Besides that, I can play it on my Wii without having to dig for the cords that go to my SNES.
    Gotta love the SMB2j repro
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]