View Poll Results: What is the best First Person Shooter pre-2000?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wolfenstein 3D (1992)

4 6.35%
  • Doom engine games (Doom/II, Heretic/Hexen, Strife)

6 9.52%
  • Quake series

6 9.52%
  • Build engine games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, etc.)

4 6.35%
  • Goldeneye 007 (1997)

19 30.16%
  • Half-Life and Counter-Strike

15 23.81%
  • Unreal and Unreal Tournament

6 9.52%
  • Marathon series

2 3.17%
  • Others

1 1.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best FPS from before 2000?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    And I agree with an above comment; if System Shock 2 was on the list I'd have voted for it. For those only familiar with Bioshock, to make that game they took everything that was great about SS2 and removed it. Except for atmosphere, they did keep a cool atmosphere, though that's debatable since not everyone liked that part of Bioshock.
    Yes, it's questionable as to the direction taken regarding BioShock coming from the group who developed System Shock 2. BioShock feels watered down in comparison, a SS2 for dummies if you will. The atmosphere and the level of customization found in SS2 I think given the time it was released set it apart from almost everything else, as far as single player FPS games from that time are concerned. Unlike SS2, once you beat BioShock, there's really little reason to go through again, not to mention no MP as is found in SS2 too. It's a refined game and one I enjoyed the majority of my playthrough of, but it's not my favourite or the FPS that sticks with me all these years.

Not to say all homage should be paid to the firestarter, but Quake in it's refinement of multi-player from Doom and Doom 2 in addition to providing a (then) truly awe inspiring actual 3D world for me sets it apart from the all the rest. It could be argued that without Hovertank 3-D there is no Wolf3D and without Wolf3D there is no Doom and without Doom there is no Quake. For me, there is no modern genre of FPS games without Quake.

As for GoldenEye 64, it could be said to be the turning point and genesis of all modern console FPS games. I've never owned a Nintendo 64 and with regards to the people I hung out with back in GoldenEyes heyday I was essentially the only person without the means to play it. As such my memories of GoldenEye consist of frustration and lack of involvement thanks to unfamiliarity with the N64 and in general non-keyboard based FPS controls. I remain sour to this day but I have lightened my attitude to the undeniable impact it had on the industry, and for that it does have my respect. This despite I have a huge inclination against playing console FPS games to this day (see: exclusion Metroid Prime 1 & 2). Keyboard+mouse or bust.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 11-01-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Doom. I'm not a FPS fan, but I love Doom. Also not a PC gamer and aiming up or down never felt natural to me with a console controller, so the arcadeyness/simplicity of Doom was perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    For me, there is no modern genre of FPS games without Quake.
    Hey, there's always Jumping Flash!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Hey, there's always Jumping Flash!
    Perhaps Iguana Entertainment (and by association Retro Studios) could said to be the benefactor of execution of Jumping Flash. I've heard of Jumping Flash but never before today had I actually seen the game period, let alone in action. I had no concern (see: money) for console games and having ok personal computers at the time certainly don't help in recognizing something like JF. Not to lump those at id in the same category but given their distinct spawned game design and direction, I doubt they drew inspiration from something like JF towards Quake and beyond. To me the motivation spawns from Carmack wanting to further his own implimentation of a 3D game world, expanding so far as the personal computer hardware progressed. To that end, I cannot say JF had much if any influence on the progress towards 3D first person worlds, specifically to the PC realm. It would be inaccurate to say if didn't lay some foundation to build upon as can be derived from similarities to Turok Dinosaur Hunter and by consequence Metroid Prime series.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 11-05-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something is seriously wrong here. I can only assume this poll is majorly skewed in favor of console gamers. GOLDENEYE???

I guess there aren't many PC gamers here. Anyone with a PC in the late 90's knows that Quake is the correct answer here (probably Quake 3 specifically).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

for me, my favorite is, to this day, Alien vs. Predetor on the Atari Jaguar…

I also enjoy to play Wolfenstein 3D on the Jaguar as well…

otherwise I am not a well player of FPS games as I have struggles to play them… it is a personal problem and I get alot of trouble from folks when I am physically unable to play a FPS because it is difficult…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Anyone with a PC in the late 90's knows that Quake is the correct answer here (probably Quake 3 specifically).
    On PC, Unreal Tournament was extremely popular as well, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To this day I still fire up Doom on a regular basis. I had a blast with Quake 2 deathmatches, in fact I've rarely gamed harder, but Doom is eternally appealing and has, in my opinion, aged better than many of the games on this list. The atmosphere is still convincing despite the dramatic evolution of FPS presentation and it remains a terribly fun and intense game.