Thread: Sharp NES tv needs repair

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sharp NES tv needs repair

couple of months ago i picked one up off craigslist, and, like any NES nowadays, it needed a new pin connector. It wasn't that bad at first, but has gotten worse, to the point where I can't play it anymore. I'm assuming id do it the same way you'd fix a regular NES, however I've heard that some old tvs hold an electric charge, and i dont want to be electrocuted. Is there any way I should go about changing it differently from how i normally would?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the connector first with a cleaning kit?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, when I first got it didn't work for shit and I did and it worked for awhile and still does but not as frequently as it should.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

What you need to worry about are the capacitors on the board that controls the tube itself. Look up some information on discharging arcade monitors, the same info will be useful for a TV.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I am not sure, cause I have never opened one of those up before, but you shouldn't have to worry about the capacitors. I wouldn't think that the NES side of it is anywhere near those things.

If I were you I would carefully take the TV apart without touching the capacitors, and just see where the NES part is located. Might be in a completely different section of the TV that you don't have to worry about. (That's what I'd assume)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    What you need to worry about are the capacitors on the board that controls the tube itself. Look up some information on discharging arcade monitors, the same info will be useful for a TV.
    Not exactly... there are sometimes a few capacitors on the board which can hold large charges, but the biggest worry is the tube itself. The tube is essentially a large capacitor, holding ~25KV. To discharge it, use a flat screwdriver, and alligator clips, connecting the screwdriver to metal touching the aquadag (coating on the back of the tube).

Here's a video showing CRT discharge, though some of the things he does and say are pointless and wrong, the technique is fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAiLtTDuf4 (~1:30 looks to be the spot). The rubber gloves especially are pointless... those won't stop the high voltage.

But if you're really careful, discharging the CRT and worrying about capacitors may be completely unnecessary. I've never seen the insides of the Sharp NES TV, but I'm guessing they didn't completely reinvent the NES... so there's probably a completely obvious way to get to the NES section without exposing the whole thing.

Oh... just did a quick search and came across this: http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...threadid=32789 ... sounds like some screws and connectors detach the NES section, and allow replacing the 72 pin connector. The whole service manual looks to be downloadable in one of those links.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB