Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Game Gear clone consoles?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is there any Game Gear clone consoles?

I mean, Newer consoles that play Game Gear like the Genesis has a bunch of newer clones. The Game Gear never gets any love .

The reason being is I'm going to have 3 of the most desired Game Gear games and I would like something better than a Game Gear to play them on because my Game Gear's screen is faded. The speaker works though. Also if there was something with A/V out it would be great.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm sure somebody's made an A/V out mod for the Game Gear. As for clone systems I don't believe that ones ever been made. I remember the Majesco Game Gears having a better screen than the original Sega ones though so that could always be an option for you.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I mean, Newer consoles that play Game Gear like the Genesis has a bunch of newer clones. The Game Gear never gets any love .
    Those "newer clones" aren't an effort of love - they're pieces of garbage, filled with sub-sub-sub-par hardware. The Game Gear is much better off not having cheap-ass clones made of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    The reason being is I'm going to have 3 of the most desired Game Gear games and I would like something better than a Game Gear to play them on because my Game Gear's screen is faded. The speaker works though. Also if there was something with A/V out it would be great.
    Chris Covell was one of the first (if not the first) to produce a functional color TV output method for the Game Gear. Details are here -

http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/c...ing/ggrgb.html

If you contact the OP of this topic at SMSPower, he'll gladly build you a unit for a nominal fee -

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11931

If you want A/V output, ask him for a "composite" modification. I had him modify my Game Gear for composite output, and it works great. No more staring at that washed-out GG screen.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a controler clone it has gamegear and Sega master system games Built http://www.ddrgame.com/retro-console...ug-n-play.html
    Last edited by johj1987; 11-07-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I have always been wishing for a replacement for Game Gear. Even if somebody hacked a cartridge from Game Gear parts to make a Super Game Boy type thing for Genesis that would be awesome. I would pay a lot for that so if any techies read this, get started. You will be rewarded with money/ and or video games. To have a consolized way of playing Game Gear like there was for Game Boy would be excellent, especially since I am a CIB Game Gear collector which is not very common either.

Game Gears themselves are dying. Their leaky capacitors may some day lead to the quick death of the systems and then all the cartridges will be useless, unless somebody makes a clone or pass through to Genesis. And roms are not a good solution because then what are your cartridges for? Looking at?

Sure you can have somebody take apart the Game Gear and replace the capacitors, but then those will die again later on. I dont call that a solution to the Game Gear's curse.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 11-08-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember reading something years about how Sega actually made a prototype Game Gear player for the Genesis but for some reason decided against going forward with it.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone hacked that "Coleco" branded Sega handheld yet? The one from a few years back that had SMS/GG games on it? The screen on that is pretty nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Has anyone hacked that "Coleco" branded Sega handheld yet? The one from a few years back that had SMS/GG games on it? The screen on that is pretty nice.
    Somebody has a good understanding about the Playpal clone, thinking there might be a way to somehow get other roms working in it, but I'm not sure about hardware.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Once you start talking about using other units to play GG roms on it, why not just use a Game Boy Advance or DS, or others which play emulated roms?

PS: That guy on SMS Power is in Australia, which costs a fortune to mail anything to/from.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

use other units to play gear games?I dont think it works well,clone is similar not the same

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about a Majeco Game Gear? It has a less blurry screen, and I've never heard of capacitor issues with the Majesco model either. There are negatives -- it doesn't work with the TV Tuner, most notably -- but that's fairly minor, and it will work with all of the games.

Majesco GGs were only sold in the US (and maybe Canada?), but they're not too hard to tell from the earlier Sega model -- while the shell is the same, the system is black instead of grey (Majesco GGs match the color of the Genesis, pretty much), the power button is blue instead of purple, the power plug area is black like the rest of the case instead of being a different color, and the three-ovals logo is all white, instead of red, blue, and green.

The only thing I wish was that it had improved on the battery life (or reduced the size, the system is comfortable and good looking but it's pretty big...), but no, no change there. Oh well, at least otherwise it's better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I haven't seen a Majesco Game Gear online anywhere, not even once though. I wonder how uncommon they are? All you have to do is look for a purple start button...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow ! I had no clue about the second game gear till this thread...

cool vid in case your intrested-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTljba7J_o
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I gave up on the Game Gear because of the poor battery life and poor screen. I remember playing someone else's system and wanting it back in the 90's, but when I finally got one around 5 years ago it wasn't as good as I remembered. I still don't regret selling off my Game Gear collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I haven't seen a Majesco Game Gear online anywhere, not even once though. I wonder how uncommon they are? All you have to do is look for a purple start button...
    While in person the color is the most obvious difference -- the black color really is different from the Sega grey -- in online pictures that might be tough to tell. You can look for the purple start button, but looking for the white "three ovals" logo, instead of the red/green/blue colored one of the Sega model, is probably the easiest way. If the logo's white, it's a Majesco system. It's worth it for the improved screen and, to the best of my knowledge, lack of bad-capacitor issues (so these shouldn't just fail on you).

Majesco's rereleased games come in black carts, just like the system; I have a few, and it's easy to tell the difference because with a Majesco rerelease cart in the GG (I have a Majesco one) and cart are the same color, but with any other cart in the cart is grey and the system black.

Oh, and that video does a good job of pointing out most of the differences, but I do think the screen is a little better...
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 11-08-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    While in person the color is the most obvious difference -- the black color really is different from the Sega grey -- in online pictures that might be tough to tell. You can look for the purple start button, but looking for the white "three ovals" logo, instead of the red/green/blue colored one of the Sega model, is probably the easiest way. If the logo's white, it's a Majesco system. It's worth it for the improved screen and, to the best of my knowledge, lack of bad-capacitor issues (so these shouldn't just fail on you).
    That is good to know. Because my third Game Gear now is showing signs of the video capacitor wanting to go out. Game Gears and Microvisions must be the retro handheld equivalent of early model Xbox 360s, they just didn't start failing like crazy till they were old.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The capacitor problems aren't present in the Majesco's, otherwise they're no better. The screen is still one of the foggiest/fuzziest of any hand held.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While we're on the subject of Game Gear, anyone have game recommendations? I already have:
    Mega Man
    Shining Force Sword of Hajya
    Gunstar Heroes
    Shinobi 1
    Street of Rage 1

Also some Sonic games

The bolded ones I don't have yet and I am waiting for in the mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Master of Darkness was a good Castlevania clone. I think it was called Vampire here in the US. Both of the Shinobi's were great, Columns(if you like puzzle games) and Mortal Kombat 1&2 to name a few you should look for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Master of Darkness was a good Castlevania clone. I think it was called Vampire here in the US. Both of the Shinobi's were great, Columns(if you like puzzle games) and Mortal Kombat 1&2 to name a few you should look for.
    Thanks, Vampire looks really great, and I'll look into buying the second Shinobi. Don't like puzzle games, And I was never really thrilled over Mortal Komba besides how does Mortal Kombat work with only 2 buttons?