Thread: Zero Tolerance - Genesis Preview/Proto?

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zero Tolerance - Genesis Preview/Proto?

So, I bought this cart a few years ago just because the label was odd. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while, and reading the posts in this section have taught me to look twice when I see a cart with an odd label. This one looks like the real deal to me, but I am admittedly not an expert. What do you guys think? By the way, the "P" on the label was colored in with marker when I bought it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good news, bad news.

The good news: You have yourself a prototype!
    The bad news: This is one, if not the most commonly found Genesis prototype on the planet.

Still a very cool find none the less. I know there are copies of this title out there with differences, so I would play through it a bit and see if you find anything fun.

Congrats on the find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be happy to talk about differences...except I don't have a copy of the original game to know what those differences would be. FPS on the Genny just isn't really my cup of tea, though I know some people go nuts over the genre. I remember booting this cart once right after I got it just to make sure that it worked, but that's all I know about it. I just never got into any rush to open it up and take a pic because I didn't have the security bit to fit the screws on the back...then yesterday at work I ran across a set, thought about the cart, and took them home to do some open-cart surgery.

Either way, I'm glad to know SOMEthing about it at least, even if it is common in the land of prototypes. I knew it obviously wasn't an unreleased game, but it still can't be a common occurrence to just find one in the wild, so...I'll carry that with me at least!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had some time this afternoon, so I booted it up. Here's a shot of the copyright screen and title screen. Sorry for the quality...I don't have a screen-capturing setup. No idea if any of this is different from the final release or not. If anyone cares, I'll try to get some gameplay shots. I'm getting the feeling nobody really does, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkwingduck13 View Post
    Had some time this afternoon, so I booted it up. Here's a shot of the copyright screen and title screen. Sorry for the quality...I don't have a screen-capturing setup. No idea if any of this is different from the final release or not. If anyone cares, I'll try to get some gameplay shots. I'm getting the feeling nobody really does, though.
    Play it. If it has 'cartoon' cariactures on the HUD as opposed to digitised ones, its the proto

I remember Sega Power reviewed the proto, and i was surprised when on playing it, the character pics changed......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by man_traic View Post
    Play it. If it has 'cartoon' cariactures on the HUD as opposed to digitised ones, its the proto

I remember Sega Power reviewed the proto, and i was surprised when on playing it, the character pics changed......
    I gave it a try earlier, and it does indeed have a "cartoon" headshot on the HUD rather than any type of digitized photograph. If you're still interested in knowing more, I can take some more still pictures, but I have no way of capturing footage for the game. I did pick up a shotgun and bulletproof vest right off in the starting area, and faced a bunch of red-coated goons. I'm not sure if I was actually taking damage. The screen did flash red now and then, but I killed 15 or 20 guys before the movement started making me queasy and I turned it off.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one of these a little while ago. Put up a thread about it on this forum but then the place crashed and it was gone!

I also put a pretty identical thread up over on sega-16 with pics -

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13476

Yours anything like my one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going by the thread on Sega-16, the faces are similar in both of ours, though I don't know if mine change...I didn't look at the map screen. I've also never played the retail release at all, so I've got nothing to compare it to. I know the enemies are red in mine, so that's one difference between mine and yours. I'm sure yours is earlier. Mine has no story setup, just dumps you into the first level where you pick up the shotgun and bulletproof vest. My start screen is different than yours, too...no level-select, at least not that I saw.
    I am the dryer that eats all your left socks...
    I am the weedwhacker in the garden of evil...
    I am the terror that flaps in the night...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, so I went back and booted it back up again. Mine has two options when you boot it: Start and Options, and if you click on Options you get the level select like yours has, o1s1n. The hands in mine have gloves, the map looks like yours except at the top it says "Space Station: Not secured".

These are the options from the menu:
    A:
    Space Station
    High Rise
    Basement

B:
    One Player
    Two Player (Link)
    Two Player (Edge)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, double-post.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for that. Great to hear they're not exact copies.

Seems yours is futher along than mine alright. You even have a two player link cable option. Nothing like that in mine! I even tried it out with a link cable between a Nomad/Megadrive just to be sure.

Do the player card/faces change every time you pause the game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, they do. I hadn't thought to check for that until you pointed it out. Of course, since I don't have the original game, I have no clue what to look for in terms of differences. Still, I'm happy to have just found a prototype in the wild. It's a pretty cool feeling! Someday I'll have one of these bidding war things in order to get the ROM released.

That there's a joke, son, Ah say it's a joke.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the player cards is a huge difference. They look totally different in the finished game.

You should pick up a copy of the retail version and do a live comparison if you have the hardware for it. It's pretty interesting. I ran the prototype on my console/tv and then ran the retail version on my Nomad. So was able to see all the differences instantly

You could do the same by running the full version on an emulator on your PC while playing the proto along side it.

Did you find it at a garage sale or something? I got mine on ebay from someone in the UK who worked for a well known games magazine.

I'm not sure what the current status is on these being dumped. I asked the guys in that thread and they seemed to think that the version with these different player cards was currently undumped. I know mine hasn't been yet.