Thread: A little help please....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A little help please....

Hey guys,

Ok.... Ive been slowly tryin to add some must haves to tiny collection, but two got me stumped.

Revenge of shinobi --sega gen.--With spiderman, batman and godzilla intact.

Maniac mansion --nes-- with microwave/hamster scene

I see these carts here and there but dont know how to tell if there the first ones that werent edited. I would really hate gettin stuck with a revision knowin there could be a way to check for the original in the wild.

thanks as always guys!!! Any help or thoughts would be great!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Read here for information on Revenge of Shinobi. Problem is you can't tell I don't think without playing the game.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I was under the impression that the so-called 2nd printing of Maniac Mansion for the US/NTSC version of the game was an urban legend.

The wiki article states that there was a 2nd run, but I've never come across a cart where you couldn't microwave the hamster.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I was under the impression that the so-called 2nd printing of Maniac Mansion for the US/NTSC version of the game was an urban legend.

The wiki article states that there was a 2nd run, but I've never come across a cart where you couldn't microwave the hamster.
    I've never seen one either.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I can't tell with Revenge of Shinobi, I have a nice complete copy and there's only the 1989 date on the case yet it's a later version of the game.

Same with Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, I can't tell which copies have Thriller and which ones don't. I've never seen a complete copy in person though so there might be a difference with the packaging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys... Looks like im gonna have to gamble!!! lol
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Yeah, I'm still looking for a Revision 00 of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker myself. Between that and Revenge of Shinobi, there is no way to tell unless you actually play the game. There are no differences between box art, manuals, anything. Which is a bit of an annoyance since few sellers seem to know specifically what the game contains.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

***UPDATE***

I rolled dice at the local game shop on a clean copy of maniac mansion.
    The gold sticker on the back has a 00 stamped in and a rev-a on the right. I have no clue if that means anything but after a lil bit of playing I found I got a non-censored copy. Maybe there is no censored version and it is a urban myth??? Who knows but i got mine!!! !!!

I think shinobi may be a lil bit harder but im gonna try...
    And thanks for the heads up about moon walker now i got to add that to my list too...

Hey whats really cool is the batt. in my maniac mansion seems to still have life in it! It held a save for more then 2 days, so im happy. Whats weired is with my copy of mario allstars wich is quite a few years newer the batt. is already startin to fail.... Whats up with that??? Even my copy of zelda holds a save still....
    Last edited by hellraiser; 11-21-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    I rolled dice at the local game shop on a clean copt of maniac mansion.
    The gold sticker on the back has a 00 stamped in and a rev-a on the right. I have no clue if that means anything but after a lil bit of playing I found I got a non-censored copy. Maybe there is no censored version and it is a urban myth??? Who knows but i got mine!!! !!!
    I'm 99% sure that no revision of Maniac Mansion exists, at least in the US. The PAL version, on the other hand, had the microwave hamster thing removed. But, if you compare the NES version to the PC version, then yes, the NES version is heavily censored!

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've noticed that with Revenge of Shinobi you have a good chance of getting the unedited version if you find a copy that isn't a Sega Classics re-release. Also the version of the game on the Genesis 6-Pak and Sega Classics Arcade Collection for Sega CD are the complete edited copies, along with the mention Sega Classics release.

Since people brought up Maniac Mansion for the NES I figured this link might be interesting. It's a nice little write up from one of the guys that worked on the NES port and talks about all the crap they had to go through with Nintendo.
    http://www.crockford.com/wrrrld/maniac.html
    Last edited by todesengel; 11-21-2010 at 10:31 AM.