Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console/computer you like that others "Hate" on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Console/computer you like that others "Hate" on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPiXhmv2Bw

PLEASE WATCH AND PARTICIPATE in my open TAG.
    Topic: Console or Computer you like (or love) that others "Hate" on.
    This is an open tag so please respond in comments or even better video form and give your story about a console or computer you happen to think is great that others tend to dislike, crap on or down right despise. One mans garbage is another mans treasure as they say and this certainly applies to consoles and computers. YES there actually ARE people out there who enjoy Atari 5200/Jaguar/Virtual Boy/Lynx/3DO/CDi that many others simply think are not worth a second look! If you enjoy on of these or another less than popular console/computer then PLEASE chime in with your story!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

As far as consoles, I've always loved the Atari Jaguar. All the arguments against it tend to be from people with very little to no first-hand experience. "The controller is huge and clunky." Well, sure it looks that way, but once you hold it and play something with it you'll realize it's very comfortable and you'll never get hand cramps. "There's no good games on it." There are quite a few good games on it if you'll give it a chance. Ignore what others say and make up your own mind rather than letting internet consensus do it for you.

When it comes to computers, my first one was the Texas Instruments 99/4A. And there's a lot of merit in the arguments against it. Yes, it's BASIC interpreter is slow. Yes, there's a hell of a lot of edutainment software on it. But once you start digging deeper, you'll find some pretty good games and really quality ports on it. Unfortunately with the TI, you'll have to dig deeper than with other computers. Mainly because you'll only find the early cartridge releases in the wild, which are usually dirt common educational or home finance stuff and not the later 1983 and onward carts that have all the good games on them. And you have to really be a big TI junkie to dig deeper into the floppy disk and cassette games to find European MSX ports and the like.

I disagree to an extent with your explanation for the '84 market crash. Everybody has their beliefs on why the game market took a nose dive, and to an extent they're all right. The main problem is that it wasn't one or two things that happened, it was several. Atari did flood stores with games like E.T. and Pac-Man that wouldn't sell, too many companies were releasing bad games, Atari's incompetent management that forced stores to buy games for an entire year all at once, and so on. Atari was also spending massive amounts on research and development, with (what I've read) 180 buildings strewn across Silicon Valley creating everything from holographics to videophones. Then suddenly the marketplace was flooded with home computers that kept getting cheaper and cheaper all the time, giving kids the opportunity to create their own games rather than just play them. The 1984 video game crash happened because of a convergence of problems, not just 'bad games flooded the market'.
    Last edited by Steve W; 11-11-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I disagree to an extent with your explanation for the '84 market crash. Everybody has their beliefs on why the game market took a nose dive, and to an extent they're all right. The main problem is that it wasn't one or two things that happened, it was several. Atari did flood stores with games like E.T. and Pac-Man that wouldn't sell, too many companies were releasing bad games, Atari's incompetent management that forced stores to buy games for an entire year all at once, and so on.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make, you just have a better way of explaining it. Yes my focus was really just about the people that go on about "E.T. caused the videogame crash" and how so many people including kids that we're not even born yet say the same thing. Of course you are right it was a result of several things indeed, and to be fair I DID say both E.T. and bad games flooding the market were contributing factors. Anyway I just wanted to get a discussion going and get different opinions and judging from the comments so far on my video that is exactly what is happening. I certainly don't claim to be any type of authority on these subjects but I do look forward to different takes and ideas.

Great response and thanks!
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 11-11-2010 at 04:37 AM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

These youTube posts are always not very relevant.
    Video game crash was 83, not 84
    Nintendo Virtual Boy, very small library of games, but many good titles.
    Atari 5200 has a small, but very excellent library of gaming titles. And they are not just re-hashes of VCS titles.
    Atari Lynx, 80% excellent library of games.
    Atari Jaguar has a 40% of excellent titles in its library.
    Compare that to NES/Famicom with its 2000 games library, maybe 20% good to excellent titles, no more.
    Philips CDi was never intended to be a gaming console (source: Philips, Holland), with the restricted hardware, some developers did quite an amazing job doing games on CDi
    Last edited by tom; 11-11-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Okay.....well I am actually aware of the details you've posted just thought it would be a fun video to do and get some responses to it.........appreciate your reply none the less THANKS.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 11-11-2010 at 02:52 AM.
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

There is actually some debate about whether the actual crash was '83 or '84. To me, '84 is the more accurate date because that's when the effects of the crash started to be felt by consumers. The argument for the '83 date is related to more of what was going on behind the scenes, so to speak.

Atari 5200 has a small, but very excellent library of gaming titles. And they are not just re-hashes of VCS titles.
    Atari Jaguar has a 40% of excellent titles in its library.
    Compare that to NES/Famicom with its 2000 games library, maybe 20% good to excellent titles, no more.
    Philips CDi was never intended to be a gaming console (source: Philips, Holland), with the restricted hardware, some developers did quite an amazing job doing games on CDi
    All personal opinions, of course, and all that can be argued against if one were willing. That was kind of the original point of the video, arguing for your favorite "misunderstood" system...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree on all of these, I joked with a friend the other weekend that I have a soft spot for crappy video game systems.

I actually got a Virtual Boy from Tronix when they first got the Japanese version in stock long ago and thought it was awesome. Red Alarm is still fun to me and many of the games really give a feeling like you are "in" another world since you are totally blocked to the outside world. Many people complain that it is mono in color, but then again so is Asteroids and the original gameboy, but do those suck? Nope.

The 5200 I only got recently and had never played as a kid nor through an emu. I think many of the games are great, but yes the controllers are crap. This is a system that I think would've been much more successful had the crash not happened and Atari had released better controllers or more 3rd party controllers were available.

Lastly the Lynx is also one of my favorite systems. In my early teens I drooled over the system and all the advertising that Atari was doing for the games. It wasn't until a couple years later when they were being sold with 4 games for $99 that I finally got one. Fast forward to today and I have a nearly complete Lynx collection. There are some stinker games on it, but the system was far more advanced than the GB or GG.
    Last edited by madman77; 11-11-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easy, my undying love of the Sega CD brings laughs and riddicule to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For some reason when I bring the Sega Pico out at parties for a little Berenstein Bears action, I get laughed at.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    For some reason when I bring the Sega Pico out at parties for a little Berenstein Bears action, I get laughed at.
    Sonic the Hedgehog for the Pico pretty much defined me around age 5 or so.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Loguidice View Post
    There is actually some debate about whether the actual crash was '83 or '84. To me, '84 is the more accurate date because that's when the effects of the crash started to be felt by consumers. The argument for the '83 date is related to more of what was going on behind the scenes, so to speak
    Alot of people (myself included) saw the signs of the crash as early as 1982. It wasn't necessarily ET's fault, it was the culmination of many factors - but Atari was primarily responsible. It really began with their handling of Pac-Man.

In 1983, good arcade games were still coming out. 1983 was the year of Q*bert, Atari's Star Wars, Spy Hunter, Mappy, Gyruss, and Mario Bros. In 1983, you would be hard pressed to know that the market was crashing down around us - the arcades were still constantly full, and people were still happily playing their Atari's, Intellivisions, Colecovisions, or Odyssey 2's.

The crash didn't really become apparent until around 1984, when prices for video game carts and consoles dropped like a rock - most stores had them on clearance... Even alot of the newer consoles like the Colecovision and Vectrex. The games coming out in the arcade after 1984 just didn't have the creative "spark" they did only 2-4 years earlier... 1984 is also the year when alot of companies that were doing great a year before were suddenly bankrupt - arcades were closing right and left. The only arcades that managed to make it to the rebirth of the arcade in the late 80's/early 90's were giant chains like Chuck E. Cheese and Bally's Alladins Castles.

You can also debate wether or not it really was a crash, but that it was really only a market shift... Many people just simply switched from the arcade or their Atari's, to a Commodore 64 or Apple ][ - the market was still there, it just changed...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one console that I will always have a soft spot for is the 3DO. It was my first big purchase after getting my first job at age 16 back in 1995, shortly before the 3DO's quiet death. Shortly after getting the console, most retailers began slashing prices on games to make room for the spiffy new PlayStation and Saturn (more fond memories) which allowed me to build up a sizable collection quickly on my $4.50/hr.

I agree that there are a number of unimpressive titles in the 3DO library, but there are quite a few good ones that you never seem to hear anything about. I spent hours with Gex, Battlesport (vastly underrated), Return Fire, Road Rash (best version ever), Wing Commander III, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo (best home conversion).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by jwlowry View Post
    The one console that I will always have a soft spot for is the 3DO. It was my first big purchase after getting my first job at age 16 back in 1995, shortly before the 3DO's quiet death. Shortly after getting the console, most retailers began slashing prices on games to make room for the spiffy new PlayStation and Saturn (more fond memories) which allowed me to build up a sizable collection quickly on my $4.50/hr.

I agree that there are a number of unimpressive titles in the 3DO library, but there are quite a few good ones that you never seem to hear anything about. I spent hours with Gex, Battlesport (vastly underrated), Return Fire, Road Rash (best version ever), Wing Commander III, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo (best home conversion).
    I also feel fondly for the 3DO. Has some pretty good games. I even like Night Trap's 3do rendition. I love the controllers and the look of the systems themselves. I just lack the nostalgic value of the system as I first played it at 17 years old in 2008.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JW - that sounds like my story, I was about the same age working at McD's at the time and I purchased a new 3DO at the discounted price of $399. At the time it was absolutely the best there was, and it showed! So I have memories of it as my first big purchase of ANYTHING. And the games were not too bad either, I enjoyed it and still to a lot.

So the consoles that I like, that others "hate" on are definitely the 3DO. Another big one that I just love that everyone hates is the Sega CD. For it's time it was mind blowing (If you were not into computer games that is).

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    As far as consoles, I've always loved the Atari Jaguar. All the arguments against it tend to be from people with very little to no first-hand experience. "The controller is huge and clunky." Well, sure it looks that way, but once you hold it and play something with it you'll realize it's very comfortable and you'll never get hand cramps. "There's no good games on it." There are quite a few good games on it if you'll give it a chance. Ignore what others say and make up your own mind rather than letting internet consensus do it for you.
    I agree 110%. Especially when the system constantly deals with the stain of 22 to 25-year old nitwit magazine and blog writers who will talk all day long about how the Jaguar sucked but you know for a fact they never picked up a controller and tried it.

The feel of the controller is very natural and the Jaguar pad quickly became one of my favorites.

The system seemed to get a lot of scathing reviews for poor sales numbers, for not living up to expectations and because of the success of systems that happened to be competing against it, such as the original Playstation.

Other thing is that the list of "popular" Jaguar games is already well-documented. However, I always thought that a few of the games which got horrible reviews really weren't bad at all, such as Cybermorph and Club Drive. I enjoyed both of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got lots of them, but for me, it would have to be the N-Gage.

The earlier games were not the best ports of ps1 games, but they were decent (Pandemonium on my phone was worth the price of admission alone). Tony Hawk was also not a bad port and also had the soundtrack in there as well, which brought back some nostalgia for me.

There were also some incredible games like Glimmerati.

WarHammer 40K was a really good game because the way you played it make it feel much more like its tabletop counterpart.

Yeah sure it sucked balls to switch out games if you did not have a QD, but with some crafty sniping on eBay, you can get one for $50 or less.

OldSkool can vouch that I use my N-Gage everyday, as I use it as my phone. I also have a 2nd QD on backup in case I mess my main one up.

I have others, but they are not hated on near as much (well some are, but I do not love them, I just give them a good home, sometimes (like a red-headed stepchild))

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've got alot of nostalgic love for the 32X. At the time, I was too young to get a job, and my parents weren't budging on the idea of getting a pc (for uh, school-related useage..uh huh). The 32X was the only option for me to get to play Doom! (And the SNES version wasn't something that was even on my radar at that time.) The timing and price were perfect, so I ended up receiving it from my parents as a Christmas gift along with Doom and Virtua Racing Deluxe.

After fumbling with cables for upwards of an hour, we managed to get it attached and working with my Genesis 1. Subsequently I was lost in the bliss of VR and Doom for hours, and days, and months. Later I got super-scaler classics Afterburner and the almighty Space Harrier -- with just those four games the system was gold to me.

Of course back then I really didn't have a giant pile of games, and my Genesis was mostly relegated to playing Sonic titles, so maybe that is why the 32X shone more brightly for me than others.

Also, I never understood why some called it an ugly mushroom. I thought it looked alright. This is probably because I never saw it slapped onto the Genesis model 2. So for me, it wasn't so ridiculous. I still favor Virtua Racing Deluxe over the other home versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtual Boy for sure! Not only do people who know the system make fun of me for liking it... the name alone gets me laughed at. I'll be talking about it with someone at work, and someone else will drop into the conversation, ask what we're talking about... I say the Virtual Boy... and I typically get the raised eyebrow, then have to explain that's it's a video game system... like a _Virtual_ Reality Game _Boy_. And since almost none of them have ever played one, it's really hard to describe how awesome it is or why I like it so much.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Luvs my Virtual Boy! I got it back in the halcyon days of.... 2005! :P

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I absolutely love the Lynx and a majority of games in its software library.

And, as far as people hating on it, even in the days of the spinach green screen GameBoy and the Game Gear, it always seemed to be more of a matter of people being clueless about the sheer power of the thing (respective to the GameBoy and Game Gear).

Like all color portables of its time, it's totally a plug-in system if you intend to spend more than 20 minutes playing, but the awesomeness of all of the great Atari and Midway arcade ports are not to be denied.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"