Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GBA Appreciation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GBA Appreciation

This is a system which, from what I have seen, gets a fair bit more flak than it deserves. It is loaded with shovel ware, but there is a big library of really great games that really do run the gamut of genres. I just want to make this thread so people can call attention to some of the less written about games and really try and change the image of a system that is--unfortunately--plagued with bad PR and shovel ware. I also think it's a system us collectors should really pay attention to because a lot of the good software is still available at most gamestops (I.e. readily accessible) and many of the prices are damn good (2 bucks Iridion II, 5 bucks for Ninja Five-O).

I've been playing, as of recent, "Wade Hixton's Counter Punch." Fantastically funny and effective Punchout style boxing game. Really lively artwork that looks like it was drawn by Scott Kurtz of PvP fame. Vibrant colors and sprite-work only help it more. Also, to the best of my knowledge, it is the only game to feature a pimp, a gorilla, and a demon in the same game.

If there is a thread for this... ignore this. If it belongs in modern gaming... move this!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I don't really think this is modern gaming much anymore. I mean if you think about it, its predecessor the Nintendo DS came out 6 years ago. It had games for another year or two and then it was abandoned because the DS was so popular it was taking over GBA sales. It might be about time that the Xbox and GameCube are considered classics since stores already do. The only reason PS2 is not is because it is still out.

I love the system especially playing on GameCube or on the go on my original DS, but most of the time I end up playing more of the remakes of old games that were ported to it. The newer versions of Final Fantasy, Super Mario Advance Series, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Donkey Coung Country series, the Pokemon games.

The only games I reall have that aren't remakes are the Dragon Ball games and the Sonic Advance games unfortunately.

Games I don't have that I enjoy are Super Bust-A-Move, the Crash Bandicoot games (but not Spyro games because they seem a bit tedious to me in 2.5D), the port of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

I do know there's a lot of RPGs for it. My friend really liked the Summon Knight Swordcraft games and Golden Sun games. Also Demi Kids.

What I would really like to find is that import version of Mr. Nutz. Anytime I've looked on ebay when I had the money I only see the SNES, Game Boy Color, and import Mega Drive versions.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    What I would really like to find is that import version of Mr. Nutz. Anytime I've looked on ebay when I had the money I only see the SNES, Game Boy Color, and import Mega Drive versions.
    I feel the same with Comix Zone, I never see a copy of it anywhere including the european ebay and amazon. I guess it's pretty rare.

There's actually a few copies of Mr Nutz on ebay right now, one is complete and somewhat cheap with worldwide shipping.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GBA-GAME-MR-NUTZ...item1c173fc800

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I never felt or heard that it had a bad reputation, it was a kickass little system that continues to kick ass to this day!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

hey i still love my gba..i still play it for the hell of it...has a bunch of nice games, and got me hooked on FireEmblem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    I never felt or heard that it had a bad reputation, it was a kickass little system that continues to kick ass to this day!
    Maybe bad rep isn't the right way to put it... maybe that it's neglected. It doesn't have the niche' flavor to make it a cult system, and it's not notable for being terrible like the N-Gage, and it's usually ignored in favor of the home consoles that it was a peer to. Frankly, some of the system's original titles are just as good as any game on the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube--off hand I'm immediately drawn to games like "Wario Ware Twisted" and the late gen rpgs by Atlus (Summon Knight, Yggdra Union, etc.).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I didn't buy a GBA until the SP came out in early 2003. It was amazing to finally have a back-lit portable gameboy right out of the box. The ultra-compact design was pretty cool too.

Thinking back, I must have spent 2000+ hours on that first GBA SP. Golden Sun, Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics Advance, Warioware...the list goes on. Let's not even mention the three Castlevania's that came out for it. Light years ahead of the DS iterations.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the GBA! How bout some pics?

And the games:

As for some recommendations, I enjoy TMNT and Astro Boy. TMNT is a lot like the arcade beat'em up and Astro Boy is a really good shooter in the Gunstar Heroes style. In fact, I believe the company behind Gunstar made Astro Boy.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GBA has to be my favorite portable ever...I love its selection of games - near perfectly remade classics, awesome modern 2d action, and some attempts at 3d deserving of respect.

It's hard for me to pass up all the cheap GBA's I see around these days. The system feels more valuable to me. Plus they made so many cool variations!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The original GBA is also the most comfortable portable ever. GBA SP sucks, but the original is amazing(even if I did have to sit under a ridiculously bright light in order to play anything.)

Damn Nintendo for not making this amazing system(original version) backlit. Though there are ways of getting it done yourself.

Last edited by kupomogli; 11-19-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ironically find the tiny micro just as comfy as the original and I love that it fits perfectly into cell phone cases making it a really easy and durable system to take around.

The SP... I've got a love hate relationship with. The flip top is a great idea, but its just too narrow for me to be comfortable with. Action games are almost out of the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I sold my DS because anytime I wanted to play a portable the Advance came out. Anytime I go hiking or camping whatever , a charged advance in its case with some games is as much a part of the backpack as M.R.E's, flashlight and booze.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I love my GBA SP 101 with the brighter screen. I never got into portables because I always hated the old gameboy graphics and lack of brightness. When the SP's finally came out I took notice. Unfortunately, for every great GBA game, there are 50 shitty ones. Same thing happened with GBC era, I think too many developers tried to sell games that were huge on consoles. The portables weren't capable of producing anything close graphically and the result is a laughingstock.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I would love to get my hands on an AGS-101. The Micro is decent but it makes my hands cramp something awful the longer I use it. My favorite config is the Game Boy Player with the Interact version of the Hori SNES-style controller.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GBA kicks ass. I never cared for all the ports -- the originals are usually better -- but it has an amazing selection of games. There's a lot of GBA games that you wouldn't expect to be good, but are actually awesome. Like Astro Boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I use the AGS-101 mainly to play Gameboy and GBA games on a backlit screen. There are a few GBA games I like such as Ultimate Card Games by Telegames, but I play mainly just arcade and strategy games on a portable system.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Five-O for $5?....Never, ever seen a copy at any of my local Gamestops. I just saw a CIB copy on ebay go for $100. Great game and it's becoming harder to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by csgx1 View Post
    Ninja Five-O for $5?....Never, ever seen a copy at any of my local Gamestops. I just saw a CIB copy on ebay go for $100. Great game and it's becoming harder to find.
    I remember when it was $9.99 new on Amazon. Oh, how time flies.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What system isn't loaded with shovelware?

Love the GBA. Mainly play on my SP, or DS Lite. Great selection of games, just about every genre is covered. Some of the ports are welcomed and some were just downright lazy.

Still a few games for it I mean to pick up.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you can actually search using Gamestop's website to find copies of the game. Ninja Five-O is still rediculously rare, but there are a couple copies floating about; the ones closes to me are one in a Brooklyn store and one way out in Suffolk county--54 miles away! (L.Island).

But games that are borderline rare/will eventually be/are also pretty good (Phantasy Star Collection and Pinball of the Dead-- which are respectively 4.99 and 1.99 (!!!!), also Gradius Galaxies is also a mere 1.99) are not that difficult to find. It just takes a car!