Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games better on Genesis/SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games better on Genesis/SNES List! (Help!)

This whole list is being redone as of now (4/24)

See the link here to see a list of all of the multi-platform games.
    http://box422.bluehost.com/~videogc7...ad.php?t=28949

Okay guys, lets try and make a list here. Please only post facts about the games if you're going to compare two. Please use the following format for submitting games.

"Game Name here" - "Better console here"
    *SNES*
    |Cons|
    |Pros|
    |Notes|
    *Genesis*
    |Cons|
    |Pros|
    |Notes|
    *Other Notes*

The List

Current "Score"
    lol
    SNES -6 Genesis - 6

13 out of 257 Games Compared

Adventures of Batman & Robin - Different Games(Genesis preferred, *See other notes*)
    *Different Games on each console.*
    *Other Notes*
    The Genesis version is a run 'n gun game, while the SNES version is an action platformer. The Genesis version can get extremely longwinded and is missing some of the depth present in the SNES version, which features an inventory screen with many different weapons and items to pick from, as well as little story and conversation sequences before each level. However, the Genesis version is much more challenging and takes longer to finish. Also, the SNES version has no multiplayer mode. Adventures of Batman & Robin is considered to be one of the top games for the Genesis library, whereas for the SNES it is just another (albeit above average) action platformer.

Aladdin - Different Games (Genesis preferred, *See other notes*)
    *Other Notes*
    The Genesis version featured much more commercial success then the SNES version. The Genesis version was a much more action based game, where the SNES version focused mainly on platforming. Neither games are bad games and both are very different. I would hardly say they are even comparable. BUT when it boils down to what game is preferred the majority of people choose the Genesis version.

Lion King- Genesis
    *SNES*
    |Cons| Has instances of broken hit boxes
    |Pros| Larger color pallet
    |Notes| Has "cartoony" sound effects (EX Sambas roar is a cats meow)
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Smaller color pallet
    |Pros| Hitboxes are more reliable than SNES version.
    |Notes| Has more realistic sounding effects (EX Sambas roar sounds like a small lions roar)
    *Other Notes*
    The SNES version and Genesis versions have different sounding music tracks (as most SNES and Genesis games do) and I would not say there is any superior one, depending on the level I prefer music from both versions personally. Although seeing as the SNES has a tendency to completely not register some attacks, I recognize this as a very big problem, and thus believe that the Genesis version is better.

Mickey Mania- Genesis
    *SNES*
    |Cons| Broken hitboxes, Missing music, Missing levels, Washed Out Color, Less Graphical Detail, Constant Loading Screens.
    |Pros| None
    |Notes| Horrible port of the Sega Genesis version. The List of Cons could go on forever.
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| None (in comparison to the SNES version)
    |Pros| Fixes all issues found in the SNES version
    |Notes| None
    *Other Notes*
    Stay far away from the SNES Version. Genesis is better in every aspect.

Mortal Kombat - Genesis
    *SNES*
    |Cons| Slower clock speed, Input lag, sweat instead of blood, Several fatalities censored, Backgrounds are less complex.
    |Pros| Better graphics and sound
    |Notes| -
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Graphics and sound are worse than in the SNES version, missing sound effects, 3-button pad is not suited for this game
    |Pros| Blood code, attacks are responsive and the gameplay is closer to the arcade version
    |Notes| Features a re-arranged audio track, requires a 6-button pad to fully enjoy the game
    *Other Notes*
    While the SNES version has better graphics and more faithful music and sound effects, the Genesis version is the overall better representation of the arcade version when it comes to gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Mortal Kombat II - SNES
    *SNES*
    |Cons| -
    |Pros| Better graphics, music and SFX
    |Notes| Some people prefer the 6-button pad to the stock SNES pad for this game
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Back- and foreground details missing, cut animations, washed out colors, cut most of the voices, horrible music quality, 3-button pad is not suited for this game
    |Pros| -
    |Notes| Requires a 6-button pad to fully enjoy the game
    *Other Notes*
    There is no reason to play the Genesis version, as the SNES version is superior in every aspect and much closer to the arcade version. It even has blood this time around.

Rampart- SNES
    *SNES*
    |Cons| -
    |Pros| Added "Super" game mode featuring different types of weaponry and wall templates, more pleasant and dynamic music
    |Notes| Mode-7 effects add nothing to the gameplay.
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Annoying music during the build up stages
    |Pros| -
    |Notes| -
    *Other Notes*
    While the Genesis version is more of a straight port adding nothing to the mix, the SNES version adds a game mode and makes use of its Mode-7 effects to make things look a little less static.

Rock 'N Roll Racing - SNES
    *SNES*
    |Cons| Missing some of the courses present in the Genesis version as well as a music track
    |Pros| Better music and sfx, better use of color
    |Notes| -
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Announcer breaks up the music, music quality took a dive and the original tunes are barely recognizable
    |Pros| One music track (radar love) and several course variations added
    |Notes| -
    *Other Notes*
    Both versions have their merits, but I think that better sounding and uninterrupted music (it is, after all, called "Rock 'N Roll Racing") weighs heavier than an extra music track and a few course variations on each planet. Up for debate.

Sparkster -Different Games (SNES preferred, *See other notes*)
    *Other Notes*
    The SNES version is widely accepted to be a better game overall, and it is much truer to the Rocket Knight Adventures formula used in the first game.

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting/Street Fighter II' Special Champion Edition - Genesis
    *SNES*
    |Cons| Slowdown when attacking, Music Resets when characters are KOed, Missing voices samples, Censored, Various sprites removed from backgrounds.
    |Pros| Better graphics and Sound quality.
    |Notes|
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Heavily down sampled voices, Game not suited for the default 3 button pad.
    |Pros| No Slowdown
    |Notes| Game works perfectly with a 6 Button Pad.
    *Other Notes*
    N/A

Sunset Riders - Different Games (SNES preferred, *See other notes*)
    *Other Notes*
    The SNES version was a faithful port of the arcade version. The Genesis version was a complete remake that is widely considered to be no where near as good as the SNES version because of it's fewer character, simpler graphics, and how unfaithful it was to it's source material.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - SNES
    *SNES*
    |Cons| More clutter due to having no dedicated screen estate for inventory and map usage
    |Pros| Better use of color throughout, better music and sound effects, pop-up style minimap saves space
    |Notes| -
    *Genesis*
    |Cons| Black border taking up a third of the screen, wrong aspect ratio due to black border so everything looks stretched out, music and sfx quality is inconsistent, missing the flamethrower weapon and a bonus level present in the SNES version
    |Pros| Less clutter due to having a dedicated inventory space
    |Notes| -
    *Other Notes*
    The sound and color issue is a result of the game being a port, as often happens with games ported from the SNES to the Genesis. The black border and missing content is, however, inexcusable.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 06-30-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

are you asking if a particular game is better on the SNES or the Genesis?

if so i personally say no

Some that come to mind for me is just about any EA Sports game of those years
    and also Zool i remember was on both
    and one of my personal favorite games is on both platforms too
    "Zombies ate my Neighbors"
    my little brother had it for his Genesis years ago and use to play it all the time
    and i have it on my SNES emulator. to me they are identical in how they work and how they look.

only multiplat game i can think of that has any kinda of difference i remember seeing is Mortal Kombat. Genesis has red blood and SNES had something else if i remember right cause nintendo wanted no real gore going on in their games being famous for family friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    only multiplat game i can think of that has any kinda of difference i remember seeing is Mortal Kombat. Genesis has red blood and SNES had something else if i remember right cause nintendo wanted no real gore going on in their games being famous for family friendly.
    Its funny cause when i read the op's question this was the first thing that came to mind... A argument as old as dust, MK1 on the genny has blood and mk1 on snes had good graphics. On that one I always sided with the genny. When it came to part 2 id have to goto the snes and then back to sega again with part 3 and ultimate. Crazy huh???

I like most of the wwf games on the genesis more if "wrastleing" is your thing. Earth worm jim for snes just looks way better to me. And of course sports games always seemed a lil better on genesis for some reason.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    are you asking if a particular game is better on the SNES or the Genesis?

if so i personally say no

Some that come to mind for me is just about any EA Sports game of those years
    and also Zool i remember was on both
    and one of my personal favorite games is on both platforms too
    "Zombies ate my Neighbors"
    my little brother had it for his Genesis years ago and use to play it all the time
    and i have it on my SNES emulator. to me they are identical in how they work and how they look.

Alright, this is the reason why I want a semi official list.

Zombies ate my neighbors is definitely better on SNES (Better sound, music and graphics).
    Mortal Kombat 1 is better on the Sega (Although the SNES version had better graphics the sega version was much closer to the arcade version in all other aspects)

I'm guessing there's nothing like this though based on the responses I've got so far.. so why not make one right now? I'll edit the topic so we can all come together and make a complete list.
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    I'm guessing there's nothing like this though based on the responses I've got so far.. so why not make one right now? I'll edit the topic so we can all come together and make a complete list.
    The other thread had mention of 250 shared titles, so maybe you could keep a tally and request comments for any games that haven't been covered.

Aladdin is better on the Genesis (although it's a different game). Okay, just 249 more to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    The other thread had mention of 250 shared titles, so maybe you could keep a tally and request comments for any games that haven't been covered.

Aladdin is better on the Genesis (although it's a different game). Okay, just 249 more to go.
    Okay, to avoid this thread turning into a 3 page debate on whether or not the Aladdin on the Genny is better then the SNES version like the other thread, in the case of games sharing the same name but happen to be completely different (Like in the case of Aladdin) I'm just going to list them as "Different Games".

When I wake up tomorrow I'll do a count and list the remaining left, thanks for the suggestion.
    Click Me!

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rock N Roll Racing on the Genesis actually has more tracks to race on than the SNES version. I personally prefer the Genesis port because of this but of course most people hate the music in that version.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge favours the SNES, unquestionably. The game's play about the same and the difference in colour is no more than usual, but the soundtrack is the deciding factor here, which sounds awesome on SNES but isn't done justice by the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright only 239 left!
    Click Me!

Insert Coin (Level 0) james42519's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i thought lion king was better on snes then gen too. if i remember right they had talking in the snes one but i don't remember it in the gen.
    my games. don't have xbox just games for it. game gear is messed up.
    http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=james42519

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sunset Riders - SNES (faithful near perfect arcade port, MD has very downgraded 4 Mbit "remake")
    Thunder Force III/Thunder Spirits - MD (better sound, no slowdown etc.)
    Street Fighter II Turbo/Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition - Both are pretty much equally good.
    Ys III - MD (better sound)
    Puyo Puyo Tsuu - SNES (more gameplay modes)
    Last edited by Zebbe; 11-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Earthworm Jim 1 and Mickey Mania are best on Sega CD. Mortal Kombat 1 is technically better on Sega CD (more stuff, CD audio, etc.), but it does have those load times, so it's mixed overall. And MKII for 32X is just as good as the SNES one really.

I know this is an SNES/Genesis comparison, but the Sega CD and 32X are Genesis addons, so I think they should at least somewhat count... I could see not mentioning other platforms (like how does Bubsy for Jaguar compare to the SNES/Genesis ports, etc, that isn't the point of this list), but 32X and Sega CD are different I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Sunset Riders - SNES (faithful near perfect arcade port, MD has very downgraded 4 Mbit "remake")
    Thunder Force III/Thunder Spirits - MD (better sound, no slowdown etc.)
    Street Fighter II Turbo/Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition - Both are pretty much equally good.
    Ys III - MD (better sound)
    Puyo Puyo Tsuu - SNES (more gameplay modes)
    The Sunset Riders games are different games, so in this list they would not be compared. The SNES one certainly is much better, but they're not the same game.

As for Thunder Force III/Thunder Spirits, that is an interesting one, Genesis to Arcade, to SNES, with changes, added and removed levels, and more in each port... so the SNES game is a port of the arcade game which is a port of the Genesis game, but they're not identical in content, each has multiple levels the other doesn't. I'm not sure if they count as being the same or not. If they do though, the Genesis one certainly is the favorite.

I like SFII SCE better than SFIIT, probably as much because the Genesis has a better controller than anything though... but not having to use a cheatcode to get turbo speeds 4-10 is fun stuff too. SSFII is much better on SNES than Genesis though.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    I like SFII SCE better than SFIIT, probably as much because the Genesis has a better controller than anything though... but not having to use a cheatcode to get turbo speeds 4-10 is fun stuff too. SSFII is much better on SNES than Genesis though.
    Besides being able to choose between either Champion Edition and Turbo on SF2 SCE don't forget the awesome Tournament Mode that's only on Special Champion Edition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes it's really arguable. See below...

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    Zombies ate my neighbors is definitely better on SNES (Better sound, music and graphics).
    I disagree, I preferred the Genesis version's sound (well the music anyway) and aspect ratio. The SNES version lacks the status bar on the right, and looks stretched out.

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    And MKII for 32X is just as good as the SNES one really.
    I disagree, I thought the 32x version was a really lazy port. Some graphics are re-used from the Genesis version, and it doesn't look as good as the SNES version overall. Also you can't do a non-uppercut punch while ducking.

I know this is an SNES/Genesis comparison, but the Sega CD and 32X are Genesis addons, so I think they should at least somewhat count... I could see not mentioning other platforms (like how does Bubsy for Jaguar compare to the SNES/Genesis ports, etc, that isn't the point of this list), but 32X and Sega CD are different I think.
    On that note, Eye of the Beholder is much better on Sega CD than SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Updated. I'll be sure to do a hardcore comparson of the street fighters myself to make sure they're the same
    Click Me!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I disagree, I thought the 32x version was a really lazy port. Some graphics are re-used from the Genesis version, and it doesn't look as good as the SNES version overall. Also you can't do a non-uppercut punch while ducking.
    I thought low punch wasn't introduced until Mortal Kombat 3?

Insert Coin (Level 0) james42519's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post

I disagree, I preferred the Genesis version's sound (well the music anyway) and aspect ratio. The SNES version lacks the status bar on the right, and looks stretched out.

it would help to know what version of genesis people played on i guess. i only ever used the model 2 and that does kinda have bad sound.
    the bar on the side of zombies ate my neighbors is one of the biggest reason i don't like that version. it don't look stretched out on the snes version to me. you can bring up the map by pushing L and R on the snes like that is on the right on genesis. the same status bars are on top that are on the sides of the genesis one too. guess i am bias for snes though
    my games. don't have xbox just games for it. game gear is messed up.
    http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=james42519

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looking at the list: No, Sunset Riders SNES may be universally considered a better game, but they are NOT the same game. It should be listed as that, not as SNES is better. The Genesis game is completely different from the SNES arcade port.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Well of course, people are often going to disagree on which version they like best.

On that note, Eye of the Beholder is much better on Sega CD than SNES.
    Oh yeah, Eye of the Beholder is far better on Sega CD than SNES. Plus it's got voice acting, Mega Mouse support, and more... but EWJ is also best on Sega CD. Password save, plus a new level! It's the only console version with those features. Mickey Mania is less improved versus the Genesis, but the CD audio really does add something I'd say and makes it the best version. Mortal Kombat... as I said it's got more stuff, it just depends on if you can tolerate the loading.

For another one Cliffhanger's beat 'em up segments are pretty much the same across platforms, but the Sega CD has completely different snowboarding parts from the others -- it's done in first person with scaling sprites, Batman Returns/etc. style. Incredibly difficult levels, but pretty cool looking... despite the ridiculous difficulty the Sega CD version probably is best. SNES vs. Genesis though I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel
    Besides being able to choose between either Champion Edition and Turbo on SF2 SCE don't forget the awesome Tournament Mode that's only on Special Champion Edition.
    Right, being able to choose between the two games is a cool feature too.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 11-22-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by james42519 View Post
    i thought lion king was better on snes then gen too. if i remember right they had talking in the snes one but i don't remember it in the gen.
    Gen. Lion King definitely had voices.

And YS III looks better on the Genesis, but best on the TurboGrafx.

Edit: Also Lost Vikings for Genesis has 5 extra levels not present in the SNES version.
    Last edited by Daria; 11-22-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Out of this World is better on SNES. I thought the controls on the Sega version seemed "lagged". Plus, I seem to remember the music is suppose to be better on the SNES .... I just remember not being able to time my jumps in the Genny version.