Thread: Game Boy Advance recs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Boy Advance recs!

Been thinking about starting a small collection for a while now, and I'm in need of some recommendations.

Games on my list so far:

Densetsu no Stafy 1-3
    Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1&2 (US)

.. that's all

I'm mainly after JP imports.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Holger Czukay's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay
    PSN
    aigisismywaifu

Rhythm Tengoku - Awesome minigame collection from the Warioware team, better than the DS sequel (just like Warioware)

Hajime no Ippo - First-person boxing game by Treasure.

If you like the Kunio/Nekketsu games there were a bunch of re-releases for the GBA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

kururuin paradise is wicked awesome. JP only sequel to kurukuru kururin. Similar gameplay to the first (keep a rotating stick shaped flying machine from touching the walls), but with a bit more variety and a speed up button.

Some of the bit generations games are quite good, though a few are on Wii and DS in the west now. dotstream (a racing game where you control a line and get next to other lines to gain speed) is great fun. Dialhex lacks modes, but is a fun puzzler where you try to get same colored triangles grouped into a hexagon shape. Orbital is a neat game controlled with 2 buttons where you use the gravitational pull of planets to guide a planet towards other planets of the same size (only played the wii one, Orbient, but heard good things about the gba version).

If you like the Kunio/Nekketsu games there were a bunch of re-releases for the GBA.
    The only ones that didn't come to the US are collections of the famicom games using pocket nes. I heard they run slower than the famicom versions.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 11-24-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I can 2nd the suggestions thus far. Orbital and dotstream were the two Bit Generations releases that I enjoyed the most. It is requisite to purchase at least one of those releases just to check out the awesome packaging!

I really enjoy my GBA library, but looking for the best import games I see that many are actually retro releases. None-the-less, I think the follwoing are all must owns:

Famicom Mini Vol.21 Super Mario Bros. 2 ~ the original Famicom Disc version of SMB2
    Famicom Mini Vol.22 Nazo no Murasame ~ very challenging action/RPG like original Zelda
    Famicom Mini Vol.24 Palthena's Mirror [Kid Icarus] ~ original disc version of Kid Icarus includes SFX not heard in NES release, and features game save rather than password (same can be said for Vol.23 Metroid)
    Ganbare Goemon 1&2 ~ compilation of first 2 SFC Goemon games on one cart
    Gurulogi Champ ~ fantastic puzzle game from Compile. woefully overlooked.
    Hudson Best Collection Vol.3 Action Collection ~ contains Challenger and Milon's Secret Castle
    Hudson Best Collection Vol.6 Adventure Island Collection ~ contains all 4 FC Adventure Island games
    Koutetsu Keikokou [Steel Empire] ~ old Mega Drive shmup ported to GBA, graphics sligtly redone (also released in Europe)
    Crayon Shin Chan Arashi (Cinema Land) ~ amusing side scrolling platformer

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the recs guys! I bought Densetsu no Stafy 1 & 2, Hajime No Ippo and Super Mario Advance for starters, plus Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2. Not very original choices, but I thought I'd start safe, and get a couple of mainstream games.

I already have Nazo no Murasame for the Famicom Disk System, but as that rarely actually gets plugged in and played, I might aswell get the Famicom Mini port. I'm not really a fan of ports, but a handheld Murasame would be cool. Probably won't look into the other Famicom Mini's or the Hudson collections, because I have most of the games featured in their original versions.

Will definitely check out Koutetsu Keikokou and Crayon Shin Chan Arashi, as well as Rhythm Tengoku, so thanks again for the recs.

I've browsed through my favorite sellers' stores on eBay, and placed the following games in my watch list:

Screw Breaker Goushin Dorirurero
    Chou Makaimura R
    Final Fight ONE
    Konami Wai Wai Racing
    Klonoa

I'll also probably buy Stafy 3.

Pretty obvious choices here. I'm a big fan of the Mura and Final Fight series, I loved the Wai Wai games for the Famicom, and Klonoa is great. Again, these games are pretty mainstream, so I'll probably try to find some more obscure, yet great games. I also have the obvious US releases which I want in english singled out.

Also, how playable are the japanese versions of the Metroid and the Castlevania GBA games without any japanese knowledge?

Anyone played any of the Dangerous Grandad games?
    Last edited by Nico87; 12-13-2010 at 08:47 AM.