Thread: Problem with Wii reading discs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem with Wii reading discs

My Wii has a temperamental problem reading discs.

It accepts the disc fine, but then the system doesn't recognise that a disc is actually in. To get it to work, I have to tilt the Wii to the side, which usually makes it work.

When it does work, there is sort of a heavy click sound and then it runs fine.

However this is not always the case and sometimes it works fine. But I've noticed it's getting worse.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you could always mod your system to read your games off a USB hardrive. You wouldn't even need the disc drive then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Sounds more like a drive problem but I've noticed Wii's are very sensitive to anything wrong with the disc and won't read discs that are slightly scratched or smugded. The odd thing is that GameCube discs that look like they were kicked through muddy gravel will will play just fine in them.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It could just be a dirty lens. To gain access to the lens follow the instructions here to step 9. From here you should be able to see the lens if you hold it at an angle and look inside. Gently clean the lens with a Q-tip dampened with alcohol. Reassemble as minimally as necessary and test. If possible test with a dual layered Wii disc (Brawl, Metroid Prime: Trilogy, and Other M) and a single layered Wii disc (everything else). If it reads the single layered disc fine, but not the dual layered disc then the laser is underpowered. This should only be a problem with early model Wiis.

WARNING: Improper adjustment of the laser pot can cause premature burnout of the laser. If you do not have an ohmmeter with needle point probes then do not proceed beyond this point.

A guide on adjusting the laser pot can be found here.
    The pot is an incredibly tiny Philips head screw. When I adjusted mine I had to use the points of my probes. Also, don't do what I did and think you can take a shortcut by bending the metal cover up. You will just have to take it off later to hammer it back into shape when you find out that the disc is hitting the crease you made.

If this don't work then you could have an alignment issue or a clamp problem. Is your Wii loud?

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The odd thing is that GameCube discs that look like they were kicked through muddy gravel will will play just fine in them.
    Makes me wonder if GameCube discs were made better or if smaller discs are somehow easier to read.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Wii is loud-ish, depends on the game. MySims for instant is unbelievably loud but I think every copy is like that.

Brawl funnily enough does seem to take more tries to load than my singe layered games.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as it does not sound like this then you should be fine.

Dual layered discs are harder to read, so any problems like a dirty disc, a dirty lens, or an underpowered laser will cause more problems with them. I found that my laser was underpowered when I first got Brawl and was unable to play, even after cleaning the lens. After increasing the power to the laser I was not only able to play Brawl, but I had fewer problems with my other games as well. However, it does seem that the lens needs to be cleaned every once in a while; which I found out when I got Other M. Try cleaning the lens first and see if all your troubles go away.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

replacment lasers are cheap where i am like £10 £13 not sure if there lots of driffernt lasers though as i have not looked in to the wii that much i have one here from release day and still working and loading like new.