Thread: EMS TopGun II...any impressions?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Default EMS TopGun II...any impressions?

I have been on a light gun game kick lately and would love to play all my light gun games from my PS2 collection on my 46" LCD TV but, as most know, the awesome GunCons won't work on LCD/Plasmas. I've been looking around and found the EMS TopGun II. Does anyone own this and, if so, how good is it in terms of accuracy and compatibility with the PS2 gun game library?
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I have been on a light gun game kick lately and would love to play all my light gun games from my PS2 collection on my 46" LCD TV but, as most know, the awesome GunCons won't work on LCD/Plasmas. I've been looking around and found the EMS TopGun II. Does anyone own this and, if so, how good is it in terms of accuracy and compatibility with the PS2 gun game library?
    This was the main gun used by MAME cabinet builders for a time. Most reports have the accuracy as being very good. The only downfall is you have to stand a certain distance from the screen for that accuracy to be good. That distance depends entirely on how far apart you put the LED bars (which in turn is based on how big the TV is). The bigger the screen, the further back you have to stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have it and I use it on my PS3 (for PS2 games), Japanese PS2, and Xbox. It's an excellent gun. You do have to calibrate it every time you turn on the system though, but it's quick and easy (hold A/B, shoot at the red led, then shoot at all 4 corners of the screen clockwise). Once you calibrate it, accuracy is very good. You don't need to use the in-game calibration menus for the most part. It has an adjustable laser pointer which is great when you don't feel like aiming down the sights. It's also useful during calibration. It also has a recoil feature where the slide blows back. Since I only have an LCD HDTV, this is the only way I can play PS2/Xbox light gun games. I wish they would make a version for Saturn/Dreamcast.