Thread: My Red Wii (A Story)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My Red Wii (A Story)

The last console I ever bought was the PS2 on launch day, after that I was set. Now that might not be as vintage as most people here, but I still manage to keep my SMS, Genesis, NES, SNES, Atari Jr., DC and N64 around. I had managed to ignore this current generation of video games. I never had any need for HD TVs, I don't even own one. And despite all the hoopla surrounding the Wii when it came I steered clear of it. "It's gimmicky!" I said, defiant towards the new generation of games. The other day as I was reading the blogs I frequent I saw it, Mario Bros. turns 25. I celebrated by playing Mario on my NES. In one of the related links I saw it Nintendo Commemorating Mario with a red Wii. I looked at it and brushed it off, just Nintendo putting Mario on the street corner to turn another trick. But today I needed batteries and went to Best Buy, big mistake. There he was in all it's red glory better than an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle, The Red Wii. "I don't need this" I said to myself "I got hundreds of games!" but on the corner stood Mario looking like he has always looked to me, like an old friend who gets married and you don't hear from him until he gets divorced. That pixelated bastard looked at me with his square eyes and my heart melted. "Silly Mario what are you doing among all these violent games?" I had to rescue him so, I broke down and bought it. It certainly felt strange to buy a new console, I had been dealing in Flea Markets and second hand eBay for so long that I forgot how a brand new console looked like. Now I have no idea what I'm going to with it. I may need an RF adapter, or a new TV, now you see it's all downhill from here. But Nintendo played me, they played me good.

And in before anyone else:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    I may need an RF adapter, or a new TV
    If you have a TV or VCR with a composite video input (RCA jack), then you're all set.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The best thing about buying a popular console late in its life cycle is that there's no shortage of good software and no sitting/waiting for the next best new release.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rather hear the story of Gemni Phoenixs red ps2 story its funnier
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The best thing about buying a popular console late in its life cycle is that there's no shortage of good software and no sitting/waiting for the next best new release.
    Except that he bought a Wii, not a PS3, 360, DS, or PSP.

I'm only kidding. The Wii has "some" good games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    The last console I ever bought was the PS2 on launch day, after that I was set. Now that might not be as vintage as most people here, but I still manage to keep my SMS, Genesis, NES, SNES, Atari Jr., DC and N64 around. I had managed to ignore this current generation of video games. I never had any need for HD TVs, I don't even own one. And despite all the hoopla surrounding the Wii when it came I steered clear of it. "It's gimmicky!" I said, defiant towards the new generation of games. The other day as I was reading the blogs I frequent I saw it, Mario Bros. turns 25. I celebrated by playing Mario on my NES. In one of the related links I saw it Nintendo Commemorating Mario with a red Wii. I looked at it and brushed it off, just Nintendo putting Mario on the street corner to turn another trick. But today I needed batteries and went to Best Buy, big mistake. There he was in all it's red glory better than an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle, The Red Wii. "I don't need this" I said to myself "I got hundreds of games!" but on the corner stood Mario looking like he has always looked to me, like an old friend who gets married and you don't hear from him until he gets divorced. That pixelated bastard looked at me with his square eyes and my heart melted. "Silly Mario what are you doing among all these violent games?" I had to rescue him so, I broke down and bought it. It certainly felt strange to buy a new console, I had been dealing in Flea Markets and second hand eBay for so long that I forgot how a brand new console looked like. Now I have no idea what I'm going to with it. I may need an RF adapter, or a new TV, now you see it's all downhill from here. But Nintendo played me, they played me good.

And in before anyone else:
    Ah you knew the mind games quite well

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

If you look past the obvious cash in waggle mini game collections (ie, avoid anything with the UFO Entertainment logo on the box), you'll find that the Wii has a rock solid library of both first and third party games, many of them dirt cheap these days.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that Nintendo's history definitely gives them a leg up when it comes to focusing on older gamers. I really had no intention of buying a Wii but the nostalgia factor is big with Nintendo. I've been playing around with it and it's not so bad. I can play Megaman 9 and 10 on it and use the gamecube controller. I saw this on Penny Arcade a while back and I thought it was funny.

I have friend who are really into one console and dismiss the rest, I really don't think about it too much. Industry news and previews seem too complicated to me. I have a friend that just berated me for getting a Wii. He just got the Move and he says it's better and more specific. But I want to play Mario.

BTW is the Mario All Stars the same as the SNES version?
    Edit: Just found out it's the same as the SNES version but without Super Mario World and including a film and some music.
    Last edited by Eduardo; 11-25-2010 at 11:28 AM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello fellow Red Wii owner!
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's too bad prices for 1st party releases almost never get dropped (Which represent the bulk of the must have games for the platform).

Normally buying a console this late in a generation would mean you'd have tons of excellent 1st party games available for a fraction of their launch price.

Anyways, have fun! I think it's a great console and I imagine you'll love it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Cool sto.... fuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Except that he bought a Wii, not a PS3, 360, DS, or PSP.

I'm only kidding. The Wii has "some" good games.
    That's what I was thinking. Every once in a while I'll go by the Wii aisle in a game store, thinking I'll find something that will compel me to buy the console finally. But a few minutes later I just walk away. Great machine with a lot of potential, all let down by bad software houses lowering the bar for the sake of 'casual gamers'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Every once in a while I'll go by the Wii aisle in a game store, thinking I'll find something that will compel me to buy the console finally. But a few minutes later I just walk away. Great machine with a lot of potential, all let down by bad software houses lowering the bar for the sake of 'casual gamers'.
    Yeah and I would actually feel sorry for those collecting modern fullsets for systems such as the Wii or DS (are you out there??) ... yeesh. Even as a Wii owner I walk down the aisle and have trouble finding something compelling at times. It's there, just buried under 3 feet of Ubisoft, Hudson, etc. shovelware.

Even as a general Nintendo fanatic, I have to say that if you aren't into Mario games, then perhaps Wii isn't for you.. Half the games I currently own for it (just got mine last year) are Mario Bros. franchise games. If you aren't interested in those, you are missing out on the best the system has to offer anyway.

That said, the system is worth owning just for Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's be honest folks...if you're buying a Wii, you're buying it for Nintendo first party games. I sold my Wii a few years back and right now am poised to jump back in with the red console. A large part of that is really due to the first party support (Donkey Kong Country Returns? COUNT ME IN!). Stuff like Epic Mickey and the large backlog of stuff that looks good (Galaxy 1/2, Punch Out, Sin & Punishment, House of the Dead + Overkill, Monster Hunter Tri, Metroid, Goldeneye Wii, etc).

The thing isn't exactly overflowing with games I need to play every month, but then again none of the consoles have been blowing me away lately. I'm getting a hankering for some Nintendo goodness. Shooting stuff is getting old IMO.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They definitely try to reach younger audiences. It was a strategy that in the end paid off. Lower specs, cheaper to produce games and consoles, lower price point causing higher market penetration leading to more developers producing games for them. Nintendo's first party has always been top notch, and setting itself apart gave them an advantage. XBox and PS3 are pretty much the same thing when it comes to games, except for the rare killer app here and there. They were never able to develop mascots like Nintendo did and now Nintendo even has Sega developing games for them.

Just my luck, Toys R Us are offering Wiis with Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games and Amazon with a $50 gift card.
    Last edited by Eduardo; 11-25-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to derail the topic, but why did Sony let Spyro and Crash Bandicoot go? Or was that even really their decision to begin with? They had two solid franchises there during the PS1 era to build as "mascots" but now they're third party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're interested in which other Wii games to buy, my list of best (and worst) Wii games should help:

http://box422.bluehost.com/~videogc7...d.php?t=109135

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for that. I actually got a black one today on Amazon's Black Friday deal. Hey I needed a controller.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Well, if you want to play Mario, it just so happens that there are three great Mario games for the Wii.

It's not a bad system, never mind all the garbage shoveled into bargain bins. You can also stream Netflix, check out some legal ROM action, and even play online assuming you have a decent internet connection. You made a good decision, sir.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was inevitable for me to own it, I just didn't think it would happen so soon. After all I got the NES and top Loader NES, SNES and SNES Mini, N64 Grey and Green, Silver and Indigo Gamecubes, now red and black wii. Only regret is that the red one didn't come preloaded with the 25th Anniversary Super Mario Bros.