Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Odyssey - new RPG for Genesis / Mega Drive!

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default Star Odyssey - new RPG for Genesis / Mega Drive!

Hello, everyone!

Super Fighter Team recently visited France to showcase some of our upcoming new games at the Retro-gaming Connexion event. Among other aspiring projects, I was personally pleased to announce our next new role-playing game for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive: STAR ODYSSEY.

What is especially interesting to note about this game is that Super Fighter Team has proudly partnered with Starfish-SD Inc. to make the official worldwide release possible. This means that Star Odyssey will be the first new game to be released in the classic gaming market in partnership with a company in Japan. Needless to say we are very excited about this product, and hope that you are, too.

Our friends at Sega-16 have been kind enough to publish a neat preview of Star Odyssey, which I recommend to everyone who is interested in the game:

Sega-16 Preview: Star Odyssey

And to keep informed about the game's pending release, I invite you to sign up for our mailing list:

Join the Star Odyssey mailing list

Thanks for your interest and attention. If you have any questions about Star Odyssey or any of our other games, please feel free to contact me anytime by e-mail, private message, etc.

Have a nice day.

Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

That looks like the citadel heh. Pretty cool.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good news.

I just managed to get a copy of Beggar Prince, and hope to pick up Wukong. Great stuff.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been hoping for YEARS that the ROM of this would hit the market! I'll preorder this the SECOND sales open! I can't believe you guys did this! SOooooooooo awesome!

I love that you're using the original Jp boxart too!
    Last edited by maxlords; 11-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

What awesome news. I already signed up for the mailing list, and cannot wait for this one to be released.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Brandon, this is announcement is awesome and Super Fighter Team is awesome! Seriously...

This game has always intrigued me and I know with you guys doing the translation it will be well worth the wait. Hopefully this will help pave the way for even more Japanese games to be released. As maxlords said ""I'll preorder this the SECOND sales open!

Keep up the super (pun intended) work!!!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Brandon, this is announcement is awesome and Super Fighter Team is awesome! Seriously...

This game has always intrigued me and I know with you guys doing the translation it will be well worth the wait. Hopefully this will help pave the way for even more Japanese games to be released. As maxlords said ""I'll preorder this the SECOND sales open!

Actually, speaking of the translation, I'm curious as to whether Super Fighter Team is doing the translation or not. There was a completely translated version of the game ready for release before it was cancelled, and I know drx had a ROM of it in that giant Sega proto ROM collection a few years ago that he declined to release. Maybe this is that translation, or a doctored version of it?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post

I've thought that Super Fighter Team's scripts have been pretty cheesy in the past. So hopefully this game is a little better written. Although don't get me wrong I've loved both Beggar Prince and Wukong so this is a must buy for me. I'm just saying this looks like the sort of game where a more sophisticated translation would better suit the gamestyle.

Now if someone could just tackle translating Surging Aura... (:

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice little poke on the order page. I'm assuming this is in regards to that other game that is in a perpetual state of development?

At Super Fighter Team, we no longer believe in the arduous practice of pre-orders, only in the fine art of customer satisfaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I signed up for the mailing list maybe I will be able to get this one.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Joined the mailing list!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Hello, everyone.

Thanks for your continued interest in Star Odyssey and for all the recent sign-ups to the mailing list. We appreciate your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    Actually, speaking of the translation, I'm curious as to whether Super Fighter Team is doing the translation or not. There was a completely translated version of the game ready for release before it was cancelled, and I know drx had a ROM of it in that giant Sega proto ROM collection a few years ago that he declined to release. Maybe this is that translation, or a doctored version of it?
    These questions and many more were already answered in the preview article that I linked to above.

Specifically:

"When he was presented with the opportunity to obtain the only physical cartridge copy of the translated game, Cobb jumped at it. Unfortunately, the English prototype was in sorry shape. Super Fighter Team had to make several major changes for it to even be close to retail condition. This was no simple translation effort, and as it was, the game wasn't even playable. Cobb detailed to us a fatal bug that was a major headache to fix. "One fatal bug caused the game to crash to a black screen after it had been played for a certain number of hours. This bug was extremely difficult to reproduce on real hardware, and once he had it nailed down, our lead programmer on the project wasn't even certain he'd be able to fix it. Over a week later, however, he had reached the light at the end of the tunnel: the nasty bug was banished, never again to rear its ugly head.

Additionally, there were other problems. Certain NPCs couldn't be talked to or had empty or incorrect dialog boxes, characters could only be named with upper-case letters, and the cool palette effect in the title screen had been removed. Super Fighter Team fixed all these issues, and finally restored the game to proper working order. The biggest problem, however, was the actual script itself. The story made almost no sense, and the quality of the translation was simply horrible. Cobb took the scripting reigns himself, and he properly translated it to match the original Japanese storyline. Gamers can be assured that they're playing the best possible English version of Star Odyssey, and they can trust that the game will work properly on all versions of the Genesis hardware.
    "

The article is a good, factual read. Check it out.
    Last edited by CMA Death Adder; 11-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Happy new year, everyone.

The final product design for Star Odyssey was recently unveiled. Here's a direct link -

Star Odyssey final product design

As always we welcome you to join our mailing list to stay informed of the game's pending release.

Have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks great! I love that you used the original Blue Almanac artwork and style....makes me a tiny bit sad that it doesn't say Sega Genesis anywhere, but what can ya do?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Looks great! I love that you used the original Blue Almanac artwork and style....
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    makes me a tiny bit sad that it doesn't say Sega Genesis anywhere, but what can ya do?
    I agree. However I already did all that I could (quoted from this article):

"Starfish asked if Cobb had obtained Sega's permission for a new Genesis release. He contacted Sega of Japan and inquired about doing so but received some bad news. "As they had long since withdrawn from the Genesis/Mega Drive business," he told Sega-16, "they could not offer our customers any potential support and therefore, requested that we not display their trademarks (Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega) on the product." For this reason, Star Odyssey will not bear the official Sega logo at the boot up sequence."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

The Retro League published a 32-minute phone interview with me, which covers such topics as Star Odyssey, Nightmare Busters, Sango Fighter 2, Zaku and more. Give it a listen --

The Retro League podcast interview with Brandon Cobb / Super Fighter Team

Thanks for your interest and attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I gotta say, that was an excellent interview.

I listened to the whole thing and it's interesting to hear about how games like Beggar Prince, Nightmare Buster and Star Odyssey came to be. I always love reading (or in this case hearing) about all the behind the scenes stuff that it takes to get a product to market.

Its also exciting to hear that you guys are "looking" at the Jaguar. I feel any "potential" game for the system from you guys would be awesome!

As usual, keep up the excellent work and if you could release Star Odyssey tomorrow that would be great!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is that theme from Pulp Fiction? That's from where I recognize it.

The interview was indeed great. It was very interesting to hear Beggar Prince was stated for a Game Boy Advance release and then changed to Mega Drive. It seems to me Super Fighter Team has had a lot of bad luck with the GBA, hopefully you will overcome that and release a game for it some day.

Insert Coin (Level 0) yuleeyahoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Brandon, any crumbs you can toss us? Early 2011 has passed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah... I'm curious how things are going as well.

I'm sure its release is getting closer though. Superfighter Team always comes through, but any new info would certainly be welcome. This game is going to be awesome!