Thread: I just found Yoshi's Island and man, is it awesome!

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I just found Yoshi's Island and man, is it awesome!

OK, so I just came back from a dirty old pawn shop and recently found Yoshi's Island, finally! I know it's a Nintendo game and all but it was so hard to find the actual cart in the wild after all these years so I was pretty excited to pop it in again to do a review especially after playing the disappointing Yoshi's Story.

I gotta say ahead of time that the game still looks damn absolutely stunning and it still plays better then most 2D-esque games I tried out before on the PS3 and Wii (i.e Warioland: Shake It). I'm interested to here if anyone thinks Yoshi's Island is actually better then Super Mario World too?

Anyway here's the YI review:
    http://blip.tv/file/4434772

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congratulations on picking up a great game! I found this game fairly hard to come by (and usually too expensive on eBay). Bought it from a local shop for a decent price...and actually forgot I'd found it until I read this topic.

I don't personally think it's better than Mario World, but it's still an excellent game. The levels are all pretty wide open, with several different paths. Something you didn't see as much back then.

Graphics, like you said, are still gorgeous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Nice find...Yes this is a very good game. I still have mine from back in the day, and even have the gba version..If you liked that one..check out the one on the DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Better? Well i'm going to say I definitely think so. It's my favorite platformer on the SNES. That's for DAMN sure.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean by "I know it's a Nintendo game and all"? Nintendo is awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WOAD87 View Post
    Congratulations on picking up a great game! I found this game fairly hard to come by (and usually too expensive on eBay). Bought it from a local shop for a decent price...and actually forgot I'd found it until I read this topic.

I don't personally think it's better than Mario World, but it's still an excellent game. The levels are all pretty wide open, with several different paths. Something you didn't see as much back then.

Graphics, like you said, are still gorgeous.
    I like the controls better in Super Mario World but Yoshi's Island feels more like a all new experience.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yoshi's Island is definitely better than Super Mario World. SMW is just over-rated. It's too similar to SMB3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    Nice find...Yes this is a very good game. I still have mine from back in the day, and even have the gba version..If you liked that one..check out the one on the DS.
    Oh yeah, I played the DS sequel and it's great too. Using the different baby powers is pretty cool and it plays nothing like Yoshi's Story which is awesome.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    I'm interested to here if anyone thinks Yoshi's Island is actually better then Super Mario World too?
    I think Yoshi's Island is the second best Mario game. Mario 3 is the best. I think Super Mario World is the worst of Mario game on NES/SNES(regular Mario games, not talking about others such as Mario is Missing, etc.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I think Yoshi's Island is the second best Mario game. Mario 3 is the best. I think Super Mario World is the worst of Mario game on NES/SNES(regular Mario games, not talking about others such as Mario is Missing, etc.)
    I think it's at least as good as Super Mario Bros. 3, if not better. Well, to each their own.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 11-27-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingking View Post
    What do you mean by "I know it's a Nintendo game and all"? Nintendo is awesome.
    Oh yeah, I meant that the games were really common especially compared to other titles from Square, Koei, and Taito.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still is an amazing game, better to me than most Mario titles and much better than its sequels. Love the art direction, the variation and all the creative ideas they managed to put into it. Almost every level offers something new.
    Oh and baby mario's crying didn't bother me that much, I know that turned some people off of it back in the day. The only aspect in which it seemed like a step backward from the main Mario games to me was in the simplistic layout and mechanics of the hub/overworld.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Yoshi's Island is definitely better than Super Mario World. SMW is just over-rated. It's too similar to SMB3.
    I love Super Mario World but yeah, I have to agree it was a bit too similiar to SMB3. The Raccoon tail is pretty much the same as the cape for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what it is about this game, but I really can't get into it. I personally LOVE Super Mario games... I think SMB3 and SMW are the best of the series. Something about Yoshi's Island just doesn't feel right to me... it may just be that I missed it the first time around and went back and picked it up a few years ago after a few people recommended it, compared to the others that have nostalgia. Or it might be the baby Mario thing... which is dumb, and annoying IMO.

It also felt like I was always babysitting... what was the point of having Mario on my back? When I'd get hurt, I had to grab him, which was annoying. I'd rather either be big and get little, or in the case of SMW, just have Yoshi run off and optionally go get him. It reminds me of the babysitting levels like in Goldeneye where you have to keep the helpless useless people from getting shot while running though machine gun fire.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YI came bundled with my SNES, so needless to say I spent some quality time with the game. The graphics still blow me away 'til this day, and the game has just the right amount of challenge to it. I don;t like it as much as SMW, but it's DS counterpart Yoshi's Island DS can't hold a candle to the original.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3 View Post
    YI came bundled with my SNES, so needless to say I spent some quality time with the game. The graphics still blow me away 'til this day, and the game has just the right amount of challenge to it. I don;t like it as much as SMW, but it's DS counterpart Yoshi's Island DS can't hold a candle to the original.
    It's weird, you're not the first to say that the YI DS sequel isn't as good as the original title. I guess the levels don't feel as well made or inspired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oops!
    Last edited by starsoldier1; 11-30-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love Super Mario World but yeah, I have to agree it was a bit too similiar to SMB3. The Raccoon tail is pretty much the same as the cape for example.
    Oh, hardly! The cape is tremendously more versatile, and also a good deal more powerful attack-wise than the tail-whack.

It's weird, you're not the first to say that the YI DS sequel isn't as good as the original title. I guess the levels don't feel as well made or inspired.
    Indeed, it feels like a game that was made by people who played YI and liked it a lot, but just couldn't grasp what made it fun.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Yoshi's Island

I recently played this game and Love it...(never had played it before and it's awesome.