Thread: Tekken or Street Fighter fightstick (360)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Tekken or Street Fighter fightstick (360)

I haven't really bought an Arcade stick since the Saturn days, but I have been wanting one for my 360 because I am a Virtua Fighter whore and just got Super Street Fighter IV. Not to mention with recently getting Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters I need one for my shooters as well as my fighters.

Today while I was in town I saw the Madcatz Streetfighter IV Fightstick (Not the tournament edition) and the Hori Tekken 6 Limited Edition (Game, art book and stick). Both were marked down to 59.99.

I have done a bit of research and I don't intend to do any mods so that perk for the Madcatz stick can be ignored. I like that the Hori stick is wireless but can the wired Madcatz stick be used on a PC like my wired 360 controller? It could be great for Mame.

Also it looks like the Madcatz stick has turbo options which would be helpful in my shooters. Does the Tekken stick have turbo options.

But more than anything I would like to know which controller has a better build and is more accurate and responsive.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Neither of those sticks are particularly well built out of the gate, but the Tekken stick is the worse of the two. If you're not interested in a TE stick (which has high quality Sanwa parts right out of the box), I'd go with the SFIV stick. It'll work on your PC plug and play style and is the least shady of the two.

Honestly though? If you have the extra scratch and do a little online browsing you can find a TE stick for a hundred bucks or less and it's a far better stick than the standard Madcatz stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks for the info!

It's a bit of a disappointment to hear about the Tekken stick. What didn't you like about it? A wireless arcade stick for the 360 sounded awesome! In addition, I don't have Tekken 6 yet so it's a great bundle for the price.

But it's great news to hear that the SF IV stick will also work on the PC! Hello Mame

As for the more expensive sticks... I'm sure they are much better, I have read many good things about the SF IV TE stick, but I'm just not looking to spend more than 60 bucks or so. That's the only reason I am considering one of these in the first place, because they used to be marked at 99.99 and are now marked at 59.99.

Thanks again for the info.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The Madkatz Tournament Edition sticks have been super cheap the last few weeks at Amazon...not to mention Hori. The 360 HRAP EX is < $80! The next few months is definitely the time to buy a stick before they disappear. Then it might be back to importing from Japan like the old days.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I bought the ssfiv stick a couple months ago and I love it. Do you guys know of any way I can get my stick (360 version) to run on a ps3? the ps3 currently won't recognize it when I plug it in.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I bought the ssfiv stick a couple months ago and I love it. Do you guys know of any way I can get my stick (360 version) to run on a ps3? the ps3 currently won't recognize it when I plug it in.
    Certainly sir, though you're going to have to do a little soldering(no way around it I'm afraid). Here's the link to the Cthulhu chimp thread on SRK. It's a custom PCB that makes it easier to dual mod an arcade stick for current consoles, and by using it you avoid having to hack a controller. I have one in my custom stick and it works like a charm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Certainly sir, though you're going to have to do a little soldering(no way around it I'm afraid). Here's the link to the Cthulhu chimp thread on SRK. It's a custom PCB that makes it easier to dual mod an arcade stick for current consoles, and by using it you avoid having to hack a controller. I have one in my custom stick and it works like a charm.
    Wow! Thanks Goeff! I'm gonna take a good look at this when I get home. I was thinking of just buying aps3 stick cuz I loved it so much, but now I may not have to. And according to the description, I can use the chtulu board to play Dreamcast as well! Joy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Wow! Thanks Goeff! I'm gonna take a good look at this when I get home. I was thinking of just buying aps3 stick cuz I loved it so much, but now I may not have to. And according to the description, I can use the chtulu board to play Dreamcast as well! Joy!
    You can, but that will require a Multiconsole Cthulhu instead of a Chimp :P the Chimp board will automatically switch from 360 to PS3 mode, whereas the other Cthulhu boards require it to be done manually (as the Chimp uses the solder points on the board that normally are used for wiring up extra console wires).

But yeah, you get three slots on the MC PCB to wire in controller cables for NES, SNES, TG-16/PCE, Playstation/2, Saturn, Gamecube(and wii), Xbox1(though you can use the USB cord and an adapter if you're lazy), Dreamcast, and 3DO. You can also wire in a db-9 connection for old consoles and computers by wiring it directly into the screw terminals, or the neo-geo by doing the same thing. It's pretty versatile if you're willing to put in the work; people have done all sorts of crazy mods with them.

I'd definitely suggest checking around locally to see if anyone does the dual-PCB mod for Cthulhu and 360 by you, though. It can be quite tricky, I hear.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN