Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Fighter Team to release Nightmare Busters! (SNES)

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by darkwingduck13 View Post
    why not go for a game that wasn't so readily accessible?
    That's a good question. Normally, we wouldn't consider a video game for commercial release that had already been pirated. Nightmare Busters is such a beautiful, solid game, however, that I was swayed into giving it the green light for production and publishing regardless of this fact. As well, the IP holders are being extremely helpful, supportive and encouraging, providing us with a lot of beautiful artwork and detailed information that would otherwise go unseen if the game were simply left to be "reproduced" unofficially.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    When are you going to make a shooter??
    We already did: ZAKU, a 100% new and original horizontal shooter, was released for the Atari Lynx in October of last year.

Will we produce and release a shooter for the SNES? Only time will tell...
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    That's a good question. Normally, we wouldn't consider a video game for commercial release that had already been pirated. Nightmare Busters is such a beautiful, solid game, however, that I was swayed into giving it the green light for production and publishing regardless of this fact. As well, the IP holders are being extremely helpful, supportive and encouraging, providing us with a lot of beautiful artwork and detailed information that would otherwise go unseen if the game were simply left to be "reproduced" unofficially.

We already did: ZAKU, a 100% new and original horizontal shooter, was released for the Atari Lynx in October of last year.

Will we produce and release a shooter for the SNES? Only time will tell...
    All this SNES love is making me giddy like a schoolgirl!
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, we're fortunate that you were somehow convinced into doing the project even though your first instinct was not to green light it!

While I won't be buying it, I'm interested to see just how much Super Fighter Team will undercut the previously-stated "inflated" price of the "disrespectful" $40 reproductions of a game that was never commercially released. Since I'm sure there's nowhere near the amount of translation work as was involved in your RPG releases and the game is supposedly an even-more-complete version than the playable version that found its way onto the net, it would make sense that Nightmare Busters would be significantly cheaper than the previous releases like Beggar Prince and Legend of Wukong, both of which clocked in at or above the previously-mentioned $40 price point. It's good of you to give us an insight into your thoughts on the pricing structure of Nightmare Busters, DA.

Admittedly, I'm much more interested in Star Odyssey. I'll be waiting to see the reviews on that one. Ever since I first played Black Bass on the NES, I've been dreaming of the chance to play a Hot-B RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Well, we're fortunate that you were somehow convinced into doing the project even though your first instinct was not to green light it!
    It was only logical for us to weigh the pros and cons of publishing a game that had been rampantly pirated for several years. To not consider such a thing at length would be a foolish business choice. In the end, I realized that despite the piracy, the game would be very well received by retro gamers the world over. Our current mailing list sign-ups from over 300 Frenchmen alone is surely proof of that!

I'm interested to see just how much Super Fighter Team will undercut the previously-stated "inflated" price of the "disrespectful" $40 reproductions of a game that was never commercially released.
    By doing what we always do: offering more value for the customers' money. I have already stated this in a previous response:

"As well, the IP holders are being extremely helpful, supportive and encouraging, providing us with a lot of beautiful artwork and detailed information that would otherwise go unseen if the game were simply left to be "reproduced" unofficially."

It's good of you to give us an insight into your thoughts on the pricing structure of Nightmare Busters, DA.
    Certainly.

For starters, a new Super Nintendo game will be more expensive to produce than a new Sega Genesis game. In addition, though we did not have to do a lot of code work on Nightmare Busters, we did reach an official agreement from the IP holder to sell it, which of course comes along with a royalty rate. As well, the game may very well be produced with a dual-language instruction manual (English and French), much like we did with ZAKU. This choice alone would double the normal printing price for the manual.

Quality is always our first goal, coupled with offering our customers a fair price. And since our inception in 2004, we have not raised our game prices even though the recession caused our manufacturing costs to go up more than once, and though several of our programmers have negotiated higher wages per project. This business is unique in that it is not about the pursuit of money. Rather, it is about the pursuit of the continued lifespan of the classic gaming movement. If everyone only understood these things, they would have no reason (other than personal preference) to question the prices we set.

Admittedly, I'm much more interested in Star Odyssey. I'll be waiting to see the reviews on that one. Ever since I first played Black Bass on the NES, I've been dreaming of the chance to play a Hot-B RPG.
    Thank you. We have done a lot of work on this game; I think you'll be impressed with it.

If you should have any additional questions regarding any of our products, you are always welcome to contact me personally via e-mail, or here at the forum via private message.

Have a nice day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By doing what we always do: offering more value for the customers' money. I have already stated this in a previous response:

"As well, the IP holders are being extremely helpful, supportive and encouraging, providing us with a lot of beautiful artwork and detailed information that would otherwise go unseen if the game were simply left to be "reproduced" unofficially."

For starters, a new Super Nintendo game will be more expensive to produce than a new Sega Genesis game. In addition, though we did not have to do a lot of code work on Nightmare Busters, we did reach an official agreement from the IP holder to sell it, which of course comes along with a royalty rate. As well, the game may very well be produced with a dual-language instruction manual (English and French), much like we did with ZAKU. This choice alone would double the normal printing price for the manual.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for writing back, DA. I've always appreciated SFT's commitment to their online presence and the drive to answer questions about the process and products of the company.

I'm just a little confused by the deflection when it comes to the price of the game. Basically it seems like you're saying it's still going to be $40 even though you're dissatisfied with that price when it comes to reproductions and there was less work involved with getting this one ready for release, but there's a recession and we get the manual in French so...? I mean, I guess that's a good move since it sounds like the game will be big in France.

The lack of details in the response makes it sound like maybe the deal on licensing the game wasn't so good, which I'm sorry to hear.

The repeated comments on piracy also raise a question: are you going to be pursuing C&D orders for just those individuals who are brought to your attention as having the ability to transfer ROMs to cartridges, or are you also going to go after people like Tototek, who make the flash cartridges that a lot of people use? What about things like the Everdrive?

<Everdrive Label credit goes to JoeRedifer@http://www.joeredifer.com>
    Last edited by darkwingduck13; 12-07-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will the box be cardboard like original SNES boxes? Or will you be producing a clamshell? I'd of course prefer a cardboard one that mimics the style of the SNES boxes Durability-wise that might not be the best choice though.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question, did you guys find a way to bypass the lockout chip, or are they being cannibalized off existing carts?
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Thanks for writing back, DA. I've always appreciated SFT's commitment to their online presence and the drive to answer questions about the process and products of the company.
    It's my pleasure.

I'm just a little confused by the deflection when it comes to the price of the game.
    I think that "deflection" was an improper word to use.

Generally, we do not announce a video game product to the public until it is 100% completed and either ready for manufacture or already being manufactured. Part of the reasoning behind this is that in doing so, we'll never have to worry about giving our customers anything but the most up-to-date, factual information about the product, its cost, etc.

Nightmare Busters was a special case, chosen to be announced at the Retro-gaming Connexion because it is a French-developed game that many French retrogamers have been looking forward to seeing officially released for a long while, now. In addition, the IP holder arranged to have two of his friends assist us in the presentation and demonstration of the game. This was something special that I was happy to be a part of.

However - having made an official announcement that we are going to publish Nightmare Busters doesn't necessarily mean we have already set a price, or a release date. This is the purpose of the mailing list, so that once we do have these details finalized, everyone interested will be directly informed. I don't see any point in speculation; I prefer to deliver only the facts.

For the time being, I'll tell you the same thing I told the audience at the RGC when asked about the price point: "It has not been decided yet, and will depend on several factors - namely, manufacturing costs." This is not deflection, it is simply stating that there is no definite answer at the present time.

If you've already signed up for our mailing list, you'll be informed about these points at the same time as everyone else. I believe that's more than enough of an answer for now.

it seems like you're saying it's still going to be $40 even though you're dissatisfied with that price when it comes to reproductions
    I believe these facts are fairly clear, but since you asked...

"Reproductions" are not manufactured from 100% brand new parts and materials; they are put together using readily available hardware, and, generally, pirated software. The cost to the builder is extremely low; their only true investment is some time. The people who sell "reproductions" set their asking prices based on whatever they decide they want to make, which in many cases that I have seen, are completely ridiculous figures.

By contrast, our games are properly licensed or acquired from their IP holders, professionally manufactured from all new parts, bundled with beautiful artwork and detailed documentation. We set our asking prices based on the overall production and manufacturing costs of the game, always seeking the lowest price for the consumer even if it means we do not make a cent after such costs have been regained.

The lack of details in the response makes it sound like maybe the deal on licensing the game wasn't so good, which I'm sorry to hear.
    You seem to be speculating a lot about this project, which doesn't really help in getting proper answers shared with the public - rather, it increases the possibility that incorrect information will be gleaned from your assumptions and passed along by the fans. Please consider a different approach, regarding future inquiries.

The licensing agreement for Nightmare Busters was standard, for us. I took no issue with it, or I wouldn't have signed it. *shrugs* And that's all I can say, in regard to this particular question.

are you going to be pursuing C&D orders for just those individuals who are brought to your attention as having the ability to transfer ROMs to cartridges
    Sure. If any of them had actually bothered to ask the IP holder for permission to sell Nightmare Busters, they may have been granted it. After all, we were. To me, this lack of effort on their part just shows that those who produce and sell "reproduction" copies of video games are unconcerned with showing any respect to the owners of the games, and are in fact knowingly committing a crime in order to make a profit. While some may condone this, we simply cannot.

To me, it is completely irrelevant if a company will actually pursue an individual for pirating their game. We spent five years of researching and negotiating, for example, in order to acquire the rights to Panda Entertainment's back catalog. We didn't just steal it. And so far, we haven't even sold anything related to that acquisition: we have offered Sango Fighter as a free download, and will likely do the same with Sango Fighter 2. Does this make us special? No. But it does clearly illustrate that we aren't in this just to make a buck. Sure, we could just come along and take the games we wanted to publish, but there's no honor in that, and it wouldn't paint the classic gaming movement in a very respectful light.

or are you also going to go after people like Tototek, who make the flash cartridges that a lot of people use? What about things like the Everdrive?
    Since we haven't seen nor heard of any flash cartridge manufacturer attempting to sell backup kits that contain illegal copies of our software, we currently take no issue with them. Of course, we make efforts to copy protect our commercial software so as to reduce the possibility of such things.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Will the box be cardboard like original SNES boxes?
    Yes, because this is keeping with tradition for SNES games. Zaku was released in a sturdy, cardstock box, as all other Lynx games were released in the same manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Question, did you guys find a way to bypass the lockout chip, or are they being cannibalized off existing carts?
    Nightmare Busters will run on both NTSC and PAL machines, using a legal bypass to the lockout chips. We would never release any product which contained "cannibalized" materials. Everything is always manufactured brand new by our factory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that "deflection" was an improper word to use.
    Fair enough.

Generally, we do not announce a video game product to the public until it is 100% completed and either ready for manufacture or already being manufactured. Part of the reasoning behind this is that in doing so, we'll never have to worry about giving our customers anything but the most up-to-date, factual information about the product, its cost, etc.
    How far along in the process is the game? Is that all right to ask?

For the time being, I'll tell you the same thing I told the audience at the RGC when asked about the price point: "It has not been decided yet, and will depend on several factors - namely, manufacturing costs." This is not deflection, it is simply stating that there is no definite answer at the present time.
    Thanks for clarifying.

"Reproductions" are not manufactured from 100% brand new parts and materials; they are put together using readily available hardware, and, generally, pirated software. The cost to the builder is extremely low; their only true investment is some time. The people who sell "reproductions" set their asking prices based on whatever they decide they want to make, which in many cases that I have seen, are completely ridiculous figures.

By contrast, our games are properly licensed or acquired from their IP holders, professionally manufactured from all new parts, bundled with beautiful artwork and detailed documentation. We set our asking prices based on the overall production and manufacturing costs of the game, always seeking the lowest price for the consumer even if it means we do not make a cent after such costs have been regained.
    So in that case, then, you do not seek to make enough profit in order to help license your next project? That is not a concern when you're setting a price for the games?

You seem to be speculating a lot about this project, which doesn't really help in getting proper answers shared with the public - rather, it increases the possibility that incorrect information will be gleaned from your assumptions and passed along by the fans. Please consider a different approach, regarding future inquiries.

The licensing agreement for Nightmare Busters was standard, for us. I took no issue with it, or I wouldn't have signed it. *shrugs* And that's all I can say, in regard to this particular question.
    I'm sorry if my line of questioning has made you uncomfortable in the past. I'll do my best to remedy that!

Sure. If any of them had actually bothered to ask the IP holder for permission to sell Nightmare Busters, they may have been granted it. After all, we were. To me, this lack of effort on their part just shows that those who produce and sell "reproduction" copies of video games are unconcerned with showing any respect to the owners of the games, and are in fact knowingly committing a crime in order to make a profit. While some may condone this, we simply cannot.
    So basically, different groups of people may have been given the okay to work with the game. I've heard that there's even be a group of people out there who were planning to do a fan-translation of the title who got permission.

To me, it is completely irrelevant if a company will actually pursue an individual for pirating their game. We spent five years of researching and negotiating, for example, in order to acquire the rights to Panda Entertainment's back catalog. We didn't just steal it. And so far, we haven't even sold anything related to that acquisition: we have offered Sango Fighter as a free download, and will likely do the same with Sango Fighter 2. Does this make us special? No. But it does clearly illustrate that we aren't in this just to make a buck. Sure, we could just come along and take the games we wanted to publish, but there's no honor in that, and it wouldn't paint the classic gaming movement in a very respectful light.
    I was happy to see that you didn't try to sell those titles once you got the rights. I'm afraid it would've been a losing proposition, and would've kept us from seeing your later work.

Since we haven't seen nor heard of any flash cartridge manufacturer attempting to sell backup kits that contain illegal copies of our software, we currently take no issue with them. Of course, we make efforts to copy protect our commercial software so as to reduce the possibility of such things.
    This is to be expected, though it's a shame it's one more stumbling block in preservation efforts.

Yes, because this is keeping with tradition for SNES games. Zaku was released in a sturdy, cardstock box, as all other Lynx games were released in the same manner.
    At least it should help keep costs down, unless it's actually somehow cheaper to make clamshell boxes!

Nightmare Busters will run on both NTSC and PAL machines, using a legal bypass to the lockout chips. We would never release any product which contained "cannibalized" materials. Everything is always manufactured brand new by our factory.
    We appreciate the newness, yes we do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

How far along in the process is the game? Is that all right to ask?
    We must first release Star Odyssey, then manufacture more copies of Zaku. Nightmare Busters comes after these, in the production queue.

So in that case, then, you do not seek to make enough profit in order to help license your next project?
    That's often the hope, yes. We are a professional company, and we must be able to set and maintain a reasonable budget for each game project. This includes research, development, manufacturing - and, of course, the royalties we pay to the companies we partner with. These budgets have to come from somewhere, and that "somewhere" is from sales. Super Fighter Team is my company, yet I don't take a single cent from its sales success. "Profit," in our case, is "possibility" - it isn't pocket money.

But...

This isn't always the end result. Zaku, for example, had a high manufacturing cost (especially when considering the custom plastic molds we had to create for the PCB case), which, when all things involved were considered, was not completely offset by our asking price of $40. We will therefore not "break even" on this particular game until around 600 copies have been sold. But was it worth it? A thousand times "yes." We were able to publish a phenomenal new Lynx game, in a production quality only previously used by Atari, and offer it for sale at a lower cost than what the vast majority of other new Lynx games are sold for. That is something of which I am very proud. It may also give you a hint as to where the loyalties of other publishers lay...

I'm sorry if my line of questioning has made you uncomfortable in the past. I'll do my best to remedy that!
    I appreciate your understanding on the matter.

So basically, different groups of people may have been given the okay to work with the game.
    It certainly would have been possible, yes. And I hope that people learn something from this.

I was happy to see that you didn't try to sell those titles once you got the rights. I'm afraid it would've been a losing proposition, and would've kept us from seeing your later work.
    It's not about winning or losing - it's about the fact that I adored these games when I was growing up, and was overjoyed to finally own them, and be in charge of their future. When Panda Entertainment released Sango Fighter and its sequel, they gave me a great gift. Now it is time for me to return the favor.
    Last edited by CMA Death Adder; 12-08-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. I am curious as to how this was accomplished, as I was unaware that a method to bypass the lockout was perfected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Interesting. I am curious as to how this was accomplished, as I was unaware that a method to bypass the lockout was perfected.
    I was wondering if any of the technical gurus would pick up on that. I'm not necessarily one myself, but I've read several times that it hadn't yet been done. And of course, one has to wonder in the USA about the application of the DMCA's provisions about circumventing security measures.

I actually thought for a while that Nightmare Busters actually got a JPN release, but I guess it was just a reproduction with a really really well-done SFC box? I don't pretend to be any kind of SFC expert.

Also, I read in an interview that this team was working on a beat-em-up for the Jaguar. Any chance of that one being far along enough in development for you to get your claws into it, DA?

Lyes Belaidouni: We even made an attempt on the Atari Jaguar, the stillborn console for which we developed (without bragging) the most beautiful beat'em up with huge sprites and monumental backgrounds ! But this, alas, no one has seen it...
    From: http://www.1up-games.com/snes/legend...w-english.html

Looks like it might be this game:

The guys at Atariage apparently tried to get in touch with the remnants of Arcade Zone about it, but got nowhere: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...me-for-jaguar/

I'm guessing SFT might have better luck?
    Last edited by darkwingduck13; 12-08-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If NB will run fine on both NTSC and PAL systems... should I ask what region the cartridge shells and box design will be then? I'm assuming Europe, but figured I'd inquire... naturally I'd prefer US or JPN to fit in with the rest of my collection

And that JPN repro above does look stunning...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was wondering if any of the technical gurus would pick up on that. I'm not necessarily one myself, but I've read several times that it hadn't yet been done. And of course, one has to wonder in the USA about the application of the DMCA's provisions about circumventing security measures.

I actually thought for a while that Nightmare Busters actually got a JPN release, but I guess it was just a reproduction with a really really well-done SFC box? I don't pretend to be any kind of SFC expert.

Also, I read in an interview that this team was working on a beat-em-up for the Jaguar. Any chance of that one being far along enough in development for you to get your claws into it, DA?

From: http://www.1up-games.com/snes/legend...w-english.html

Looks like it might be this game:

The guys at Atariage apparently tried to get in touch with the remnants of Arcade Zone about it, but got nowhere: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...me-for-jaguar/

I'm guessing SFT might have better luck?

That Japanese version is a fan-made repro, a really well done one admittedly.

That beat em up you posted pics of remind of SNES beat em up Legend which was also developed by Arcade Zone. They also developed IRON COMMANDO (released only on the Super Famicom)

IC review here: http://www.rvgfanatic.com/6501/143801.html

And of course, Nightmare Busters is Arcade Zone's baby. All these games have a very distinctive "European" style that I can't quite explain, but when you play 'em you just know it's Arcade Zone through and through. Iron Commando is somewhat hard to find and somewhat pricey too... not really worth it to be honest (Ghost Chaser Densai is much better) but it's a nice collector's item.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

I actually thought for a while that Nightmare Busters actually got a JPN release
    Nightmare Busters was supposed to be released in Japan, but in the end it went unreleased worldwide.

I read in an interview that this team was working on a beat-em-up for the Jaguar. Any chance of that one being far along enough in development for you to get your claws into it, DA?
    We have no involvement with that particular title, nor do we plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    If NB will run fine on both NTSC and PAL systems... should I ask what region the cartridge shells and box design will be then?
    We will produce one unique product design which will feature all of the system compatibility information. Additional details are not yet available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is actually a prototype of the PAL version of Iron Commando, but it is pretty broken, IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess the questions about bypassing the lockout chip are off-limits? Trade secrets, etc etc etc?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess the questions about bypassing the lockout chip are off-limits? Trade secrets, etc etc etc?
    I would assume so until somebody gets a cart and cracks it open....

Yer gettin' nutty with the questions, I like that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway......the cart in the picture from Connexion....is that what we can expect? Im so hoping you guys put carts out in the Euro/super fami style as well as the US cartridge style.....

are you fluent in French, or do these guys speak english, or is there a translator involved for communication? (I know, pretty much unrelated, just curious...)
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 12-10-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    I would assume so until somebody gets a cart and cracks it open....

Yer gettin' nutty with the questions, I like that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway......the cart in the picture from Connexion....is that what we can expect? Im so hoping you guys put carts out in the Euro/super fami style as well as the US cartridge style.....

are you fluent in French, or do these guys speak english, or is there a translator involved for communication? (I know, pretty much unrelated, just curious...)
    Heh, thanks, I think. I'm guessing the audience for this game is a group of people who are intimately familiar with the system...and a significant subset of that group is a group of people who have at least some passing familiarity with the hardware, so it's something that they're going to wonder about. Evan has already backed that one up.
    I don't truly expect a detailed answer at all, but it can't hurt to ask. I don't see what it would hurt for DA to give that detailed answer, but I'll be surprised if he does.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, thanks, I think. I'm guessing the audience for this game is a group of people who are intimately familiar with the system...and a significant subset of that group is a group of people who have at least some passing familiarity with the hardware, so it's something that they're going to wonder about. Evan has already backed that one up.
    I don't truly expect a detailed answer at all, but it can't hurt to ask. I don't see what it would hurt for DA to give that detailed answer, but I'll be surprised if he does.
    haha yeah its good, youre asking everything I want to know!