Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many SNES games is there in total?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Exertainment MBR/Speed Racer did get a limited release, I imagine it only got bought by a few gyms that carried the bike. About half the known copies came from the stash that anotherfluke got at a Nintendo employee sale.

Also, Edmond Dantes, old meme is old.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

So, then you would argue that the total would be 724?
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

Default Anyone Else?

Anybody else want to throw in their Attachment 3391?
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Soon Nightmare Busters will come out so that's another one to add to the list.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It won't be an "official" (Nintendo-licensed) release.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    It won't be an "official" (Nintendo-licensed) release.
    True, but if anyone considers Super Noah's Ark 3D to be on the list then Nightmare Busters has to be included too. It's like the unlicensed games that still count for the NES, Micro Machines and others like it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Still questioning the SNES games total

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    The Exertainment MBR/Speed Racer did get a limited release, I imagine it only got bought by a few gyms that carried the bike. About half the known copies came from the stash that anotherfluke got at a Nintendo employee sale.

Also, Edmond Dantes, old meme is old.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm closing in on completing a complete cart-only retail-released SNES cartridge set, and I want to get my ducks in a row, since according to my below reasoning, I only have 27 games left to go to complete a retail-released US SNES set.

It seems that Exertainment MBR/Speed Racer waas never released to retail (An employee warehouse cleaning sale doesn't count as a retail release.) and that the 2 competition carts were only available to people who had memberships with Nintendo Power, so it seems that these 3 carts shouldn't count in a retail-released set. It does seem that Super 3D Noah's Ark, ISS, ISSD, and Super Copa were all released to retail, and so they should all be counted in a retail-released set. I do understand that Super 3D Noah's Ark (and Nighmare Busters when it's finally released) wouldn't count in a licensed SNES set, but they would (and will) count towards a retail-released set.

I also dount count the Super Bomberman Party Pack, because the game is exactly the same as the regular release, and I'm only going for a cart-only set. This Super Bomberman Party Pack would only count for someone trying to complete a complete boxed set, since the box is different.

So, If I take the DP SNES list of 722 and deduct the 2 competition carts, Exertainment MBR/Speed Racer, and Super Bomberman Party Pack and then add ISS, ISSD, and Super Copa, then I come to the number 721 being the total for a retail-released cart-only US SNES set. (When Nightmare Busters is finally released, then this number will of course go up by one.)

Any more thoughts? Or am I missing/forgetting anything?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, any thoughts about my above post?

Thank you.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MBR/SR was found in the wild pre garage sale. Multiple collectors had copies as well way before the stash came to light. It was out there to be had, and should remain included.

Nigtmare Busters will never be on the list as retail released as the SNES is no longer in production or sold at retail. Its aftermarket/homebrew/repro category

The 3 Mexico soccer games is really up to you. They have shaky information surrounding them to include in a US set, but they are NTSC, and could be included in a North/South American set.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post
    MBR/SR was found in the wild pre garage sale. Multiple collectors had copies as well way before the stash came to light. It was out there to be had, and should remain included.
    Do you have anything to back up this statement? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I seriously want to know. I'm only 27 retail-released SNES games away from a complete set, and I need to decide if MBR/SR really counts, which will make it 28 games needed. (I'm not counting the 2 competition carts or the 3 MACS carts.)

Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post
    Nigtmare Busters will never be on the list as retail released as the SNES is no longer in production or sold at retail. Its aftermarket/homebrew/repro category
    What would the SNES no longer being in production have to do with Nightmare Busters not being considered a retail release?
    I mean, I've read that SNES games were still being released in Japan and Mexico as late as 2000 and even later.
    I'm not looking for "SNES games-which-were-only-retail-released-during-the-time-that-the-SNES-was-still-being-sold-at-retail".

For this question also, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just haven't been a "collector" that long with the "collector" mindset, and I want to get my thoughts in order concerning my collecting mentality.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess part of why the topic of Nightmare Busters causes such a stink is because it gives a hell of a lot of power to small operations that work outside the "system" so to speak. Not that Super Fighter Team would ever do this but imagine if they up and decided to sell one copy and only one copy. Now magically only one person in the world can ever complete a full SNES set years after the console was relevant? Even if that's the logical extension, it tends to sound real fishy to people.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 05-15-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I guess part of why the topic of Nightmare Busters causes such a stink is because it gives a hell of a lot of power to small operations that work outside the "system" so to speak. Not that Super Fighter Team would ever do this but imagine if they up and decided to sell one copy and only one copy. Now magically only one person in the world can ever complete a full SNES set years after the console was relevant? Even if that's the logical extension, it tends to sound real fishy to people.
    I understand what you're saying, wouldn't your reasoning exclude MBR/SR as well? (I'm not an expert on MBR/SR at all. I'm actually trying to learn more about it, so don't take offense.)

That aside, what would it take? A video game store ordering 5 copies of Nightmare Busters from Super Fighter Team, and then selling them (retail) to the public on their shelves? I mean, over at Nintendo Age dot com, I've been reading with interest the NES games discussions about some of the unlicensed NES games which were rented in '95-'96 which was after the NES's normal market lifespan, I believe. It seems that only a couple of stores purchased those titles, and yet those games are considered by many to be part of the 'canon' of retail-released NES games. I mean, what if Super Fighter Team worked out a deal with a major national chain (i.e. Gamestop or somewhere similar) and that chain put 2 copies of the newly released Nightmare Busters in every store. Would that count as a retail release? I suppose that there should be a standard, but who has the authority to set it? What if Nintendo of America added Nightmare Busters to their official list of SNES games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Bardoly View Post
    I suppose that there should be a standard, but who has the authority to set it?
    The only authority is really what one wants to believe. However, the consensus among many is anything by a homebrewer, small (think Nolan Bros) or "large" (Good Deal Games, Super Fighter Team) is not part of the set outside of the timeline of the system's lifespan. The lifespan is important although arbitrarily decided within some fact. Games that are technically by what we would call a large homebrewer today include a chunk of titles made for the Atari 2600.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardoly View Post
    What if Nintendo of America added Nightmare Busters to their official list of SNES games?
    Your lack of common sense is killing me here. Please don't mention scenarios that will never, ever happen. They do not bolster your case.

Your reasoning will make you the only one to consider Nightmare Busters as part of a complete set. Be prepared to be Internet-berated whenever you mention this.

If you're looking for back up to what DNG and I have said, we are the ones who built the SNES guide and specifically wrote it for the DP Advance book. We have done the research, a long ass time ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Your lack of common sense is killing me here. Please don't mention scenarios that will never, ever happen. They do not bolster your case.

Your reasoning will make you the only one to consider Nightmare Busters as part of a complete set. Be prepared to be Internet-berated whenever you mention this.

If you're looking for back up to what DNG and I have said, we are the ones who built the SNES guide and specifically wrote it for the DP Advance book. We have done the research, a long time ago.
    Thank you for your interest enough to respond, but I'm not looking to be castigated for simply asking questions. I appologize if it somehow offends you that I was busy with other things years ago when you and several others were researching various games. In my very recent posts in this thread I mentioned 3 times that I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just looking for information. If you either don't have the information that I'm looking for or don't choose to share it, then that's your prerogative, but I would request that you don't stomp all over 'newbies' who haven't aquired all of your hard-won knowledge yet. (I mean, if you asked me about a topic that I have more knowledge about than yourself, I wouldn't upbraid you for your lack of comon sense.) I've been playing video games since 1989 and a member of GameFaqs for over 6 years, although I just recently discovered this website, so I do have some knowledge of classic games (mostly NES, SNES, Game Boy, and TG-16), but there is still a lot of knowledge that I'm lacking, including Nintendo's attitute towards adding titles to their list of SNES games. How would I know it without asking?

Once again, portnoyd, I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I'm simply looking for information and trying to wrap my mind around the 'set' of SNES games which I choose to collect. i.e. If I choose to collect all of the Licensed SNES games, then that list wouldn't include Super 3D Noah's Ark, and so on and so forth. At this time I'm simply trying to choose a 'set' to collect, and my pocketbook would like to not have to pay for the 3 MACs cartridges, the 2 competition cartridges, and/or the MBR/SR cartridge (basically I don't want to pay more than $100 for any one single cartridge if I can help it) while the completionist side of me says that if I choose to collect a 'set', then I'd better be willing to pay for it.

So, portnoyd, thank you again for your interest enough to post a partial answer in the first part of your reply, but no thank you to the second part. I eagerly await your (or anyone's) informative response to my earlier questions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Bardoly; 05-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's a difference between somebody who wants a full set vs. somebody who wants everything that can technically function on a particular console. You've got guys who collect service carts, guys who collect variants, guys who collect weird Chinese bootlegs, and guys who collect protos (something that has no endgame at all). You probably won't be able to find somebody who can offer an airtight explanation why random homebrew/unlicensed/whatever from 1994 is considered more worthy of inclusion on Person X's list vs. the exact same thing set for release in 2013. The only real answer is that at some point the history book closes and the pages are laminated.

And from a more practical standpoint, people care more about old stuff because it's from a particular era and perhaps has some story behind it and therefore are willing to pay for it. Plus, few people have much interest participating in a perpetual game of moving the goalposts. Does it always make sense? Well, maybe not. But this stuff isn't exactly hard science.

Even if the ludicrous proposition that Nintendo sticks the Nintendo Seal of Quality on Nightmare Busters were to come to fruition, there'd still probably be ample reason and arguments abound to consider it too late.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 05-15-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    There's a difference between somebody who wants a full set vs. somebody who wants everything that can technically function on a particular console. You've got guys who collect service carts, guys who collect variants, guys who collect weird Chinese bootlegs, and guys who collect protos (something that has no endgame at all). You probably won't be able to find somebody who can offer an airtight explanation why random homebrew/unlicensed/whatever from 1994 is considered more worthy of inclusion on Person X's list vs. the exact same thing set for release in 2013. The only real answer is that at some point the history book closes and the pages are laminated.

And from a more practical standpoint, people care more about old stuff because it's from a particular era and perhaps has some story behind it and therefore are willing to pay for it. Plus, few people have much interest participating in a perpetual game of moving the goalposts. Does it always make sense? Well, maybe not. But this stuff isn't exactly hard science.

Even if the ludicrous proposition that Nintendo sticks the Nintendo Seal of Quality on Nightmare Busters were to come to fruition, there'd still probably be ample reason and arguments abound to consider it too late.

I definitely see your point, and I would like to get some more input about this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As stated in the book Game Over Nintendo always said any company can make Nintendo games.
    So one should collect every released SNES game, licenced or not, foreign or not, be iit from a shop or mail order.
    Last edited by tom; 05-19-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh and within the official console lifetime set by the company eg for the VCS it's from 1977 to 1992

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    As stated in the book Game Over Nintendo always said any company can make Nintendo games.
    So one should collect every released SNES game, licenced or not, foreign or not, be iit from a shop or mail order.
    I think you're missing a pretty crucial logical step in there somewhere. Actually, a couple.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anymore thoughts?

I just started a new thread here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...leases-section

which asks the question, "Why isn't International Superstar Soccer Deluxe in the US releases section?" because I'm still wanting to clarify for myself which 'complete set' that I want to be working on collecting.

Thank you.