Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii online problems

Just got high speed internet yesterday, and have had nothing but grief with the Wii so far.

I have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router and I've been trying to play Mario Kart for more than 2 hours without completing a race!

I get the 91010 error all the time, I get the 86420 error all the time, I get random dropping all the time.

Any ideas? I moved the router and the wii so they were within 10 feet of each other and no impovement.

The Wii shows a good connection, and I've been able to download demos from the online channel, and I can surf the net on the Wii, but damned if I can play my Mario Kart Online.

I tried disabling the firewall, I'm currently running the router wide open, I've tried changing the channel to 1 or 11, nothing seems to work!
    Last edited by crazyjackcsa; 12-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Hmm possibly something to do with connection speed maybe? I know in the past when I have had problems similar to what you're describing on my 360 the connection which was due to the modem, replaced it and no problems since. I do have to reset the connection between the modem and the router occasionally to this day for some reason but I think that has more to do with the router than the modem.
    Have you tried powering off the router and the modem to reset them?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the Nintendo Tech Forums:

1. Follow the installation instructions TO THE LETTER! D-Link products tend to be very temperamental during the initial setup stage - just allow it to configure all the defaults for you.
    2. Make sure you use only WEP encryption. Yeah, I know, older then your granny's socks, but Wii does NOT play nice with WPA on D-Link products. It will work, but connection will be lost after extended period of inactivity.
    3. Leave protocol on "mixed n/g/b" ("n" will be disabled with WEP)
    4. No need to select a channel - let router select one for you as well (mine selected 11)
    Otherwise, great router for the price. Wii and DS have connected flawlessly on the first try. A week later - still did not have to reset the router. I have verified in the router log - Wii connects on 801.11g protocol, DS on 801.11b - both fast and stable.
    I have a sig?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    From the Nintendo Tech Forums:
    I'll try that, but right now I'm running no security at all which I would think would be less prone to problems than WEP or WPA

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I would strongly recommend getting a wired connection set up for your Wii (my launch unit has never been able to hold a connection for long without crashing) when i was using wireless on my Wii, I did find that it preferred the frequency on wireless channel 1.

If you can't go wired based on the location of your Wii and your wireless router, try changing the router channel.

You said you were using channel 11 based on auto selection, so if you haven't tried channel 1 it's worth a shot!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Like above I would go with a wired connection, I have not had any problems with my wii. Otherwise I would try resetting your router and modem.