Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ( a Todd Howard joint)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ( a Todd Howard joint)

Wow...

I wasn't expecting another Todd Howard production this quickly after Fallout 3. I guess they must have had this in pre-production during Fallout 3, and as soon as the animators, programmers, etc, etc had finished their respective jobs on Fallout 3, they probably immediately got to work on Skyrim.

I can't wait to see the first screenshots of actual gameplay.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

THAR BE DRAGONS UP IN DIS PIECE. ALSO VIKINGS.

Can't wait. Sold Sold Sold.

2011 looks like it's going to be an expensive year for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm shocked it's coming out this generation. I thought for sure Elder Scrolls V would be a next-gen launch title.

My #1 most anticipated game for next year.

First trailer...http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vg...scrolls/708369
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

With the id software acquisition, I am hoping they will use Rage engine.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Seconded. Gamebryo worked for what they were doing before, but if they want to evolve the gameplay at all, it needs an id engine. Carmack knows how to balance pretty with performance, while Oblivion was mostly just pretty. I know TES is an RPG series, but what they're trying to do really needs smooth action.

Do we have a target platform list? A PC version is likely, but I don't know if the current consoles are up for what I'd expect Skyrim to be. If they're still using the same engine, then I'd go so far as to say I can wait a few years for something new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post

It won't be using the "Rage" Engine...

From IGN (via Kotaku):

Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard explained in a separate interview with IGN that his game would not use id Tech 5. The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments.
    Huh??? I thought the whole point of Rage was to create a "huge, open-world FPS." From the footage I've seen it would be perfect for this sort of thing.

Oh well, at least it's a "new" engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Absolutely stoked. Cannot wait for this one.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I hope they lay off the random rock generator on this one. Oblivion and the Fallout games were filled with rocks everywhere.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I hope they lay off the random rock generator on this one. Oblivion and the Fallout games were filled with rocks everywhere.
    You're supposed to jump on those. It builds your Acrobatics skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Severing of Limbs....

Must have,

Severing of Limbs. PLEEEEEASE.

Teaser looks epic...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    If they're still using the same engine, then I'd go so far as to say I can wait a few years for something new.

Look, I'd love a new engine as much as the next guy, but saying that you're simply going to pass on it just because of the game engine? So far, this development team is batting 1,000 as far as I'm concerned. They've released two games this generation (Oblivion and Fallout 3), both of which are considered as possible all-time classics. Oblivion was an amazing game so early in the life-cycle of the Xbox 360.

Someone who never experienced Oblivion in 2006, might not understand how amazing it was when it first hit the scene. It was like the dream game. You play it now, in 2010, and it seems very rough around the edges, with a lot of little nagging issues and bugs.

Fallout 3, improved things a bit, but still was kinda rough around the edges, and still had it's share of bugs. Still, both games are so freaking ambitious. You really have to give Todd Howard's team much props on their two releases this generation. Possibly two of the more ambitious games ever released, in terms of their scope, and potential immersion factor.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

King's Field > Oblvion

King's Field doesn't even have half the amount of customization that Oblivion has or as much to do but the game is just better. I'm talking about the first game released in the US as well as the rest of the series including Eternal Ring and Shadow Tower. Oblivion's level design just sucked. Morrowind had a much better designed world. The King's Field games also don't have all the tedious fetch quests and incredibly boring storylines and sub plots.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-12-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oblivion was absolutely great in 2006, and it's still worth playing today. The issue is that it was amazing back in 2006, and now we're entering 2011. Five years is pushing it for a game engine, and I'm surprised they've squeezed Fallout out of it this late. In the context of a next-generation TES title, I don't even see Gamebryo as an option. It would feel like an Oblivion DLC pack, not a new game in the series. What I was implying is that I would prefer that they keep working for another year or so if it would ensure that they would have a new engine, not that I would skip it entirely.

I'm surprised they didn't do a few side games after Oblivion. I haven't actually played Battlespire or Redgard, but something like those might have been nice during the wait for TES 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The quote specifically states "new game engine".

Just because it isn't id's latest effort doesn't mean what they're using isn't a new game engine built from the ground up, or a heavily modified and improved version of what powered Oblivion and the Fallout games.

I can't imagine it being a dud after what they did with Oblivion half a decade ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can't wait for this to come out too.

I hope that the parallel levelling and randomly generated generic hills and forest are left out this time around. I hope that it's more like Morrowind in other words with different books, more variety of landscape and conversation, and maybe other Daedric realms other than "Oblivion" and it's lava, huge towers, and large, irratating mobs. I swear that Daedric monsters were the most irratating monsters in Oblivion, right up there with the Cliff Racer from Morrowind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    King's Field > Oblvion

King's Field doesn't even have half the amount of customization that Oblivion has or as much to do but the game is just better. I'm talking about the first game released in the US as well as the rest of the series including Eternal Ring and Shadow Tower. Oblivion's level design just sucked. Morrowind had a much better designed world. The King's Field games also don't have all the tedious fetch quests and incredibly boring storylines and sub plots.
    That's - simply asinine.

Anyway, I didn't really expect another Elder Scrolls during this console generation, so this is probably my most anticipated game of the year now. I hope they bring back flying, implement better character animation including removing the stick from the characters' butts when they walk, make combat more interesting, make the scaling less intrusive, and bring better dialogue and a better dialogue system to the new game.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just chiming in to say this is now officially my most-anticipated game, even pushing aside my excitement for Bioshock Infinite.

I put well over 350 hours into Oblivion across 3 play-throughs on 2 platforms, and I thought it was simply one of the most fun games I've ever played. I only now find fault with its shortcomings, as previously discussed, since so many newer, and in some ways improved, game experiences have been released in the interim.

On the geekier side of things, I thought the random environments were (and still are) some of the most impressive I've seen. I always appreciated that, textures aside, no two areas ever really looked much alike, and things like the blowing foliage in the trees and bushes and the additional growth in the flow-line of valleys was so realistic. Sometimes I would climb a random hill and have my character stand still until the camera panned out and 360'd the vista. Awesome.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game, and considering its popularity, I'm confident Bethesda isn't going to risk bungling this one. I only hope they don't spoil the game by "wasting" (in my opinion) any resources on multiplayer. About the only MP I'd consider endorsing is co-op, but in keeping with past Elder Scrolls entries, I don't think it would much fit the context of the series.

Oh, and add me to the list of people hoping they de-ugly the character creation (it was always difficult to create a character that didn't look like a random mix of Tom Petty and Eugene Levy), and improve the leveling system.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oblivion is one of my most-played games ever, and I still haven't done everything there is to do in it. That being said, I just watched the teaser for Skyrim and laughed at it. I'm sure I'll love the actual game, but I wish they had chosen a different route for the story. Dragon slaying stories are like Harlequin romance novels for fantasy fans, and I'm sure Bethesda knows it. They're probably counting on the generic setting to sell the game to the masses, but they need to know that the sort of person who spends hundreds of hours playing Oblivion will play anything they make--they can afford to get a little creative if they want to.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many people actually played the main story in Oblivion? I honestly don't care what the story's about, so long as it pushes the envelope in terms of roleplaying and exploration. The factions and sidequests were more fun than the main story, and accounted for most of the content in the game.