Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ( a Todd Howard joint)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Yeah, this will be a huge, amazing game that I will play for months on end, but I'm going to wait until it's had at least 3 or 4 patches before concerning myself with such a huge life-wasting game. Don't get it wrong, it will be a "life well wasted" playing this beauty, but I'm going to wait for the patches. (and a lower price too, heh..)
    Another advantage of waiting for something like the inevitable GOTY release is they often include some or all of the DLC that has been released up to that point.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
    Gawdamn this game is gonna be fun. I liked how the dragon came out of nowhere and picked the hill giant up and flung him to the ground mid-flight during the fight with the PC. Really itching to play this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Well, I overdid it a bit. 8 hours played yesterday (I've only "completed" 3 quests) and I didn't even receive the game until 3pm. So much to do, so much to explore.

A few notes:

-The texture/install issue people have been talking about is now fixed thanks to a day one patch. Very happy to see Bethesda act fast on that one.

-Load times are virtually non-existent. BIG change from Oblivion. Also, no more pressing buttons to enter/exit doors, caves, etc.

-5 difficulty settings. It starts you out in the middle which feels just right (IMO).

-Lock picking is very similar to Fallout 3/New Vegas! Love it.

-Attacking with magic is very similar to Bioshock. It also feels powerful right from the start.

-Love...LOVE the leveling "perk" system. So much better than Oblivion. You level up what skills/abilities you use the most. No "locking yourself in" to set classes/abilities from the start.

I have the 360 version and am simply in awe. Gaming perfection.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

I am loving it too! I got it for PC! With the FXAA enabled, the game landscape looks real to me. I am glad I built a new desktop for Battlefield 3, because this game is amazing too.

Here is my "unboxed" pic I took to text to friends

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FxMercenary View Post
    I am loving it too! I got it for PC! With the FXAA enabled, the game landscape looks real to me. I am glad I built a new desktop for Battlefield 3, because this game is amazing too.

Here is my "unboxed" pic I took to text to friends
    That looks sweet. That is a big book is that the strategy guide? I was at gamestop yesterday and skyrim was flying off the shelves. Great for an rpg.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it too early to call this one of the best RPGs ever? I'm really leaning that way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    That is a big book is that the strategy guide?
    It's actually a art-book with sketches and pictures of objects, characters, architecture and stuff like that etc etc, and it's about the only thing in the box that is really nice. I wrote a comment on the contents in the other topic.

As for the game: The interface is a lot worse than expected, which is surprising as i wasn't expecting anything, but even the oblivion UI was better, especially true for the inventory. it genuinely disturbs me and keeps me from immersing, it handles shit and it doesn't fit in terms of looks. While the world itself looks very nice it's not up to par of what's possible which was clear from the start, but still is a letdown, especially as morrowind and oblivion been groundbreaking.

Something that was good stayed the same though! Everything else is pretty fucking awesome! Exploring and sidequests everywhere! Tons of cool little stories. Well, i'm constantly refreshing SkyrimNexus in hoping a mod for the UI will pop up and maybe some better graphics enhancements, after that i will be fine again.

Edit:
    As far as best RPG of the year goes: There still is the Witcher2, which was pretty darn cool, Dragon Age 2 was rather "medium" in my opinion but also done well. Skyrim's ratings will suffer especially because of the shoty UI, and that's not me being a negative asshole, that sadly will be a fact. I would put my money on Witcher 2, but let's see if bethesta gives us some patches.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 11-12-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    Fanboys destroy everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whose todd howard? is he related to moe howard?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would put my money on Witcher 2, but let's see if bethesta gives us some patches.

I have been following witcher 2 for the pc it looks awesome. How do you think it will translate to the 360 or ps3?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there a 100% list of every quest in Oblivion? I couldn't locate one as of several years ago.

Want to finish up my game and make sure I did every quest (And perhaps do a second save to do any that I'm unable to now complete due to deaths and such).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im impressed by that picture fxmecenary , mountain dew throwback
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I have been following witcher 2 for the pc it looks awesome. How do you think it will translate to the 360 or ps3?
    Nobody knows, but they obviously take their time and CD Project generally are nice people that care. Witcher 2 is a good example how something can look when your optimize with only the PC in mind, but it proven itself to be a beauty even with some options turned down, so it still should look good on a console, a little less up to date maybe. Witcher 2 also had a view patches by now and it matured, they also take their time with porting it to the consoles, so i'm pretty sure that it should be a good experience, but we will see that early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Is there a 100% list of every quest in Oblivion? I couldn't locate one as of several years ago.
    Painstakingly compiled over years by the community:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Quests

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I rented Skyrim on Xbox 360 (will buy it later on PC after a couple of patches), and let me say that this game is absolutely magnificent! I mean, sometimes I just stop and admire the scenery. Truly one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen. Easily one of the most technologically impressive games, considering how good the graphics look with such a huge, intricate game world.

I've only been playing about 3 or 4 hours, but it seems like another Bethesda Studios masterpiece.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

To the surprise of no one, it's fantastic.

Something about the setting of Skyrim is a little depressing, though. I've put about four hours in, and I was having a blast, but it was getting me down a little bit. I never had that problem in Morrowind or Oblivion. Must be the beard dirt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm now 35 hours in and I've only completed 8 quests and killed 3 dragons. I'm taking my time.

What usually happens is that I'll be on a quest en route to some destination when I see ancient-looking ruins, an interesting cave or a bandit fortress...and I get sidetracked. That's the defining feature of Bethesda RPG's IMO and why I've loved every one.

The in-game books are excellent as well. I've probably spent 6 hours already reading every book I find. Even though I try to play it straight, I've be stealing books by the cartload. Seriously, I've stolen 100+ books. If it's one I don't have yet...bam...it's mine (and hope no one is looking).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I'm now 35 hours in and I've only completed 8 quests and killed 3 dragons. I'm taking my time.

What usually happens is that I'll be on a quest en route to some destination when I see ancient-looking ruins, an interesting cave or a bandit fortress...and I get sidetracked. That's the defining feature of Bethesda RPG's IMO and why I've loved every one.

The in-game books are excellent as well. I've probably spent 6 hours already reading every book I find. Even though I try to play it straight, I've be stealing books by the cartload. Seriously, I've stolen 100+ books. If it's one I don't have yet...bam...it's mine (and hope no one is looking).
    I believe I just turned 60 hours...that's more than all the other games I've played combined this year. And I'm grabbing the books too; I have a cupboard in my house I'm storing them in. Will do the reading later. If you haven't started the Companion quests yet, then I would recommend them. There a really cool perk you pick up early on. Fun, fun, fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have a PS3/360 but I believe this will be the game to finally sway me. I have watched over 8 hours of youtube walkthroughs so far, skipping the dungeons and most of the talky stuff, just admiring the view while the uploader wanders the wilderness. Reminds me of how I felt first time on the field in Ocarina of Time or during the entirety of Shadow of the Colossus.

Of course, actually playing it might be a bit different.. but heck even (most) the glitches in this game are entertaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

I'm bored with it after just shy of 40h, playing minecraft again, thinking about going back to Oblivion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm bored with it after just shy of 40h, playing minecraft again, thinking about going back to Oblivion.
    My advice is take a break. After putting 10 hours or so into Oblivion, I'd start to feel bored, start letting nagging things start to suck the fun out of the game for me, etc. But take a break for 6 months and it's all good again for spending another 10 hours with it over the span of a few days with it feeling fresh and fun again.

Of course, I've now owned it for 5 years and I've yet to finish it (Still have some side quest left to do and virtually all of the main quest and Shivering Isles), but I've felt like that was the best way for me to enjoy it.

And thanks to the save system and the quest logs, you don't have to worry about figuring out what you've done or what you need to do. It's easy to get right up to speed again after coming back to it after a long absence.