Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit Rot, Disc Rot, & Data Loss. An insightful look into Video Game Collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bit Rot, Disc Rot, & Data Loss. An insightful look into Video Game Collecting

Due to the fact that you are unable to search text sub-strings under four letters, it made it difficult for me to find a post regarding this problem. So please excuse me if this has been mentioned before. To the beef of the topic.

We all know that video games, and technology in general, were not built to withstand the test of time. You've probably heard the phrase "We live a world of cheap technology" at least once, but I myself never really understood what that meant. After some research and reading, I think I've finally come to understand what that term means.

Many of you who probably have owned laser-discs are familiar with the term "laser-rot" or "Disc-Rot", but you should be aware that it doesn't only effect laser-discs.

Bit-Rot, Disc Rot, CD-Bronzing, whatever term you want to call it, all it comes down to is a loss of data. I did a bit of reading mainly from this topic here, and to be honest I'm not sure if it would be wise to invest any more of my money into video games.

Now don't get the wrong impression here. I'm an avid video game enthusiast and I have the strong belief that our retro video games not only serve as historical landmarks, but are also something that should be preserved so that future generations can look back and see where it all started.

Can I willingly invest any more of my money into this hobby (again, don't get me wrong, classic-retro games are something I have a passion for), knowing that they will almost certainly break down in the years to come? I'm sure almost anyone in the retro hobby agree's that emulation simply is NOT the same experience as holding the controller in hand and popping in the game on the system. "The Real Deal", as you might call it. Is this even realistic with how long the games we're shoveling out now are meant to last?

With all that being said, it would only make logical sense to sell it all before the breakdown occurs. It's going to pain me to do this, but what other choices are available? From my understanding, "rot" of the technology is unstoppable, and it just goes to show that the merchandise wasn't meant to endure the test of time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I think it is also worth mentioning that the Manuals that are packed with Video Games can cause damage to your games! Is it really all that surprising? The chemicals from the Manual can leech into the disc and even make it unplayable. This brings me to the conclusion that Sealed-Game Collecting is pretty pointless. Also for the older-based battery games, after aging won't the acids in the battery leak all over the board of the game, thus ruining it indefinitely? I'm no whiz when it comes to technology, but theses are just a few of my speculations that I have noticed throughout the course of my collecting.
    Last edited by Apocalypse612; 12-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

First things first, Google is your friend. Do a Google search for:
    bit rot site:digitpress.com/forum
    and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Circumventing the character limit on search here has been discussed at length.

As far as games being an investment, stop thinking of them as such. All physical things will break down over time. You want an investment? Put your money into the financial market(s) of your choice. Smart investments there will ALWAYS make more money over time than trying to "invest" in a bunch of pieces of plastic that only MIGHT be worth something to a small population of the world.

I'm pretty sure that argument has been stated at length as well...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the bit on the search, I wasn't aware you could to this. As far as the investment part is concered, I'm not saying that I don't enjoy playing and collecting games. It's just hard to to invest in collecting knowing that they will soon break down and (possibly) become worthless in the near future. That's just my two cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse612 View Post
    Many of you who probably have owned laser-discs are familiar with the term "laser-rot" or "Disc-Rot", but you should be aware that it doesn't only effect laser-discs.

Bit-Rot, Disc Rot, CD-Bronzing, whatever term you want to call it, all it comes down to is a loss of data.
    Yep, this is a phenomenon well know to many of us, especially those that still have their C64's or Atari computers with floppy disks. Heck, even tapes degrade over time. However is it as big a deal as what you and others are making it out to be? Hard to say. Most of us have games and systems that date back to the early 70's that still work like the day they came off the assembly line. I've got 20+ year old video tapes that STILL work and look/sound great.

I did a bit of reading mainly from this topic here, and to be honest I'm not sure if it would be wise to invest any more of my money into video games.
    Not to sound sarcastic, but a collector of anything physical is at risk of their items possibly going sour. Paint/plastic/etc. possibly fading/yellowing due to fluorescent light, book collectors having their tomes yellow and become brittle, car collectors having their autos rust or not run...the list goes on. But yet they still collect.

To take it to the illogical extreme: why buy anything as it's just going to fall apart/malfunction later?

Can I willingly invest any more of my money into this hobby (again, don't get me wrong, classic-retro games are something I have a passion for), knowing that they will almost certainly break down in the years to come?
    See what I said above. It's a risk you take but if you like collecting and retro gaming on real hardware, why deny yourself the fun based on what can happen? I used to debate that very same thing with my original Xbox that I have great games for and some DLC I can't get anymore. I could have chucked the whole shebang after I replaced the third DVD drive but I like the games too much to not do that.

With all that being said, it would only make logical sense to sell it all before the breakdown occurs. It's going to pain me to do this, but what other choices are available? From my understanding, "rot" of the technology is unstoppable, and it just goes to show that the merchandise wasn't meant to endure the test of time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    With that mentality, again, why collect anything at all? We all die and we can't take it with us.

As for merchandise not meant to endure the test of time-what era are we talking about here? As I read it seems that this thread has a more modern slant. With the horror stories of 360's and original Xbox's and original PS2's having problems, how does this filter back to older hardware? I've heard cartridges dying but it's few and far between and in many of those cases it's just damage to the board itself for whatever reason.

I haven't run into a dead NES or Atari cart yet. Dirty as hell, yes but never a lost cause. Only cart I have problems with is Spy Hunter for the VCS and that I think is a board problem but I don't wanna damage the case to get at it.

On a side note, I think it is also worth mentioning that the Manuals that are packed with Video Games can cause damage to your games! Is it really all that surprising? The chemicals from the Manual can leech into the disc and even make it unplayable. This brings me to the conclusion that Sealed-Game Collecting is pretty pointless. Also for the older-based battery games, after aging won't the acids in the battery leak all over the board of the game, thus ruining it indefinitely? I'm no whiz when it comes to technology, but theses are just a few of my speculations that I have noticed throughout the course of my collecting.
    I'm no chemist but how in the hell do chemicals from the manual "leech" onto a disc or a cartridge for that matter? Unless the game case is dropped in water and the wet manual sticks to the game or the chemicals run off the paper and pool on/in the game and even then what's the chances of a cd/dvd based game not running after a little clean up (cartridge is another matter). If anything, wouldn't the manual smell like a cartridge after a while?

As for batteries-got a point there. However, I think the damage can be fixed by cleaning the corrosion off the circuit board. I don't know how caustic those button batteries are.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found this thread here thanks to kaedesdisciples suggestion, which pretty much covers the same topic. I may be coming off a little paranoid, but I know that this topic does at least worry a portion of the community from what I am seeing. Due to how relatively "new" video games are, in terms of age, I guess only time will tell us what happens to our games. My appologies for the "cloned" topic. I'm going to have to put in a bit more thought before I decide what I want to do as far as collecting goes. Thanks for the reponses.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Confronting the inevitable decay of physical components is maybe a bit like confronting one's own mortality - the realization that one day you will stop working, and that this is unavoidable. So knowing this, is it more preferable to ponder the investment that goes into living, or rather just focus on the experience and enjoy what you have while you have it?

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that I need to stop overthinking shit and plays me some damn video games.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Confronting the inevitable decay of physical components is maybe a bit like confronting one's own mortality - the realization that one day you will stop working, and that this is unavoidable. So knowing this, is it more preferable to ponder the investment that goes into living, or rather just focus on the experience and enjoy what you have while you have it?

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that I need to stop overthinking shit and plays me some damn video games.
    I second this. You are better off enjoying the games while they are around, instead of constantly worrying about how long they will last. I own around 140 laserdiscs, and while some of them suffer laser rot, most of them are still fine, and I enjoy them while they aren't affected. Same with my PlayStation I got as a kid, I still play with it all the time, and while I will be sad at it's death, but I will remember all the great times I had playing with it. I also collect VHS tapes, and while some of them have lasted a great long time (some of my oldest are around thirty years old and are ex-rentals, but still have great image), while some are only fifteen years old and look old and faded. It depends on who manufactured the product and how well it was made.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I don't collect much stuff from the very early ages of video games, but I do collect music CDs from all eras, and I'm well aware of disc rot. Many of my CDs have literally started to rot; many are simply unreadable by now, and a lot are rare as hell and worth some money. It's why I back them up to FLAC as soon as I get them.

You can't do that with videogames most of the time due to their copy protection.

It just sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I had posted long and somewhat technical explination about why you shouldn't worry about it so much...but my internet messed up on me and now it's gone. Oh well...

Anyways, I say just play your games, collect all you want, and don't worry so much if your grandkids will get to play your games as well.

Also, museums are full of collections that would crumble to dust if you tried to touch them. That doesn't make them any less valuable or collectable.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Funnily enough, the paper tape with Space War (1962) still works a treat, and I recently discovered a Quiz game on punch-card (1970s) for IBM computers, and I believe it'll work just fine.
    My Magnavox Odyssey cards (1972) also still work fine.
    Last edited by tom; 12-22-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) God-Zilla's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dai KaiJu Zilla

yes, but for people like me, wanting to start a museum, it all does matter I imagine things like the harmony cart/intellicart etc being the way I would ideally like to have the games available for play at the museum with the actual carts in your traditional displays; probably long after their data has died, long after I'm gone, they can still be seen and played on real hardware with 100% accuracy (I hope.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have over 5k laserdiscs in my collection and I have been collecting since 1982.

From what I understand laser rot (none of the laser manufacturers ever really admitted it existed let alone explained it - but Pioneer for a long time had a really generous replacement policy that was clearly designed to deal with it and give confidence/support to the industry) was caused by impurities/problems in the glue (laserdiscs were two separate discs that were glued together) and it really didn't surface as being a problem until Pioneer took over the bulk of the industry (this wasn't because Pioneer entered the field, but a coincidence of timing) and Discovision was phased out. Which is why almost all Discovision discs are troubled by it but relatively few Pioneer or Image ones are (there are a few titles in the Pioneer discs (such as Willow WS) that are notorious for having problems.

I work in a library and virtually all of the reports we have of data being lost are about CDRs and DVDRs rather factory embedded discs. (Some of the reports don't specify what the discs were.)

-------------------------------------

Oddities can happen also - there was an odd case back in the seventies where a malfunctioning vaccuum cleaner created a magnetic field and zapped several cases full of audio cassettes that were stored in metal cabinets.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Is there anything that can be done to at least reduce the amount of disc rot? Like use silica gel packs while storing or something similar?

It's a shame to have "prized" possessions and later realizing they can never be played.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont worry about cartridge based games as much as disc based. Ive never actually encountered any rotted game, in any format.

Actual Film/television DVDs and Music CDs are a different story cause 9 times out of 10 all the materials used are the cheapest around. Most video games on Discs use higher quality materials.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While I think the OP is a bit alarmist, there have been quite a few archival studies done in recent years showing that even factory pressed CDs can fail over time and like laserdiscs, the theory is that it is a material problem as opposed to a technology one. In fact, even some fairly recent CDs and DVDs suffer from the problem on occasion and it has little to do with whether they are CDr's, replicated or duplicated discs. I do think it's a serious concern and I can't imagine too many museums where people would go to see essentially non-working discs and cartridges. While a lot of us collect complete boxed games, the packaging is nice, but I think the hope is that we will be able to play them 50 years from now. Unfortunately, that's pretty unrealistic in many cases. I'm not sure what the solution is other than not to spend thousands of dollars on individual games and to make sure that you don't treat your collection as some kind of long-term investment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

You should store lasers in a relatively cool area - mine live in a basement room so even in the summer (we don't use our central air conditioning and use a swamp cooler instead - much cheaper and feels better too) they don't get hot. (I also keep them off the walls with lathing and they are elevated a few inches above the floor to avoid condensation from the walls/floor.) You also have to be aware of where your heat vent is - you don't want them too close to that. I keep my vent in that room only partially open in any event.

I don't have any discovision discs in my collection since they were already having problems when I bought my first player. Out of the discs I remember buying in 1982, none have showed any problems yet. (Same is true of my first few cds - which I also started buying in 1982.)
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 12-22-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

With discs, as Natty Bumppo was alluding to, cheaply manufactured discs mean greater likelyhood of premature failure. Quality made discs mean they should last much much longer.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) God-Zilla's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dai KaiJu Zilla

good info, as I have many laserdisc video games I want to keep preserved for the museum... (halcyon thayers quest, palcon astron belt, many laseractive games, among others.) Now if only I could find an actual halcyon for my museum

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    With discs, as Natty Bumppo was alluding to, cheaply manufactured discs mean greater likelyhood of premature failure. Quality made discs mean they should last much much longer.
    The problem is, with video games, you really have no idea where they are coming from as Sony and the other companies all have a bunch of facilities which are approved and other than general quality control at release, there is no requirement that the discs be tested for likely future degradation. There was a great segment on Modern Marvels a few months back that showed the Smithsonian or the Library of Congress, I can't recall which and all the testing they are doing of digital formats. The chief digital archivist made it clear that they really have no idea which discs are more or less likely to degrade as even within a single batch by the same manufacturer, you can have failures.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by God-Zilla View Post
    good info, as I have many laserdisc video games I want to keep preserved for the museum... (halcyon thayers quest, palcon astron belt, many laseractive games, among others.) Now if only I could find an actual halcyon for my museum
    If you haven't noticed problems with your Thayer's Quest disc to date, it probably is not one that is prone to laser rot. A significant percentage of them are unfortunately. I have collected laserdiscs since the mid-80s and out of about 1,000 including many check and test discs and prototypes, I have only noticed a rot issue with my Discovision discs and a couple of 90s Pioneer discs which have known problems per other collectors. My storage routine is basically the same as Natty although our house is pretty tightly climate controlled at 70 degrees year round and living in California, we don't have extremes of heat or moisture most of the year.