Thread: I just got a TG16+CD...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I just got a TG16+CD...

So I got a few questions to ask...

1.) What are the different system cards and what do they do?
    2.) How dependable is the TG16-CD hardware (I already have a regular TG16)
    3.) Any way I can get a Composite or S-Video cable for my Turbografx?

By the way, it came with Last Alert. How is it? any fun? Any value?

Thanks
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did it come with any system cards? Also composite output should already be on the deck of the CD base attachment unit. The composite output is incredibly clear. You need a mod to get s-video.

Last Alert is a pretty good game. The dialog is great (very funny voice acting). Lots of memorable lines/quotes from that game. And the game itself is fun (and it's long too. Lot's of stages).

It's 3/4 view and it's similar to Ikari/Heavy Barrel/etc style of games. The levels are laid out in that you have to work your way through spanning large areas; it's not just 'keep moving up'. Some stages require exploring to find hostages or defuse bombs. The stage design is similar to Bloody Wolf, if you've played that. You also get experience from killing enemies and gain new levels. Each new level, you get a new gun (to pick from, you can switch back to any gun at any time). There's also options and secondary weapons you can pick up, but have limited time/ammo. It's a bit on the easy side, but the length makes up for it. The game is old CD (CD 2.0) and it's actually a pretty good game for a setup that only had 64k of cart space at a time (CDRAM). For a CD 2.0 game, I rank it fairly high. For a game in general, from that era, it still ranks fairly high. It's great fun
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 2.0 card was the standard card that came with it, and it will play all TurboGrafX-16CD games, including imports. What it will not play are SuperCD or Arcade CD games. The 3.0 card will play the former, and the Arcade Card will allow you to play all CD games. The arcade card is import only, so you would need to mod your system or get a converter to use it, but there was a US release for the 3.0 card, though they aren't that cheap. In any case, you will need at least one of those cards to play any CD games at all.

As for reliability, they don't have a good reputation. And I don't know anything about getting S-Video out of the thing.

Edit: And I should probably point out that there are only a dozen games that use the Arcade Card, so don't bother looking for one unless you really want those specific games. A 3.0 card will be your best option for the vast majority of the CD library.
    Last edited by Atariguy; 12-23-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It can be very difficult to find a US CD drive in any condition now. More so if working. Even harder than that, to get one sold apart from the base console.

I ended up having to upgrade to Duo, too few usable condition CD drives for sale.
    Lum fan.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you can find a cheap import adapter just go ahead and get an Arcade Card Pro. The Arcade Card Pro also has the System 3.0 card built in so you'll be able to play all the CD games with it. Also the American 3.0 card is expensive as hell since it was mail order only when it was released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Go with converter and arcade card...i have a Duo with the arcade card

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

That's right. I did get an arcard card game on that bundle. Never thought I'd have use for one. Hehe.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    It can be very difficult to find a US CD drive in any condition now. More so if working. Even harder than that, to get one sold apart from the base console.

I ended up having to upgrade to Duo, too few usable condition CD drives for sale.
    I have no experience with fixing the original CD units, but from what I've read in the 'repair' section over at PCFX, you can replace the laser units. Some guy even replaced the gear from the known gear issue (there's a certain gear that has shown up broken on a few CD players).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    So I got a few questions to ask..
    2.) How dependable is the TG16-CD hardware (I already have a regular TG16)
    Well the gear in the turbo-cd can ware out and break then your screwed.Now there has been talk over at the pcfx forums about finding a replacement or making a new gear,but so far nothing has come of it.

Btw the best way to play the games on cd is either a duo-r or rx.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-24-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I gather it is the standard issue 2.0 system card.

Also thank you for all your replies. I've known for a long time how difficult it is to come by these units and that is why I asked about the dependability.

So now I ask, where can I get this composite cable? Or is it the standard composite cable I can by at a C-store?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the back of the CD interface unit are your standard Yellow-Red-White triplet of phono plugs. Just buy a standard phono-to-phono AV cable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love it when I can get the standard jacks from the superstores to work with game consoles. I was ecstatic when I found out that my 3DO would take standard composite and S-video. Now I'm even happier to know that my TG-CD will accept standard composite as well...

Now if I can just get the damn thing to run on S-video... hey, is that possible?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tg16

S- Video mod is possible on the TG16 though a lot go for the RGB mod. With the RGB mod you can hook it up to monitors or TVs that can accept RGB (15KHz) or buy a converter to HDMI or Component. As for the TG16 CD addon, yeah the weak spot is a middle gear. Right now though there is research in getting a molding of the middle gear. I think within a week we will hear if the molding was a success or not. If it is a success then there will be a huge break through in finding a replacement middle gear. As for the laser, you can buy a replacement laser online. It is a bit of a pain to replace the laser (much easier to replace in a duo). For the price of buying the TG16 CD addon, you may as well buy a Duo R or RX instead. Buy a Duo if you know how to replace some capacitors...long story in that one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah yes, I was considering RGB mod, however i'm in the good ole' US of A. Finding televisions with RGB Scart is ridiculously difficult around here in the midwest. Not to mention, the RGB to component convertors from what I gather cost a pretty penny, and a VERY pretty one at that.

Can someone fill me in on this?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

All that I have to add is that Last Alert is absolutely FANTASTIC. It's got some of the best, most memorable dialog...ever. Make sure to get Final Zone II, also. The dialog is almost as terrible, which is an amazing feat in itself. It would be as bad if it were as long a game.

Mr. Lee ("of the Hong Kong Mafia")'s Engrish alone is worth the price of admission. Just OUTSTANDING.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Ah yes, I was considering RGB mod, however i'm in the good ole' US of A. Finding televisions with RGB Scart is ridiculously difficult around here in the midwest. Not to mention, the RGB to component convertors from what I gather cost a pretty penny, and a VERY pretty one at that.

Can someone fill me in on this?
    The RGB to Component doesn't cost that much unless you are going for a XRGB-#
    Here is a cheap RGB to Component the

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-YU...#ht_1603wt_932

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty nifty. Thanks Staxx.

Also, I heard Last Alert is sort of like Heavy Barrel. Is this true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you're interested in s-video mod for the PCE, I'm working out the details/design for one for the system. It doesn't require a separate encoder chip like the other mods do. Plus, you get the accurate (read: real) colors of the system - not the RGB scaled stuff like you do with other mods. The PCE has a specific fixed color set for composite that's unique to it, because of the low precision stepping of the table and YUV DAC outputs (it's a hard coded table). I'm also working on a component output of this too, but that's more detailed and requires some demodulation - but you still get the same authentic PCE color palette with it (again, as opposed to other component setups out there). If you're a PC Engine purist, that is Some people are just happy enough to have s-video or component output and don't really care about color accuracy/authenticity.
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 12-31-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is what I am in a nutshell... I demand the absolute best possible video quality.

Whether it is through mods or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am very interested in accurate and encoderless mods. I would probably stick to S-Video mods of this type purely because video capture devices that work with these systems typically don't have Component inputs. I still keep watching for an HD PVR for less than $200 though.

My upscaling VGA to Component adapter for my Dreamcast resulted in video quality settings changes with each resolution from 480i/p, 720p and 1080i. Fortunately Impact Acoustics provided the device with its own video settings adjustments. But that still leaves me eyeballing changes and arbitrarily deciding what is "best".

Dreamcast is my only system with any sort of unorthodox setup and I have no desire to go back to vanilla S-Video for it. I will try hooking the VGA adapter straight to my new LCD set just to see if I like it better though. Somehow I am doubting that I will want to give up the upscaling capabilities of the adapter though.