1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Default Grandia Debate.

Okay, so ten years after purchasing my Saturn, I'm finally getting into importing Saturn games. Just today, I've imported X-Men vs Street Fighter (why I bought my Saturn in the first place), along with Shining Wisdom and Holy Ark.

However, I'm really debating about Grandia. I can get the Saturn version for about $10, or I can get the PSX version off PSN for $10 as well.

The Saturn version is the superior version, even though I have to use a fan text translation. But the PSX version is already in english, and only $10 off PSN, as opposed to $40 - $50 for the physical copy. I've heard the translation is a bit spotty though.

Opinions?

Edit: This is much better suited for the Import forum. My apologies.

Also, anyone know if there are text translations of the Saturn Lunar games, and SamSho RPG?
    Last edited by Cloud121; 12-26-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you don't mind using a translation guide and you're really into RPG's I say go for it, it's only $10. I'm not sure if the Saturn Lunar's have guides but I know that the Neo Geo CD version of Samurai Showdown RPG has an English patch. I'm sure there are guides somewhere though for those three games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Grandia is my all time favorite RPG. There's nothing wrong with playing it on the PlayStation. Yes, the localization toned some things down but it's not like it does anything to hurt the game. Coffee instead of beer? OMG the game is broken!!!!

Aside from that, yeah the translation isn't amazingly perfect or anything. But the game is fun and entertaining throughout the ENTIRE THING (the Final Fantasy series and early DQ games could have learned a thing or twenty here).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd recommend the PSX version because it's in English as well. I think the localization is well done and the voice acting really gives the characters a lot of personality you won't be able to appreciate if you can't understand the language.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see any need to bother with a fan-translation...the US version is more than adequate....I loved it.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have owned both versions and they are essentially the same game. If you like relatively bad (Working Designs quality) english dubbing and don't care about completely different graphical effects at times, the PS1 game is fine.

Having owned Shining Force III Scenario 2 for over twelve years and never played into it because of a lack of translation, I can definitely see the appeal of buying an adaptation with english dubbing.

However, these game storylines are not exactly that difficult to figure out even without a translation. I even played most of the way through Dragon Force and basically knew what was going on in the Japanese version without a translation.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    However, these game storylines are not exactly that difficult to figure out even without a translation. I even played most of the way through Dragon Force and basically knew what was going on in the Japanese version without a translation.
    I tell people this all the time (as one reason I like playing Japanese RPGs even tho I can't read Japanese), but no one ever believes me. Especially w/ later games that have cut scenes and FMVs, it's not that hard to get a general idea of what's going on in the game. Hell, the story I make up in my head half the time turns out to be better than the one presented (when/if I ever find out what the story actually is).
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com