Thread: Any new SNES RPG's?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Any new SNES RPG's?

Been reading/checking the Pier Solar thread, and with all that talk, it's got me wondering if anyone is currently working or developing a new rpg for the Super Nintendo.

I could see such a project generating a HUGE amount of interest and also a nice reward for the people behind the project.

Anyone know if a new original RPG for the snes is being developed? I for one, would preorder it in a heartbeat.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

I don't know of any new SNES RPGs, but Super Fighter Team will release the run and gun game Nightmare Busters for the SNES in 2011. Where new RPGs are concerned, however, we will be releasing Star Odyssey for the Genesis / Mega Drive, also in 2011.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES homebrew scene is in a pretty primitive state at the moment. There are some people making demos, but no one is making any full-fledged games, let alone an RPG.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Have you really exhausted all the RPG options for the SNES? The Genesis isn't known much for RPGs, at least not Japanese-style ones, so it makes sense to add to that library. But there are so many Super Famicom RPGs and so many of them are great, that I would guess that you probably haven't played every last worthwhile one. If you're craving more SNES RPGs, try importing (or following the fan translation scene if you won't play in Japanese).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    Been reading/checking the Pier Solar thread, and with all that talk, it's got me wondering if anyone is currently working or developing a new rpg for the Super Nintendo.

I could see such a project generating a HUGE amount of interest and also a nice reward for the people behind the project.

Anyone know if a new original RPG for the snes is being developed? I for one, would preorder it in a heartbeat.

+1. Super glad regarding NIGHTMARE BUSTERS, but we fans demand more! (pretty please, that is)

Any new SNES game, regardless of genre, would be a smash hit I'd think. Maybe we'll see some within the next year or two? Fingers crossed...

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About the only homebrew game for the snes that I am aware of is N-Warp Daisakusen by d4s (if you don't count some of obscure homebrew things created during the BBS era). One of the reasons that was made was to demonstrate that an 8 player game could be made for the system. If there are people other than d4s working on original code at the moment, I am not aware of it.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    About the only homebrew game for the snes that I am aware of is N-Warp Daisakusen by d4s (if you don't count some of obscure homebrew things created during the BBS era). One of the reasons that was made was to demonstrate that an 8 player game could be made for the system.

Thanks for the reminder Evan! I completely forgot about this one. Just went ahead, looked it up and will try it later tonight when I get home. How did you like the game? 8 player feature sounds really nice... the most I'm aware of is 5 player support (even though there's a multitap for 6 controllers, do ANY SNES games support up to 6 HUMAN players? I know Battle Cross has 6 racers yet oddly, only 5 humans can play. Maybe one of the NHL/NBA games on SNES supports up to 6? Not sure)

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Using Pier Solar as a good example for homebrews, I have to ask do you want to wait several years for the completion of a game? Aside from that, as the Pier Solar team stated, they are considering moving the game to XBox Live, which I think makes sense. It simply doesn't make financial sense I think to put that much effort into a homebrew like that, and have to go through the task of making cartridges. Digital distribution is the way to go.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If you're craving more SNES RPGs, try importing (or following the fan translation scene if you won't play in Japanese).
    Indeed, there is a tremendous number of high-quality fan-translated SNES RPGs.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'd like to see more SNES RPGs too.

No, I haven't exhausted the existing library, but the SNES can never have enough RPGs.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'd like to see more SNES RPGs too.

No, I haven't exhausted the existing library, but the SNES can never have enough RPGs.
    We (Super Fighter Team) may look into the possibility of producing a SNES/SFC RPG, in the future -- the idea certainly sounds tantalizing -- but at the moment our work schedule is quite full.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!