Thread: correct 7.1 speakers for a Sony STR-DH710?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Default correct 7.1 speakers for a Sony STR-DH710?

Not exactly video game related, but done right it'll make many games sound epic compared to the usual TV.

I bought this unit new and it's been sitting in the box unused for months. Due to an obvious oversight on my part - speakers not included.

Ideas what kinds of speakers work?
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have that same receiver and I'm pretty sure it's a 6.1. I just used a 5.1 speaker setup with it though (I think only a handful of movies & PS3 games use 6.1/7.1 sound anyway).

Any speakers will work. You can be picky about it and make sure all your speakers have the same frequency specs, but most people won't care or notice. Before I upgraded to a new Onkyo receiver and Polk Studios, I got my speakers from Goodwill on the cheap. I had 2 JBL bookselfs as fronts and a very cheap JBL center. For rears, I had a pair of those cheap Sony's that you can get everywhere for $50. Only speaker I splurged on was a Dayton sub that I bought for $130.

That Sony is a decent receiver though. I had it for about a year and it never gave me any problems. Just wish it had more than 2 HDMI inputs though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

If this is the manual, mine should be capable of at least 96khz 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. Not that I've ever gotten to hear such sound quality at home.

Yeah the hard part about mixed speakers is narrowing down what's worth buying. A search would bring up hundreds of results. I'll find some way.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhh, I just realized I had the DG710, not the DH. Guess you've got the updated version that does 7.1

As for speakers, I'd check out the DG710 thread on AVSforum and see what people are using for theirs. I really like Polk's though. I just got the Monitor 70's II + CS2 II and they rock. Bass is so good on them that I rarely turn my sub on anymore. They're always on sale at Newegg too.