Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Smile 1/1/11 First score of the Year

Dear Goodwill,

Please stop putting oodles of stickers on game labels. Thanks.
    ---

Sooo, I suppose I just wanted to share my joy at what I got today. Nothing spectacular, but better than usual.
    Feel free to post your first lucky finds this year!

-SNES-
    Super Mario All Stars - $6
    Contra III: Alien Wars, Killer Instinct, Punch Out, Shadowrun, MK3, Bart's Nightmare, DK Country - $3 each

and then 15 NES carts I didn't have for $0.50 each, most notably of which was River City Ransom (minty).

But THEN I went to a store similar to Play 'n Trade. I was with my sister and her two kids, who were both freaking out at all the stuffed Mario plushies. "Look, uncle David! BEE MARIO!", etc.. They were asking their mom for basically everything in the store, but in a cute way. Some dude walks over, explains that they wouldn't give store credit for the systems he brought in, and asked if we wanted them.

We walked away with a free N64 w/ booster pak, a free Genesis II, and a Playstation 1. Thanks for being cute, kids!

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitmusic View Post
    Dear Goodwill,

Please stop putting oodles of stickers on game labels. Thanks.
    ---

Sooo, I suppose I just wanted to share my joy at what I got today. Nothing spectacular, but better than usual.
    Feel free to post your first lucky finds this year!

-SNES-
    Super Mario All Stars - $6
    Contra III: Alien Wars, Killer Instinct, Punch Out, Shadowrun, MK3, Bart's Nightmare, DK Country - $3 each

and then 15 NES carts I didn't have for $0.50 each, most notably of which was River City Ransom (minty).

But THEN I went to a store similar to Play 'n Trade. I was with my sister and her two kids, who were both freaking out at all the stuffed Mario plushies. "Look, uncle David! BEE MARIO!", etc.. They were asking their mom for basically everything in the store, but in a cute way. Some dude walks over, explains that they wouldn't give store credit for the systems he brought in, and asked if we wanted them.

We walked away with a free N64 w/ booster pak, a free Genesis II, and a Playstation 1. Thanks for being cute, kids!
    I would happily take stickers on items over what all of the Goodwills and thrifts use here, permanent marker. Cool story though. I need to get off my duff and see if the Flea Markets are open today.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That's a pretty decent you scored, IMO. Especially the $3 SNES titles, and 50¢ NES carts. The whole free consoles thing is pretty surreal. Stuff like that just doesn't happen to me.

I just realized it's Saturday. I'll probably hit the swap meet today and see what's out there, but expectations are low.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first score of the year was 1,540,000 in Contra. (NES) Played without the 30 man code, finished it twice on one credit. Got to stage 2 on loop 3, got tired of playing it and turned it off. I'm sure I could have finished it a couple more times if I still had the vigor of my youth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Default January 2011 finds

My first finds for 2011 are from the swap meet.

Mario Kart Wii $20
    Super Smash TV for Game Gear $3

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you beat me by one minute D:

T_T

Old post:

Happy new year! :P

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a movie. A movie? But what movie?

SUPER MARIO BROS. Also pictured are the two movies I got yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you beat me by one minute D:

T_T

Old post:

Happy new year! :P

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a movie. A movie? But what movie?

SUPER MARIO BROS. Also pictured are the two movies I got yesterday.
    Sorry about stealing your thunder. If I had known you were going to make a thread, I wouldn't have done it. Still friends?

Anyways, good score. I bought Super Mario Bros. The Movie as soon as it came out. I know it's not the best film, but it's one of my guilty pleasures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I hate you.

I actually picked out two other movies, The Lost Boys 1 Special Edition and Howard The Duck, but I lost track of Lost Boys and Howard had a loose disk inside.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

i got the coolest find i have ever gotten.

I don't know how much its worth (could be worth what i paid.. i don't know lol)
    but whatever i am super happy about it
    its not a movie or cd or a game

what is it?

well i have 5 main hobbies.

Cars
    Games
    Movies
    Music
    and Antiques (cause i love history....despite almost failing it in high school lol)

and i wanted to see what kinda antiques i could come across (haven't been antiquing in almost a year)
    Well had nothing to do today and so me and a family member went to a local antique mall... sadly they weren't open for new years.
    The family member mentioned in a few towns over of a antique flea market kinda deal (same idea just different name) thats inside this buildings basement. and i knew about it but i never once walked in. So i was like fine... lets go.
    We go inside checked out and saw they had some really cool things. (found a early 1900's bug sprayer for 6 bucks with bold letters "KILLS INSECTS!" i thought it was cool but didn't pounce on it and i found a "House Call Kit" for 25. thought it was a old doctors bag but in the form of a box. but no it was something just as neat though. It was a kit a priest would lug around to bring to a home of someone needing a last prayer or something read to them. would contain a cross and candles and other assorted items. made out silver and had candles to go with it! pretty cool but i am not really into religious antiques) so what did i get?
    for 30 dollars i bought this

now i know i know your asking yourself now "you paid 30 dollars for worn out old normal looking wooden box"

but wait theres more to this box

this was inside...

still confused?

well let me explain.
    This is a medical device that was used as what is known today as a "Cure All Device". That would cure anything from back pains to pimples to hair loss. Hell for all they knew it could cure cancer as we speak. (if they even thought about cancer in the time frame this was made)
    You'd either crank it via a crank that you'd insert the device or power it by very large battery (which sadly this machines missing but that gives me something to hunt down!). It would generate electricity
    you'd plug in a cord or multiple cords (depends on what ales you which the book you see explains what you'd do to cure what you had). into 1 of the 3 holes and you'd plug it into the paddles on the other end of the cord and depending on your problem you'd either use the cylinders or you'd use the sponges (i am missing one sadly but more to hunt for!) (you'd also dip the sponges in water first) flip the switch and apply the paddles to where ever the manual called to cure your problem and it would shock you depending on what setting you'd put it on.... and Vola you were cured

of course this actually didn't cure anything but it gave a shocking satisfaction (pun intended! lol)
    these were called later on by doctors as "Quack Medical Devices" quack meaning made by wannabe doctors that really didn't know what they had on their hands and just put a stamp of approval saying it will do as its said to do.

This particular model was made in the late 1920's by a company called "Voltamp"

It might not be worth a whole hell of alot of money. hell for all i know i might have over paid for it

but its got one hell of a story behind it that makes a great topic starter at parties

history is fun!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Collector_Gaming For This Useful Post:

Slate (08-13-2018)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Can it still generate electricity even without the battery?

Quack medical devices are fun. I wonder if there are any of those radium quack devices out there still. One was like a dispenser where you put water in it and it supposedly irradiated the water, and gave you many health benefits. Actually, it barely had any radium in it at all, you were more likely to get sick from the lead and mercury in the metal. Pretty much anything you could buy, you could have radium put in it.

Of course, they were dangerous. One time irradiated water was sold, a man drank so much that his jaw fell off. That put an end to most electric/radiation quackery, with one notable exception.

X-Ray shoe fitting stands which were used for a very short period in the 40's and 50's until they realized they were putting out ten times what is the yearly allowed amount of radiation exposure in one use.

Anyway, lucky.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Can it still generate electricity even without the battery?

Quack medical devices are fun. I wonder if there are any of those radium quack devices out there still. One was like a dispenser where you put water in it and it supposedly irradiated the water, and gave you many health benefits. Actually, it barely had any radium in it at all, you were more likely to get sick from the lead and mercury in the metal. Pretty much anything you could buy, you could have radium put in it.

Of course, they were dangerous. One time irradiated water was sold, a man drank so much that his jaw fell off. That put an end to most electric/radiation quackery, with one notable exception.

X-Ray shoe fitting stands which were used for a very short period in the 40's and 50's until they realized they were putting out ten times what is the yearly allowed amount of radiation exposure in one use.

Anyway, lucky.
    You present a picture of irradiation that is commonly believed, but entirely false. Irradiation of food or water does not cause the food or water to become radioactive. The danger from those water jugs was almost entirely from the arsenic and lead that the uranium ore they used would leeched into the water as you noted. That's very different from irradiation, which could be a very useful and safe method for making our food supply safer. Too bad it has a name that makes people panicky and lose all sense of reason.

We used to have the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices here in Minneapolis. It was free and very very cool. All kinds of crazy stuff including one of those x-ray foot/shoe sizing machines. Fortunately it was all donated to the Science Museum when they closed so some of it can still be viewed.

And yeah, those radioactive jugs and dishes and stuff are still out there and sell for quite a bit of money as antiques/collectibles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Either way, it just wasn't good for you. Plus, the jugs promised to restore "the lost element of original freshness—radioactivity." Apparently came from the belief that spring water had radon gas in it. Like you said, it poisoned people, but not with radon.

Radithor, however, did. That's what cause a guy's jaw to fall off.

I saw that museum on Modern Marvels. Looked really cool. Also liked the light exposure quackery, said that sitting in certain lights could cure disease.

Now I want a piece of quackery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I saw that museum on Modern Marvels. Looked really cool. Also liked the light exposure quackery, said that sitting in certain lights could cure disease.
    Except it wasn't completely quack...er... stuff.

Yeah, I know. :P The old ways WERE quacky. Nowadays not so much.

(For god's sake stop using such weird words!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Except it wasn't completely quack...er... stuff.

Yeah, I know. :P The old ways WERE quacky. Nowadays not so much.

(For god's sake stop using such weird words!)
    Yeah, that looks legitimate, but old light therapy promised to cure things like pancreatic cancer. Also, you had to do it in the complete dark, during certain moon phases, naked.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Either way, it just wasn't good for you. Plus, the jugs promised to restore "the lost element of original freshness—radioactivity." Apparently came from the belief that spring water had radon gas in it. Like you said, it poisoned people, but not with radon.

Radithor, however, did. That's what cause a guy's jaw to fall off.

Now I want a piece of quackery.
    what the ironic thing is

i always wanted a quack medical device for like over 10 years (i love odd and weird and bizarre historical items!)
    I watched the recent episode of the show "Oddities" on Discovery channel this past thursday night and saw they had a Electro Shock therapy machine come in and such. and i was like that is soooooooo friggin cool i want one.

Well.. one event led to another and sure enough at a antique mall like place 30 miles from my own home there was such a device up for sale within my price range. like it was ment to be

i love the cure all devices.

i mean i love the fact some popular sodas we all drink now a days once were thought to be a cure all themselves.
    I would love to get my hands on some other devices or bottles of concoctions.
    Radithol would be awesome.
    or a container that had the famous "Tape Worm Cure" that was used in the late 1800s.

other odd items i would be interested in would be
    a Blood Letting kit (would have multiple blades that would pop out in a very fast method cutting you precisely. The idea was that letting blood would also cure things.

The hardest to find item i would love to have is a non medical item and is actually religious (the only religious item i really want at that)
    a Vampire Killing Kit (and yes they really did make such a thing)
    would be medium sized case contain usually a copy of the holy bible, a cross, a vial of holy water, i think sometimes garlic, and a stake (and some of them contained a small single shot pistol). They were made in the late 1800's very cool and very hard to find item as they weren't really manufactured a more of a made by the local church or something like that kinda item
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 01-01-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

These days, vampire killing kits contain maps for all the local Hot Topic stores.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

These days, vampire killing kits contain maps for all the local Hot Topic stores.
    i thought they would be found at when ever a new twilight came out

*waits for the burn* lol

no but seriously.

like heres a really nice kit for a example

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ponyponypony's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TW0 0F SPADES

Default Apf-m1000

So I came across something pretty neat today. My fiancee and I went to a flea market and didn't expect much. So the old 60+ couple that were selling N64's and SNES's (They had about 15 of each, all in very good condition) and video games kind of blew my mind. I picked up some 5200 games, and saw a game that was too wide to be a 2600 cart, but too skinny to be a 5200 cart. We just got home, and apparently it goes to a system I've never heard of - The APF-M1000. I would say it's in "average" condition. The game is called "Casino 1: Roulette/Keno/Slots."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only good modern vampire is a Konami vampire.

My friend had the opportunity to buy a "really old Compaq." I'm not sure if it's much of a "find" or not, but we split the cost of $80 for the PC and a big bag of software and manuals.

It's a Compaq Portable, released in '82 to compete with the IBM PC. This particular unit has two floppy drives (5.25"), but they're different from what I've seen included with this model. Two fit in one bay, and the other bay has a plastic insert. Aside from that, it looks pretty standard. There's three ISA boards inside, being the floppy controller, the video board, and an unidentified board (RAM?) that has no ports but tons of ICs. Everything seemed to work except the keyboard, but we figured out why after a few hours. The keys have metal-painted foam pads underneath that bridge the contacts on the PCB. Once we disassembled the keyboard, we could just use our fingers to bridge the contacts like it was a very ghetto touch-sensitive keyboard. I brought over my copy of Mega Man III PC to test, and it does indeed run... I haven't been able to test if my old Apple joystick works on it or not, we never plugged it back in after we had the keyboard issues.

The included software isn't much to speak of, probably nothing of real value (Lotus Symphony?). It does include the manual for the PC and the BASIC guide, but it's missing the DOS reference. The manual has a DOS 1.02 disk inside, but we preferred the copied DOS 2.12 disks we found in the cases.

We're probably going to sell it, but it does need a bit more testing. I want to see the composite output next time I stop by his place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    My friend had the opportunity to buy a "really old Compaq." I'm not sure if it's much of a "find" or not, but we split the cost of $80 for the PC and a big bag of software and manuals.
    I would consider that a damn fine find. Old computers like that are hard to find let alone working with a bundle of software to go with. I am jealous.
    DERP