Thread: Help wanted: Trying to identify a gaming system and a game from my childhood

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Help wanted: Trying to identify a gaming system and a game from my childhood

Hi all!

My first post at the forum. I thought maybe this is a place I could ask about a problem that has been bothering me for a long time. Namely at our family we had a gaming system in the late 80's or early 90's that had exactly one game. I have some vague memories playing with it, and it was fun. But what bothers me is that I have no idea what system and game was it. I'd really like to know. So I'm calling for your help, dear readers, by describing the system and the game. Maybe someone can identify the stuff.

Ok let's start with the system. My step-sister's grandfather gave it to us. I can't remember which year it was but most likely between 89 and 91. He was doing business in Asia, Macao I think, and I'm under assumption he brought the system from there. It might be a clone of some western system, I don't know. But I'm sure that was the only machine of its kind in the small country town in Finland where we were living at the time! The Machine was a gaming console, not home computer like ZX Spectrum or C64. It was connected to our living room TV (PAL). I have no clear recollection about the looks of the system but if I try really hard, I think it reminds something like a ZX Spectrum (black, not very tall, "book-like"), but without keyboard of course. The game was provided on a cartridge which is not very unlike of the cartridges C64 uses. It was black and about the same size. The port for mounting was not at the back of the machine like in C64 but it was at the top of the console's surface. Horizontally in the middle and at the back depth-wise. The controller was probably a joystick of some sort. Based on my memories about the game, graphics capabilities of the system were not something you might expect something from a state-of-the-art early-90's machine. More like early 80's. 8-bit for sure.

More about the game. There's a wall of a house taking most of the screen space. There's some open windows, maybe four columns and three rows of them. From the street and the windows spiders spawn at random locations at increasingly quicker rate as the game progresses. The critters are crawling up the wall (both stright up and diagonally) and trying to reach the top. A life is lost if they manage to invade the rooftop. But no worries, there's something the hero can do about it! At the roof there's a dude that the player controls with the joystick. He can move between the columns of windows. Every now an then a flower pot (yes!) appears at the eaves. The player can push the pot down and it'll wipe all the critters along its way. The more spiders you manage to waste the more points you get. Very simple. You could think the game as a sort of creative Space Invaders clone.

That's about it. Nice retrogaming people, does this ring any bells?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The description of the system sounds a bit like an Atari 7800.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_7800
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Interton VC 4000?

Hanimex?

Atari 7800?
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 01-03-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game sounds very much like Activision's Crackpots. Here are some screenshots:

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_p...areLabelID=111

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any guesses on the system, but the first game that came to mind on reading the description (which was pretty descriptive, btw) was Crackpots as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I don't have any guesses on the system, but the first game that came to mind on reading the description (which was pretty descriptive, btw) was Crackpots as well.
    In that case, it narrows the system choices down greatly, as it was only available on the 2600.

The Japanese Atari 2800

The 1982 black case revision

2600 jr

Either these, the original VCS,the 7800, or some odd clone system that would be difficult to pinpoint. Page with more systems/info/pics. http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 01-04-2011 at 03:42 AM.