Thread: My lazy right gamer thumb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default My lazy right gamer thumb

Having grown up with a plethora of classic consoles, I have seen the evolution of the control pad - From paddles to joysticks, to digital control pads, and then to dual-analog thumbsticks (And now to motion control, but that doesn't count).

Over the years we have had to adapt to the way we play our favourite games. My hands have held many controllers, of all shape, size, and style, some being more comfortable than others. Looking back, it's hard to understand how we ever put up with some dreadful controller design. The Atari Jaguar controller springs to mind, as does the Dreamcast, as well as several others. Controllers have evolved to the point where the two main current generation controllers (The PS3 DualShock3 and X360 Wireless) are supposed to be the result of years of research and perfection, blending aesthetics with ergonomic design and functionality.

Every generation the controllers get more complex, and we have to train ourselves into learning how to use the tools in our hands to control what we see on the screen. Today's controllers typically have around a dozen buttons each, as well as two separate methods of directional input - One digital, and one dual-analog - Whereas back-in-the-day we would be used to significantly less. That didn't necessarily mean we would have less fun with older games though!

I've personally progressed from an Atari 2600 joystick, through the 8bit and 16bit era's, and then to the modern day post-PlayStation era. I was fine up until around 1997 when Sony decided to release the Dual Analog Controller, which is what I consider the turning point for gaming, and a controller which shaped the way we would play games for the next decade...

Now I had already trained myself to use the one-buttoned Atari joystick in such a way that it was comfortable to use, cradled in your left hand, left thumb on the big red button, joystick in the other. The NES and Master System controllers were something different, and took a little getting used to, but it was the 8bit controllers which would have an everlasting effect on what we would generally accept as a "normal" layout, with directional control on the left and action buttons on the right. Everything which followed would adopt this basic form factor, up until the time Sony introduced dual-analog controls (Have you ever seen a controller with the D-Pad and buttons switched sides?)

The problem I seem to have is that I spent so many years training my brain into thinking that LEFT = movement and RIGHT = action, but no longer was that true with Sony's new controller. Now we had to train our brains into controlling two different axis of movement simutaneously. However, whilst many people have found the transition easy, I have never been able to fully get used to dual-analog controls - Most probably because I am a retro gamer at heart, and still play all the classic 8bit and 16bit games

I have to admit, I sometimes struggle in regards to controlling with my right digit. This is mostly evident in console FPS games where I generally tend to be let down by my "lazy right thumb", simply because it's not accustomed to delicate aiming. It's almost as if my right thumb been reduced to a secondary function, numbed over the years through brute force button mashing, where the other digits on my right hand play a more active role in performing those actions these days

I'm not saying that dual-analog controls aren't a good innovation, because they are. I enjoy playing console FPS games now more than I ever did before dual-analog came along (Even though I prefer mouse & keyboard controls), and I couldn't imagine what FPS games would be like without them (Although GoldenEye's controls would probably have become the standard control method I guess?). I suppose a new gamer would find the controls very natural to use, as would anybody who has learnt to adapt, but it's just one of those things that i've never really been able to do...

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not completely related but I can't play any FPS unless I have it setup like goldeneye, right stick strafes and looks vertically

my brain can't comprehend moving forward and back using my right thumb

driving games forcing you to use the triggers to accelerate were also hard to get used to

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OP made me think of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEGyrEnXrk

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can honestly say that the only game where I can comfortably use the right thumbstick for moving anything is... NHL 09. And even then, it's just shooting/dekeing with the stick and puck, not moving the player itself.

Only game that got true movement with dual analog for me was, of course, Katamari Damacy. Everything else for me is like pulling teeth.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post

I'm not saying that dual-analog controls aren't a good innovation, because they are. I enjoy playing console FPS games now more than I ever did before dual-analog came along (Even though I prefer mouse & keyboard controls), and I couldn't imagine what FPS games would be like without them (Although GoldenEye's controls would probably have become the standard control method I guess?). I suppose a new gamer would find the controls very natural to use, as would anybody who has learnt to adapt, but it's just one of those things that i've never really been able to do...

what you need is one of these

i just got one, i used to be a relatively big pc gamer back in the early 2000's so i thought this would give me an edge over ps3 players on black ops, although it works far better than i had expected and can be customized to almost any in game preference or need, it will never match my control on a dualshock

i've been using a dual shock controller for over 10 years now, its like 2nd nature to me, every fps game i play, sensitivity has to be set to max or it feels like im playing in slow motion, but if your in the neighborhood for an alternative to dual analogs on consoles, seriously give that a shot, if you're even halfway decent with a mouse keyboard combo, this should be 2nd nature to u
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe, it just means you're getting old. You lose your coordination and have a harder time adapting to new things, happens to everybody, let me guess, you're over 40 now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by drmay View Post
    Hehe, it just means you're getting old. You lose your coordination and have a harder time adapting to new things, happens to everybody, let me guess, you're over 40 now?
    <Ahem> I'm not even 30 yet

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh boy, well no offense intended either way. Maybe you are prematurely becoming an old man? I'm almost 33.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

You....you play games?

How do you play them through the plastic seal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN