Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 - Keys for signed binaries found, custom firmware released

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 - Keys for signed binaries found, custom firmware released

I'm sure that everyone has heard the news. The actual cryptographic keys for signing PS3 software have been cracked, and a firmware modification has been released. This negates the dependency on the USB exploits and makes it so that anyone can install a patched firmware update that the console will recognize as authentic. Changing the keys is supposedly impossible, as it would render all existing software invalid.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/p...es-piracy-not/

However, there's really nothing to run at the moment. Packages need to be signed with the keys, and nobody has released signed binaries as of yet. I haven't installed the CFW on mine yet, but I am likely to when a build of DOSBox or something is available for 3.55.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've taken a wait and see approach ever since the jailbreak first showed up. Given my 60gig is still at 3.15, I've since resigned to the fact that I'm going to fairly soon be buying a slim for all PSN related activity. But that's been a constantly delayed plan due to the erratic nature of the hacking progress.

If there is a way to keep OtherOS (and perhaps gain region-free PS1/2) and still gain full access to PSN, then I'm listening. But we'll have to see how Sony handles things on their end first. Nobody is really talking much about how PSN access works in relation to CFW. Whether Sony will (or even can) detect it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on this. The custom firmware is pretty much useless to me though since I've got a slim. From what I understand, all this CF does is enable PS1/PS2 compatibility on BC systems. It's not compatible with any loaders either.

It's still early, so I know bigger and better CF's will be out soon. This is a great start though.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I have the latest firmware so if there's now custom firmware that's working then I'll have no problem downgrading in the future. I eventually want a full speed Wii emulator because there are games for it that I want to play. If that happens with Move support I'll downgrade and buy a Move. There was one video of a guy who got PSP games to work on the system. I also want to play PSP games updated to 1080p also.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There was one video of a guy who got PSP games to work on the system.
    You mean that video of the guy playing a Chinatown Wars iso on his PS3? I'm pretty sure that ended up being a hoax. It's probably going to be possible now though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only way Sony could combat this is by changing their security model to a whitelist model where only known software can be run on the latest firmware, which would basically require all PS3s to be connected to PSN in order to update the list and enable new games to run. That definitely won't happen.
    The PS3, PSP3000, and PSP Go are now in the same situation as the earlier PSPs as far as piracy and homebrew are concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony would have to release new hardware to combat this new hack,we have the PS3 master keys so you can sign anything to run just as Sony does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If this is going to become a constant cat and mouse with Sony banning compromised consoles from PSN and exploits getting around Sony's efforts, and so on and so forth it might not even be worth playing that game. I'll just get a Move bundle and be done with it. Use the slim as my PSN machine and the fat as my "lulz" machine.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Sony's already got court documents out:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/12/so...t-ps3-hackers/
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Sony is now fucked. I applaud the ps3 for out lasting the 3 consoles from the hackers.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's really hard to say where this could go. Really, it should be protected under the phone jailbreaking court results. Sony seems to be implying that he broke into a "protected system," but once you own that system it's hard to say you're not allowed to open it. Then again, the software is usually "licensed," not sold, so you could argue that you own the hardware but not the OS. Even then, you should be allowed to run alternative operating systems on hardware that you own.

Regardless of the outcome, this could be THE decisive gaming-related legal battle of the century.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Sony's already got court documents out:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/12/so...t-ps3-hackers/
    An expected but ultimately transparent delay tactic. Sony's actually playing this pretty smart. They're being quiet about it to not draw attention to the subject while at the same time trying to slow down the major players to buy themselves some time. They know offline they're sunk but they need time to figure out how to keep control of PSN because that's their ace.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    An expected but ultimately transparent delay tactic. Sony's actually playing this pretty smart. They're being quiet about it to not draw attention to the subject while at the same time trying to slow down the major players to buy themselves some time. They know offline they're sunk but they need time to figure out how to keep control of PSN because that's their ace.
    Given what's out there, I'd say whatever's on PSN currently is up for grabs. They might find a way to lock down future stuff. I dunno how, though...
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Given what's out there, I'd say whatever's on PSN currently is up for grabs. They might find a way to lock down future stuff. I dunno how, though...
    I understand that to lock down this you have to change the hardware ... it was a very low level discovery ....

I have friends actually running custom firmware with SNES emus .... the scene is acting really fast
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not so much about downloads on PSN but general PSN access. The best Sony can come out of this is the same way Microsoft did. You want to hack your console? Fine. But you will not be able to go online with it. That will be enough to deter a fairly large group from taking advantage of the exploits and would press people who do to buy a second console to keep stock.

But nobody knows if Sony has that kind of control over their service or if there is even an acceptable way to identify which consoles are compromised.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The easy fix for this is to implement a CD key system. All they would do is include a unique license key with each game that links to your PSN account. At boot, the games would be required to authenticate their key. An internet connection would be required to start any game published after the change.

Of course, that would ELMINATE used game sales and rentals, unless they established some kind of key transfer service. I wouldn't complain if they managed to keep it consumer-friendly. It's sad, but that's really the only direction they can go now.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have not modded mine (yet), but I'm eager to try out some of the signed homebrews. There's a small but growing list here:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/01/signed...#axzz1ArXr0vwC

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll wait for awhile until we're sure to be safe from being banned, etc. I'll be using the system for homebrew only so I'd rather not get banned for something I can do on my PC.

Make sure to post if any full speed Wii emulators compatible with Move are released. I'll finally start picking up the Wii games I'm interested in. Even better if it has online which you can play like if you were playing on the Wii., Nintendo's servers and everything.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-12-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the rumor goes that the PS3 sends garbage data including bug/crash reports and a list of last run games as soon as it boots. With that, Sony would supposedly have a log of what homebrew you've been running. I think I'll be waiting until there's some confirmation on that rumor before I think about risking a ban - Netflix is kind of a big deal for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sony has to be careful here. They don't want any compromised consoles getting on PSN. But if they can't do that completely they probably have two things they'd specifically target.

They don't want pirated games getting online and they don't want unauthorized software like cheat enablers screwing up the online experience for everybody else.

The dilemma? You don't want to make your service worse in the process of securing it. The more draconian their solution, the more likely they'll piss off legitimate users. People on NeoGAF are talking about how Sony could theoretically request certain information from the PS3 to determine it's status but the data transfer could make the sign in process a pain in the ass.