Thread: Open world tropical sandboxes- Panau or Venezuela?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Open world tropical sandboxes- Panau or Venezuela?

In other words, do you prefer Just Cause 2 or Mercenaries 2? To be fair, Mercenaries 2 came out in 2008 and Just Cause 2 in 2010, so I played Mercs 2 first. I thought it was pretty good when I first played it, but going back to it after Just Cause 2 just made me realize how much better Just Cause 2 is.

Controls in Mercs 2 are pretty awkward, and the world of Just Cause 2 obviously has more to do in it.

I'll give Mercs 2 two things, it had a kick-ass theme song and you could use nukes. And I kind of did like the option of stealing resources rather than blowing them up. Still, Just Cause 2 is just so much better.

Which do you prefer?
    Last edited by Tupin; 01-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Tropico 3
    I know its not the same type of sandbox game but I enjoy it more
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I've played both games pretty thoroughly. Beat them both and have spent 100+ hours between the two.

First off...Just Cause 2 is not only better than Mercenaries 2, it's the best open-world/sandbox game made to date (Of course GTA and RDR win in the story department). JC2 has the largest in-game sandbox, tons of things to do (and destroy), secrets and easter eggs around every corner, and probably the most diverse landscape in any game I've played. Snow, mountains, desert, oceans, rivers, plains, swamps, jungles, forests, urban areas, it's all there. So much fun.

Merc's 2 is good, not great. Definitely a disappointment considering how promising the original Mercenaries was. So many glitches and infuriating errors. Anyway...good luck playing it now. EA took down the co-op servers and in a hilarious side effect...the game locks up when you start it (it's trying to find the non-existent server). Even if you're just playing single player...you're shit out of luck. The only fix is to play it offline, completely signed out of XBL. It's been this way since August 2010.

EDIT: I forgot to add...playing Just Cause 2 will make you feel completly landlocked when playing any other open-world/sandbox game. The freedom that the grappling hook/parachute combo gives you is dearly missed in all other similar games.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 01-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)