I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Default PSP Help

So here is the deal - I know jack shit about PSPs. I bought one on the cheap and would like to know more about it. I know there are 1000, 3000, homebrews, etc and just want some clarification on what all the different models mean. I can take pictures if needed but I need a charger so I cannot turn it on. Anyone know what I can use in the meantime to charge it with?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Insert Coin (Level 0) Davedeadly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Darkwing26
    PSN
    Davedeadly29

you can use a usb cable and charge it through ur pc or ps3. i believe ur ps2 also but not entirely sure.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the world of PSP ownership! It's a great lil' handheld, perhaps the best ever.

First things first, the basic division of PSP hardware is between phat and slim. Phats are the 1000 models, are an altogether beefier breed of PSP and are the easiest to hack if that's your thing. 2000's and 3000's are of a more svelte design, the difference being that scanlines are fairly evident on 3000's but the screen is apparently less prone to ghosting or blur than the 2000's (I've never played a 3000, this is possibly faulty memory).

As Davedeadly mentioned, for charging you can use an appropriately-sized USB cable. Whether it's a USB wall charger, a PC, etc, it charges at a horrendously slow rate but works in a pinch. If your PSP doesn't autodetect that it's connected via USB, just navigate to the far left of the PSP menu and select 'USB Connection'.

You should have no trouble finding photos of the various PSP models to compare against the one you've obtained via awesome deal.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Any standard 5 volt charger should work(I think that's for all models but Go.) To find out what kind of PSP you have 1000, 2000, or 3000, look on the bottom of the PSP where there's the serial number label. Whatever number it says at the end is what you have.

Here's a PSP charger from DealExtreme. The only bad thing is it'll probably take a month or two to receive it. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9488

If it's a 1000 it the speaker holes are on the bottom of the PSP. The 2000 and 3000 have the speakers on the front on the left and right side of the screen which is a lot better. Supposedly the PSP 3000 has better color and better refresh rate but I can't verify that.

Whenever you turn it on and check what firmware you're on, search on psp-hacks.com forums on what firmware is downgradable. If you have a PSP3000 here's the 6.20 TN CFW.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2010/12/30/...ent-6-20-tn-b/
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

FYI, you can not charge a PSP 1000 via the top USB port.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Ah, that would be why it isn't working. 5V cord only?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If the PSP battery is dead (Which I presume his is since he says he can't turn it on), then it can't be charged via USB anyways.

On my 1000 and 3000, you have to navigate in the dashboard to the USB connection to enable it to connect via USB in the first place. And in the case of the 3000, which can be charged via USB, you have to be able to connect it first for it to happen.

Without enough power to be able to turn it on and enable the USB connection, you can't charge it via USB.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-08-2011 at 08:32 PM.