Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arcade Owners/Operators - Help!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is quite funny, some people think that paying the same amount they where 20 years ago is a good thing, its not a sustainable business model. Its also usually these same people that get all nostalgic and long for the arcades of old.

When I was running a store and arcade we would run the older machines at a cheap price, arcade racers at $2(aud) for 2 credits and al newer games at $1, maybe outside of USA people are willing to pay for inflation...
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Console section does about 10% of our business.
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer on this - I understand your price setup (I finally got smart enough to check your info/sig. and go to your site. You seem to run a gamer's dream, I'd love to be near your arcade.) My question is, how do you control/enforce/take money; I have never seen a public console setup. I'm guessing there's no way to automate it to trigger with a quarter or something, and when you're talking about pay-per-hour or per-diem, then it's certainly got nothing to do with a console mechanic...so is someone specifically in charge of all that? How do you prevent fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Here in Philadelphia there have been stores that have put a couple of cabinets in (There was a video game store that had 3rd Strike, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and a Neo-Geo cab) and the local comic book store has a Six-player X-Men cab, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Spiderman, The Punisher, and a small Jaleco cab (Contains Alien). They also used to have Moonwalker and the Sailor Moon beat-em-up. And I know that every time I'm in the neighborhood I've got to swing by. Perhaps this is a good business model as well, a more of a mix? Customers can come in and notice the machines, and the overhead would be much lower.
    Yes, you're thinking of Atomic City Comics on South Street. Great place, I'm friends with one of the dudes who works there, so I stop in just to say hi and play some Alpha 3 (I've played Konami's X-Men too many times for it to be worth it, even though it's the awesome 6-player setup). They also have Alien vs. Predator, which is a great beat-'em-up. If you look at the cabs that are off (usually The Punisher), they have a sign explaining that they can't have more than a few (three?) at once, due to noise regulation. This isn't really a problem for University Pinball, since that whole block is under the same ownership...as I hear it, anyway.

Random arcade cabs used to be all over the place - hell, I found a great-condition X-Men: Children of the Atom cabinet on an NJ Turnpike rest-stop...there's an arcade cab in almost every damn one, I tell ya'. The comic shop in Philly just has good taste and a good collection. Everything is somewhat-related to comics; Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a bit of a stretch, but it's the SF series at its most comic-like...you'll know what I mean if you've played it. Also, to owner/operators: why does it seem like the most common cabinet I see nowadays is the Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga 2-in-1? Is it that cheap? Kinda off-topic, I know.

Thanks so much for all the discussion, guys, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by onReload; 02-11-2011 at 03:30 AM.
    NES, SFC, SNES, NDS, PS2, GCN, PC, PS2
    and hopefully more acronyms to come

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    That's the problem, everywhere else in the world they run on dollar coins and people are used to it, here people expect 25 cents for arcade games still. It's just hilarious. Go to Japan, it's more than a $1.00. Game wasn't even RELEASED here, we have to import it, and people want to pay 50 cents? HUH?
    I wonder if it's psychological, in part. Putting in multiple coins for a game vs. a single one feels like more money, even though you know full well it isn't. If arcade machines were built to take in dollar coins (and if those things were actually used more often) I could see that being a viable alternative to the quarter. I imagine that was part of the reason why Gameworks uses the cards; a single card swipe for any machine would thus make you less likely to be concerned about how much the game costs.

Any thoughts on the trend I'm seeing of arcades charging an entrance fee and then having games on free-play or at reduced cost? I know Nickel City did that for years, but now I'm seeing other arcades o'er the land doing the same thing.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by kirbykirb View Post
    The Arcade business model is one that is doomed for extiniction.

This is because an arcade relies heavily on foot traffic; and most are in horrible locations due to lease costs. For example, a 1500 sq ft place in a busy area (e.g. by a main grocery store that draws in 200+ people an hour) can easily cost minimum $2500 a month, combine that with the bills, such as insurance ($150-$300 a month), electricity ($400 a month + depdening on draw, A/C, and efficency, def can go higher due to arcades mostly being old fashioned CRT's). This means there is atleast a monthly incuring cost of $3000, $36000 yearly. And this does not take in consideration the costs of the cabinets, service, maintaince and employees. You would need atleast yourself and perhaps one employee, at 40 hours a week at $8/hr that is $320 weekly. $1280 monthly, which draws on more expenses. Most arcade owners go the route of the cheaper lease; which always usually mean being in a worser location or having less square footage space which is death to an arcade. If no body knows your business exists; they won't go to you. And if even you are in a good location but can only pack 10 cabinets in a relaivley small space; people won't go because they are packed an it does not offer the expected enviorment.

And the main deciding factor the customer: the main arcade customer of the past was a teenager individual to young adult; that did not have access to the Internet (for Roms/piracy/onling gaming such as MMO's) and teenagers/Young adults that were not particulary wealthy, but always had $4-5 bucks that could last them an hour or two at the local arcade playing a multitude of games. Perhaps even longer.

This is different nowadays because of the increased availability of home gaming consoles and portable gaming which now even includes cell phones that are powerful enough to run emulators. A wii can be purchased brand new for less then $190 at walmart, and less then $150 used. And it allows games from all generations; even once arcade only games to be played.

This affects arcades because everyone knows and understands that arcades are a retail enviroment, which means at default you are paying a higher price then you should've. It also means the uniqueness of an arcade can not rely simply on the games they have but in the enviorment they are in. To many times I've seen arcades that offer generic enviorments powered by fleurscent lights or perhaps the ones that try to be edgy and offer darkout/black out enviorments with neon and more.

Nowadays, to even attempt to break even; arcade owners go with $1 gaming+. For example DDR arcade games are/can be purchased at less then $4000. This would mean, just to pay the price of the machine it would take 4000 minimum plays. If theres just 5 plays a day, that machine is only making $5 bucks, 5*7 is $35 weekly. $140 monthly, $1680 yearly if it's steady (it never is).

Revenue is simply not there anymore. Arcades are no logner designed to survive soley based on their own merits, but to be combined in high foot/customer walk in areas such as the back row of restarunts. Game stores, Dentists offices/waiting rooms and places which main souce of revenue is not based soley on the arcade cabinet but as a way to increase passive income over a set period off time.

And now, here will come the people that'd curse me with their anger saying I have no idea what I'm talking about because I simply disagree with them.
    first off before i get to what your saying

i wanna first say DreamTR how long has your arcade been around?
    i was in Nashville visiting a friend in early 09 and going to a heavy metal concert and we were in the need for some gaming fun and asked a local game stop and i could have sworn your arcades name popped up. but we ended up at a bowling ally with a massive arcade within it

alright to the quote

i agree with you to a extent
    what really is the problem with arcades and their survival these days is as easy as this

as you said emulation through roms on your computers is as easy as a google search away
    you can do this as well on your smart portable devices as well
    and most consoles now a days can emulate arcade classics and provide some of the newer arcade games as well

But i think a problem that exists just as big as that is people don't go out like they use to

I mean yea you seem to see people shopping just as much as they use to but i think its not as much as we use to see

take for a example japanese arcades do extremely well because theres one thing about tokyo japan we know about that is different then the american way of life

people in tokyo are always on the move. Thats why their apartments are about the size of your standard living room. cause 85% of their lives is on the go so theres no need to have a big apartment when you only spend 15% of your time at home anyways.
    That means going along with what you said heavy foot traffic cause the japanese are always on the go and all over hte place

in america its no where near like that anymore. With all these computers and such we prefer to be at home and do our shopping at home, talk to friends at home. do alot of our tasks at home.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I thought I explained the point I was getting at pretty well. But I get the sense you didn't even read what I wrote.

You seem to think everyone that goes into an arcade is planning on playing a set number of games (Say 5 games), so setting your prices high is absolutely necessary since they're just going to play 5 times and you have to get your money while you can.

But from my experience, many people enter an arcade planning to spend a set amount of money while there. Thus, you're going to get that money if the credits are 50 cents or 1 dollar. And the cheaper price while they're spending some amount like $5 is going to encourage return visits since they get more plays for their money and it keeps people there longer while they're spending their $5 which makes it more likely competitive spirit is going to kick in between two random people on something like a SFIV cabinet, which might make them go back to the token machine to exchange a few more dollars.

I was just suggesting that pricing isn't so clear cut and that there are other factors to consider to maximize profitability than raising the price as high as people are willing to accept. There's more to it than just adjusting your prices to reflect inflation rates.
    You're not getting it. New games not out on console do not follow this model. Whereas everything else we have is inexpensive, logically a game that costs $15,000 and you have 6 months to make your money before it comes out on console AND the fact we are the only place with the game within 7 states, 75 cents is MORE than fair for a game. If you "lower" the price to "encourage" play, you aren't realizing that the game is getting played no matter what. That is why if the game is played 6 hours on weekday and it makes $75 why would I lower it so it can make only $25 in the same amount of time? We don't get the investment back.

Granted people come in there to spend $5 on older games as a set price but with a new competitive fighting game that is definitely not even close to being the case and it never will be. The people that come to PLAY those games are not regulars. They BECOME regulars BECAUSE we are the only place with the game and people from out of town COME to play the game.

Can't take an inch and stretch it into a mile. We spend the money to get the game and expecting it to be lowered is ludicrous. I mean, there's a line to play the game. I LOSE money lowering it because it's going to be played no matter what. Again, small window to make that money back.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To answer the other questions:

Arcade has been open since Nov 2008. I still have games on route since Nov 2007 in a laundromat/billiard parlor.

Model of games going to free play depends on maximizing profitability and location. Some places I have seen going out of business because college kids won't pay $6 to go all day. Galloping Ghost has 200 games and charges $15 to play for free all day. I still prefer mall employees coming in and spending money on their lunch breaks and repeat customers that way but a lot of things depend on licensing, regulations, and type of business. Family LBE might be better with one price anyway.

About our console setup, we have a game store inside the place, so we just monitor the console section since we have to have someone there anyway. No big deal. $6 all day, $3 an hour...

Cherry (Level 1) The_Chosen_One's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Maybe if the change machines gave out dollar coins instead of quarters the mind would adjust easier
    I think this is probably THE reason people have a hard time adjusting to a dollar a play. I think it's perfectly logical to spend more on a game now as compared to 20 years ago, but the point is that you always used change or tokens. If the US actually got on a system where we all used $1 coins no one would even blink at spending that coin on 1 play. Spending 4 coins though....I know that sounds a bit odd but it's true. Same amount of money or not it's almost a psychological thing, dropping in 1 coin instead of 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will say as an arcade goer (and the fact that there are a few really amazing arcades here in Vegas), that the bigger the machine, the more I am willing to pay.

By that, I mean games that are more than a joystick and buttons (unless it is really new).

I am perfectly fine with dropping $1 on a newer game, because let's face it, it gives me motivation to get good at it and only sped $1 on it (that is how I got decent at CvS2 and Alpha 3).

Games like Top Skater, Alpine Runner (I think it is called that), Sega Rally 3, Initial D v4, After Burner Climax, I could keep naming them, but that is what I mean by bigger machines.

If I drop 25 cents into a machine, I am not expecting much except for a good time and something classic and that is about it (maybe some missile command or ms. pac-man or something), but even with some of the older fighters (GameWorks just recently got in Sonic Fighters) I am willing to go 50 to 75 cents (well for Sonic Fighters, but I am biased enough to be willing to make that purchase). If the game is almost like an experience, I am more than willing to drop more (I am still happy and comfortable dropping $1+ on Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Deluxe). Dancing games, well rhythm games in general (except for Guitar Hero Arcade, don't get me started on that game). If it is more of a "pull you into the experience" type game and less of a "here is a fun idea to get points that is strangely an addictive idea" then I am less inclined to pay as much. Most modern racing games I am just fine paying $1 because many of them do a great job of putting you in the driver's seat.

Ms. Pacman/Missile Command/other awesome classics, 50 cents is starting to push it.
    The newer stuff, oh man, the newer stuff is cool and I am more than happy paying $1+. The people that complain are cheap.

Also, when I was in Nebraska, their big arcade (Family Fun Center) had a massive area similar to what DreamTR talked about, and that is the console area. Sure, it doesn't make much money, but that console area in FFC is massive and pulls in a crap load of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And a decade later, it seems like the vast majority of surviving and thriving arcades have done just what I said and have gone to a flat fee that gives the player unlimited plays during their visit.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

not true.

all the ones within reasonable distance of me use quarter or tokens they are however in a bar and for 21+ crowds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It isn't just covid-19. Arcades have been in trouble for a long time. Note that there are no longer any arcades anywhere near where I live.

In my day arcades did not have to deal with the Internet- only a small percentage of people even owned computers, only a fraction had modems, and the Internet in any modern sense of the word did not exist. Games like "World of Tanks" or "Midnight Ghost Hunt" did not exist. Plus figure in Facebook, Youtube, etc...

There is also originality and technology. In my day arcade technology had a jump on home technology, which was advancing rapidly- but not as much as arcade technology. Even the ColecoVision and Atari 5200 could not match arcade games, not the best.

But today? Home consoles seem more like game rigs. For years home games have had technology so advanced it is no longer a case of arcades being really beyond it, and home technology ("World of Tanks") now has almost every advantage.

There is also the fact that we live in an ugly dystopia and more and more it is better to interact over the Internet. Arcades rely on people physically interacting, and thanks to rampant political correctness that is becoming too dangerous, plus the fact we live in a police state. September 11th 2001 and Covid-19 hammered the final nails in that coffin, in finem citius.
    Last edited by Aswald; 03-09-2023 at 06:33 PM.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/