Thread: odyssey 2 problem

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default odyssey 2 problem

Just got one and it doesn't work. When I turn it on all i get is a colored screen with some letters and numbers and a few little stickmen on it. And some times just a colored screen and sometimes the letters,#'s, and men in different spots. Any ideas?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's just how the O2 looks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ahahah omg Funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right.........
    Now does someone have anything useful to add ? >)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If cleaning everything doesn't help, and the A/C and power regulator voltages are OK, then it's a logic error & there's no real hints on fixing those. They're so cheap, just get a new one and keep that one for parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    If cleaning everything doesn't help, and the A/C and power regulator voltages are OK, then it's a logic error & there's no real hints on fixing those. They're so cheap, just get a new one and keep that one for parts.

Yea but I spent $20.00 on it with 8 games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm having the same problem, though I have two of them. What go is one for parts if you don't know what is causing the part in the first place. No one seems to know if there is anyplace to fix them either. Its becoming a pain.

I'll keep looking though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Men, when I bought my newest O2, testing in the seller's house, the machine presented only a grey/blue screen with a bunch of the standard O2 pre-programed characters, like the numbers, little stickmen, triangles, squares, etc.

The guy said the machine stayed too much time without energy charging, and the capacitors and inductors was discharged. I said to him: "Bullshit!", an then I started to look at the rest of products, and we left the O2 runnig that weird screen to "absorb" the fucking energy.

20 minutes then we changed the Spinout for Pick-Axe-Pete and I had to apologize!!! The non-sense energy-charging thing worked out......

Try out!!!!

Let the baby on for a while then try to play with him, after he has enough energy in its guts... when it "warms up"...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And if I recall you can use a NES AC adapter on the machine correct, because my Odd 2 one is junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jose.yoshitake
    Men, when I bought my newest O2, testing in the seller's house, the machine presented only a grey/blue screen with a bunch of the standard O2 pre-programed characters, like the numbers, little stickmen, triangles, squares, etc.

The guy said the machine stayed too much time without energy charging, and the capacitors and inductors was discharged. I said to him: "Bullshit!", an then I started to look at the rest of products, and we left the O2 runnig that weird screen to "absorb" the fucking energy.

20 minutes then we changed the Spinout for Pick-Axe-Pete and I had to apologize!!! The non-sense energy-charging thing worked out......

Try out!!!!

Let the baby on for a while then try to play with him, after he has enough energy in its guts... when it "warms up"...
    I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy said the machine stayed too much time without energy charging, and the capacitors and inductors was discharged. I said to him: "Bullshit!"
    Yes, and that explanation is just that. That cart was probably dirty. Either that, or some component works better when hot, was is unlikely too. The time it would take to charge any caps in a game console would be nearly instant, and most of the caps present are filter caps that don't need to charge (or don't charge at all) for their associated circuit to function anyway.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

I've noticed that if carts sit for too long, they tend to take a little bit of effort to get running again. My theory is that it's just low-level corrosion on the contacts, which is why I usually push in and pull out older carts a couple of times to "rough up" the connection. At least, this process seems to work OK on the Genesis and NES. I doubt the Odyssey2 is much different in that regard.

Of course, I could just be talking out of my ass here, too. That's happened on occasion...

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    The guy said the machine stayed too much time without energy charging, and the capacitors and inductors was discharged. I said to him: "Bullshit!"
    Yes, and that explanation is just that. That cart was probably dirty. Either that, or some component works better when hot, was is unlikely too. The time it would take to charge any caps in a game console would be nearly instant, and most of the caps present are filter caps that don't need to charge (or don't charge at all) for their associated circuit to function anyway.
    Actually, in my own experience, on Odyssey2 units and Bally Astrocades, I have also come across units that 'need' to warm up before they will play - so this is not complete 'bullshit'. I have one Bally in particular that always needs to be on for 20 minutes before it will work properly. It's a rare occurance, but a true fact in my case. Just my two cents worth...

In most cases on the O2 though, you need to clean the contacts really good, especially on the cart.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually this is a fairly common problem in electronics. And it's not that the caps need to recharge. When a unit takes a while to warm up it is usually from a cold solder joint or an IC,or transistor that is "cold". What happens is that after the part is warmed up it begins functioning properly. You have to use Component Cooler on the main board to find the offending part. After it is warmed up spray the coolent on one part at a time until you find the culprit.
    Well on that note, that isn't my problem so I guess I'll just have to find another O2.