Thread: Mega Man Legends 1 VERSUS Mega Man Legends 2

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Mega Man Legends 1 VERSUS Mega Man Legends 2

Now this is a series that is dear to my heart. Whether you've only played one or all three games (or the games where these characters cameo), the Mega Man Legends crew are all distinct and in many ways adorable/awesome.

But the question remains: do you prefer the first Mega Man Legends (PSX/N64/PC) game or the second one (PSX)? Of course there is the smallest camp which prefers The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PSX). Naturally the nature of this question will also change with the release of the announced but as yet unreleased third main entry. But this question focuses on which of the two main, original entries you prefer.

I personally prefer the original MML. Now all the games have their charm to be true. But for me, the second one took a quaint, small world full of charm and character only to balloon it up to an epic size with a bunch of dorky villains and way too much back-story. The first game was focused and compact, where you could know the entirety of the island if you seeked and sought. The second game had a much bigger budget and you could feel that. But at the same time, where the first game had one island with a huge underground, the second game had lots of islands with comparatively tiny areas to explore. When you add them up they are about the same exploration-wise, but with Kattelox Island being so expansive in the first game, all the islands in the second game feel dinky in scope. Plus while I appreciate the variety introduced to the NPCs in the second game, they felt so varied and distinct that each one felt disconnected from all the other people in the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Megaman Legends 1 has a special space to me as it was so different from the Megaman experience I grew up with yet it every bit as good. When comes time, it will receive a very special review from me.

The others are great too, but I dont have nearly the same fond memories.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I preferred the first one.

While 2 was not too bad, the original was more enjoyable; it had a charm to it that the 2nd lacked and the game's size was just right, plus I enjoyed having one gigantic underworld to explore instead of several smaller islands. in a way, MML2 was like Banjo-Tooie to me; it was bigger in every way, but lacked the same charm the original did.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I love the first game. Beaten it about atleast 20+ times. I haven't played the second more than a few times and have never beaten it. The first wins by default.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be biased and say MML1, since I've never played it's sequel/spin-off games.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Echoing the previous sentiment, Mega Man Legends 1 for me. While MML2 has the more refined gameplay of the 2, the character and charm of #1 can't be topped. The greater variety of locales is something I really enjoy about MML2 but I agree with earlier posts that the size and interconnectedness of Kattelox Island offers a more rewarding and enjoyable sense of exploration. Something I especially dig about these games is the graphical style, I'd say it does a better job of conveying an anime style in 3D than cell shading could. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne takes the personality of the series in an even quirkier and humourous direction but I find that the Servbot-training minigames border on repetitious and frustrating before long.