Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which GBA-SP versions had the bright screen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Which GBA-SP versions had the bright screen?

Pearl Pink
    Pearl Blue
    Graphite
    Spongebob

I know these four versions came with the far superior enhanced screen (version AGS-101) versus the older version of the SP (version AGS-001) but I was recently thrown for a loop when I saw what I thought was a pearl blue system but with the older screen. I thought ALL the pearl blue systems had the newer AGS-101 screen. I did not know the Spongebob version had the brighter screen until I saw one on ebay.

Which versions of the SP came with the brighter AGS-101 screen exclusively and which versions could be had with both?

I was not aware of the vast superiority of the newer AGS-101 screen until I gave mine away and bought another one (the NES version). I was shocked by the differance. The old screen has two light settings (off and on) while the newer screen has two setting that are BRIGHT and BRIGHTER. There is no off option. The regular bright setting on the AGS-101 is better than the brightest screen on the AGS-001.... the differance really is remarkable.

Anyone know?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I didn't know this. I'm actually shopping for one right now, but I'm looking for the classic NES style one specifically. From the sounds of it, it doesn't have the brighter screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I think there are a few other special releases in addition to the Spongebob one that have the brighter screen, like a Pokemon version or something. I'm not aware of any other frontlit colors. I think some European versions have different colors for the older screen though.

As for the different brightness settings. The older models used a reflective screen with a frontlight...either by LED(ON) or the sun(off). A special reflective coating on the back of the screen reflects the light back though the LCD so you can see it. The newer models don't have that coating because there's a backlight there instead and just changes the brightness of the LEDs. The backlights are much brighter and more uniformly distributes the light. I pretty much always use the lower setting on mine. The brighter setting seems too bright to me and drains the battery slightly faster.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I didn't know this. I'm actually shopping for one right now, but I'm looking for the classic NES style one specifically. From the sounds of it, it doesn't have the brighter screen.

If you have never used a GBA-SP with the old screen you would most likely be happy but the change from the old screen to the new screen is really quite extreme and I have been spoiled. I, too, never use the brighter setting on the newer GBA... it's a bit TOO bright. I've already purchased an AGS-101 and my classic NES GBA AGS-001 just sits around looking lonely.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't go by the color, only the model number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    If you have never used a GBA-SP with the old screen you would most likely be happy but the change from the old screen to the new screen is really quite extreme and I have been spoiled. I, too, never use the brighter setting on the newer GBA... it's a bit TOO bright. I've already purchased an AGS-101 and my classic NES GBA AGS-001 just sits around looking lonely.
    I had one of the blue ones and I sold it. I don't know if it was a 101 or 001. I bought it when they first came out. It seemed bright enough for me. Hopefully the GBA classic I end up with doesn't seem dim.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shellshock!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My question would be if it's possible to put a 101 screen in a first generation GBA. Now THAT would be the best GBA ever made.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I've read that some of the latest released 001 SPs actually got the new, brighter screen. Sounds crazy, and I can't verify that from personal experience, but I know I read about it, probably here on DP.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shellshock! View Post
    My question would be if it's possible to put a 101 screen in a first generation GBA. Now THAT would be the best GBA ever made.
    Last post in this thread indicates that it is possible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Oh good. Another chance for me to post my "OG SP vs. SP2" comparison picture. It's about 5-6 years old now...

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Yes, it comes in "graphite"...

I'll take my GBA SP any day over playing GBA games on a DS. The "brighter" screen isn't a bunch of hype...it's truly a huge improvement. I took this picture about 2 years ago...

Older silver GBA SP vs. graphite "new" GBA SP
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It does sound like the brighter model never got released in Japan.

But what about other parts of Asia? Nintendo brought out all three GBA forms as iQue brand, despite only localizing a handful of games.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Wow!

That's quite a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Indeed on image clarity. Except it lacks the original's backlight brightness. So it's harder for us with sensitive eyes to play at night...
    Lum fan.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by drmay View Post
    You can't go by the color, only the model number.
    Yes you can. The only Light Pink and Pearl Blue GBA-SP's made had the AGS-101 model. Graphite same thing, though it's often confused with the Dark Grey SP. Key is the buttons on the Graphite are black I believe. I feel the difference is pretty good.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This was discussed in brief at http://digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98204 . Appraently a Classic NES AGB-101 does exist.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always preferred the older screen as it had a warm, CRTish look to it. It feels more appropriate for low-res 2D games like GBA games typically are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    This was discussed in brief at http://digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98204 . Appraently a Classic NES AGB-101 does exist.
    That's good news. It just may take me a while to find one. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

omnedon is more than capable of modding a NES Classic GBA to have the improved screen, and I think that's what he was referring to in his post.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Ah, I see. So, is there a source to buy these screens? I'm more than capable of of changing the screen myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Yes you can. The only Light Pink and Pearl Blue GBA-SP's made had the AGS-101 model. Graphite same thing, though it's often confused with the Dark Grey SP. Key is the buttons on the Graphite are black I believe. I feel the difference is pretty good.

Is there a different light blue version of the old SP that looks a lot like the Pearl Blue version with the brighter screen? I have a nearly-new light blue SP AGS-001 with a somewhat more matte' finish but the color is most certainly the same as the Pearl Blue... I own both.

If it truly is a Pearl Blue version then it must be said that not all Pearl Blue versions came with the AGS-101 screen and by association that no AGS-101 version can be identified solely by color.