Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which GBA-SP versions had the bright screen?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big fan of the SP and prefer the back lit screen even thought the green colors do seem too strong on certain games.

Here's a few of mine with upgrades screens. Only one out of the bunch is front lit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	5859

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Oh I am glad to find this topic...

I have around 8 Gameboy SP systems (2 with dead batteries)

The Two Dark Grey Game Boy SPs are Identical...but one has a dull screen and one has a bright screen..

Like the below..

The other Dark Grey Game Boy SP I have has a dead battery but its screen is like shown on my silver SP..both Silver SPs I have,have this dull screen..

Sadly,this nice bright screen that I prefer on the system to the right,has an issue..if you notice there is a black straight line on the bottom of the screen that shows up in every game..

The Two Dark Grey Game Boy SPs are Identical...but one has a dull screen and one has a bright screen..

The one to the Right has a dead battery now but it has a dull screen...

Unfortunately it’s sticker spec info is missing..

Here’s the Bright lit specs..

One on the right has been modified. I'm pretty sure front lit version of dark grey is supposed to have light buttons.
    Is that really a Nintendo factory shell either? While hard to see in those pics, the molding looks off somehow. Compare their writing near the power and link ports.
    Lum fan.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    One on the right has been modified. I'm pretty sure front lit version of dark grey is supposed to have light buttons.
    Is that really a Nintendo factory shell either? While hard to see in those pics, the molding looks off somehow. Compare their writing near the power and link ports.
    It's stock, mine looks the same.

EDIT: Oops, mine is the backlit one. You might be right, but with them side-by-side it looks like it's more of a black than a dark grey, and not really the same color as the backlit version.
    Last edited by jperryss; 10-24-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flnettles View Post
    I sold my bright screen GBA SP several years ago and recently picked up the Classic NES Limited Edition. I was VERY disappointed with the dim screen. So, after a lot of
    looking, I found a bright replacemente screen on Ebay from a company in China. Very nice people to work with, and I installed it in my NES retro GBA SP. It looks
    GREAT! Here is the Ebay link to get this screen, the only place I found it, by the way. I wrote them first and verified that it is indeed the bright screen, and it should
    work in any Gameboy Advance SP, and runs $31.99, well worth it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-GBA...item4cf63eccf3

Wait, you're saying that you put a 101 screen in an 001 unit? That doesn't work. Are the screens that you're talking about specifically made to work with the 001 SP?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You can take the innards from a 101 and put them in a 001 shell I believe.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

101 & 001 shells are the same. I've seen the swap done. You just pop off both halves of the body and replace the guts. I've seen in person a modded NES model with the nicer screen of the 101 so I know it works. Some for some reason think it won't since the button is on off on one and not the other but the internal housing is the same fit just a differing function to the button is all.

As for the NES GBA Nintendo released only 250K of the unit and it was notably before the 101 popped up.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    As for the NES GBA Nintendo released only 250K of the unit and it was notably before the 101 popped up.
    It's available in both versions, right? I had one years ago and I'd swear it was an AGS101.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Wait, you're saying that you put a 101 screen in an 001 unit? That doesn't work. Are the screens that you're talking about specifically made to work with the 001 SP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Yes, you can swap the guts. In fact, swapping only the screen is quite easy. I've been trying to get a 101 for a reasonable price to swap my NES GBA over.

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    It's available in both versions, right? I had one years ago and I'd swear it was an AGS101.
    Nope. All the NES GBAs were 001s.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can also put a backlit AGS-101 screen in a regular GBA now.

I put one in a Target Edition Red GBA. It's pretty sweet

Here's a pic of the mod done by a Modretro Member :

Quote Originally Posted by plc268
    I finally got my cable and screen from that seller on taobao. I don't think the screen itself is an official GBA SP backlit screen, but rather a cheap reproduction. Why? It has a terribly low refresh rate (ghosting) and I can practically see the lines scanning. But, I've never seen an ags-101 before, so I have no reference anyway. Regardless, I may try to source an ags-101 anyway, and try that out.

Anyway, as far I can tell, the (40-pin) cable is just merely an extension for the LCD with an added wire to power the backlight. The reason for this, for those that don't know, is that the standard gba screen, the cable is on the top, and for the GBA SP screen the cable originates out of the bottom of the screen.

(I tried to get as clear of a picture as possible, but my only camera is my iphone)

Installation was fairly straightforward after following the pdf install guide. I translated it via google translate, but to be honest, the pictures did a pretty good job anyway. This mod will require you to shave away some plastic from the inside of the front faceplate. I just used a dremel, but I'm sure a hobby knife would work just fine.

Me testing the screen:

And all put together:

I'm satisfied with how it looks and works, but as I said, perhaps I'll cannibalize an ags-101 in the future.

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that's awesome! Any idea if that adapter cable is available separately? I have a backlit GBA SP which was chewed on by a dog but the screen managed to survive.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    You can also put a backlit AGS-101 screen in a regular GBA now.

I put one in a Target Edition Red GBA. It's pretty sweet

Here's a pic of the mod done by a Modretro Member :
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can buy the cables separately. There are different cables depending on if you have a 32 or 40 pin version and depending on the screen you have in the SP.

You have to use a Buy from Taobao service and it takes a few weeks to get it in.

Here is the site:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14045909056

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It seemed like he meant that he bought a 101 screen and attached it to an 001 board. That's what I was questioning. The shells are 100% identical, and I knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Nope. All the NES GBAs were 001s.
    There were some 101s. I've seen at least one that I KNOW isn't a swap.

Quote Originally Posted by theredlineboss View Post
    Wow, that's awesome! Any idea if that adapter cable is available separately? I have a backlit GBA SP which was chewed on by a dog but the screen managed to survive.

-Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    You can buy the cables separately. There are different cables depending on if you have a 32 or 40 pin version and depending on the screen you have in the SP.

You have to use a Buy from Taobao service and it takes a few weeks to get it in.

Here is the site:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14045909056
    I'm actually acting as the sole US distributor for these kits at the moment. In fact, I'm packing them up right now and they'll be up for sale in the next few days. The benefits of buying from me are:

- Detailed, easy to read English instructions
    - Domestic shipping prices
    - Included 2-way brightness switch (just like the SP 101)
    - Warranty on parts
    - Nearly the same price and in a nice, retail package

The guy that makes the adapter harness is a great fellow and we've been working for the last couple of months to get this all sorted out. It's proving itself to be a win, win, win situation. Win for him, win for me, and win for you, the customer

Keep an eye on my blog (link in sig) if you're interested or just shoot me a pm.

edit: as an FYI, neither the OEM or aftermarket screens work as well as they do I the SP when placed I to the old GBA. I've modded about 4 or 5 now and it's impossible to tell the difference between the different screens. The old GBA clearly wasn't meant for the backlit screen, so it's never going to be exactly like an SP. The modded units are also a tad dimmer than the SP. Still, I've been playing my GBA games on it exclusively. I prefer it over the Micro, SP, DS, or the DS lite for GBA gaming
    Last edited by wiggyx; 11-01-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Pikachu GBA SP exists in 001 and 101 also.

Original Japan version was 001, available at Pokemon Center.
    Later USA version was 101, available at Toys R Us.
    Lum fan.