Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3DS is it worth it?

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DS is it worth it?

I have the DS and happy with it and it's ability to play European and US games. It launches March 27th but there's nothing out for it yet IE a major title to sell me on it
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I'll gladly wait.

I hope there will be an XL version, because I already got used to the awesome DSi XL screens.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

$250 for a handheld with $50 games? No thanks.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i will wait for a great game unique to the system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'll be getting mine at launch (it kinds helps it hits the same week as my birthday- extra spare disposable income) largely as I'm betting that supplies will be dry on much the same level as the Wii's first year of existence, and there will be killer apps by autumn. The launch line-up does admittedly look a little weak, then again, what sixth-gen and after console's launch hasn't? All I can think of is Halo on original Xbox and Zelda on Wii... neither of which I particularly went crazy over, especially Zelda which was better on the GCN anyway.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I think the launch lineup doesn't look too bad, actually. I'm curious about Kid Icarus. There are version elements of the gameplay which make Kid Icarus special and fun, but the screenshots I've seen make it look like a God of War clone. If thats what it ends up being, that would be a real travesty.

Still, starfox 64 and a new pilotwings could be cool...as long as it's not a retread of Pilotwings 64. That game was an abortion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really want it but damn it probably isn't worth it yet.

Half the features won't be available at launch, the price is contentious at best, the line up of games isn't great and I know that a much better 3DS Lite will hit stores in a year or so. Also neither the colours appeal.

If you can find a great pre-order deal then maybe but otherwise I'd say hold-off. Longer you do, the cheaper everything will be. At least game-wise.

That and there's still a good few number of games I want for the DS, including Pokemon Black/White which is released the same month.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I have to say that I will have one when it is released..can't wait..time for some new graphics in a nintendo handheld..the ds looks so outdated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I have to say that I will have one when it is released..can't wait..time for some new graphics in a nintendo handheld..the ds looks so outdated
    To be fair the DS graphics were outdated when it came out when placed side-by-side with the PSP... didn't stop it outselling the PSP by over 2-1 and launching a serious assault on the PS2's 'biggest selling console ever' record. PSP2 will almost certainly trump the 3DS graphics-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I am going to pick one up at launch. I have purchased a DS since the orginal one. I'm looking to play Zelda for the 3rd time and Kid Icarus and Street Fighter seem cool. So the games are supposed to cost as much a wii games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It probably isn't worth it yet. There isn't really a killer app, or it hasn't been noticed yet, coming out in the launch window. Sure, launch titles usually suck but Nintendo usually has one title that is of good or great coverage. This time they have Nintendogs + Cats.

I'll still be getting it though because I am a sucker for Nintendo products and being an early adopter. I'm hoping MGS3 ends up being released before June since a March 2011 release was announced a while ago. Mainly because I preordered it from Amazon months ago when they were selling it for $35.

Some people are thinking a 3DS Model 2 will be out in a year, but they seem to have gotten their dates off of Nintendo's usual hardware revision. The GBA SP came out approximately 21 months after the original GBA and the DS Lite was released about 19 months after the original DS. If you can wait about two years then go ahead and wait. I for one find 2 years a pretty long time to wait to get a console, especially if better titles come out after June.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm definitely interested in getting one, but I doubt I'll get it at launch. The new Paper Mario game may force me to buy one though.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

$50 games? Fuck that. This is primarily why my PSP collection has always been small. That's too much for a portable software title.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll get one but it won't be for awhile. I'm interested in Mega Man Legends 3, but that's about it. Nearly everything it has that has been announced is either a port or a remake other than a few. Some of them are nothing more than 3D enhanced DS games. Let's not forget the three to five hour battery life. Being Nintendo you still see the obvious fanboy praise.

The PSP had a lot of ports and multiconsole titles with a 4-6 hour battery life yet you see most people still praising Nintendo when the PSP was being bashed from day one. Looks like most Nintendo fanboys are hypocrites. Though I will admit that the PSP launch sucked aside from a whole two games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'll get one but it won't be for awhile. I'm interested in Mega Man Legends 3, but that's about it. Nearly everything it has that has been announced is either a port or a remake other than a few. Some of them are nothing more than 3D enhanced DS games. Let's not forget the three to five hour battery life. Being Nintendo you still see the obvious fanboy praise.

The PSP had a lot of ports and multiconsole titles with a 4-6 hour battery life yet you see most people still praising Nintendo when the PSP was being bashed from day one. Looks like most Nintendo fanboys are hypocrites. Though I will admit that the PSP launch sucked aside from a whole two games.
    The PSP is a great system, but this one looks to be great as well. 3-5 hours of battery life is plenty for most gamers, especially on a system that can strain your eyes. I know I don't play portable games for more than an hour or two at a time. Yes, the launch lineup looks weak, but there will be some great games coming out between launch and the holidays. Heck, I don't think a single launch game has impressed me since Halo on the original Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me it's definitely not worth it. It's launching for a console price and the games may also cost as much as console games. Add to that the fact that none of the launch titles interest me and you have a definite "pass" on my part. It's still going to sell out instantly, be immediately sold on ebay for around $500(or more) and be extremely hard to find for the first 6 months or so. But I still won't be getting it until a price drop and revision both happen, so I'll be out of the loop for atleast two years.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I gots ta see one first before I lay down the cash for one. I was so jazzed when Kid Icarus was shown but I was zapped by hype before. I drank the Kool-Aid when the Wii was announced and I still feel the burn in my throat from years of wasted potential after purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    $50 games? Fuck that. This is primarily why my PSP collection has always been small. That's too much for a portable software title.

Yeah, I pretty much have to agree with this. $50? Really? Man.... what the hell are they thinking? I find it hard to pay $29.99 or more for a PS3 or 360 game, much less a portable game. Of course, I must admit that I'm not the type that is really into portables. I've got a PSP that I almost never play, and my kids have DS's that I've played a bit, but I'm just not that into portables.

I am kinda interested in PSP2 however. I just want to see if Sony can finally nail it down with dual analog sticks, etc, etc. I'm definitely interested in seeing that thing in action, but I'm guessing I won't be buying either system. Too expensive. Get down to $199.99 with an amazing pack-in game, and then I can consider it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Beside it's price being $249.99 i'll pass for now at least.Also,i'm not excited over it's launch titles any game i am interested in won't be out untile later in the year.Not to mention i just picked up a (psp 3000) recently so that's enough for me on buying any more gaming devices.I'll probably wait untile a year passes befor i do get a 3DS.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Well, I had a bunch of Best Buy reward bucks from the Christmas holidays, so I ended up pre-ordering a black one. It only cost me $70. If I had to pay full price I probably wouldn't have done it.

Hey, I realize what I'm getting into here. This probably isn't going to be that amazing (and I'm gonna feel the hit in screen size because I'm using a DsiXL right now...) but at least some of the games launching with it have some depth.

I don't have an N64 or a Wii anymore, so the option to play Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 again...at work and in 3D...is pretty appealing.

I bought the original DS at launch and had a great time with WarioWare Touched and Mr. Driller, so this'll at least be on par with that.