Thread: Bought Terranigma, I have a few questions

Insert Coin (Level 0) cool_boy_mew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bought Terranigma, I have a few questions

I thought I'd have a much quicker and better answer than on Gamefaqs

Well, the games is obviously not working in my NA Snes, but I was at least expecting a lock-out screen, when I boot the game it's like the TV is receiving no signal, instead of the screen going black, it stays blue, but I guess it's normal? Either the lock-out chip makes the game refuse to boot or it doesn't show the lock-out screen because the 60hz mode isn't compatible with my TV (Or my composite switch box?).

So, after doing the 50/60hz switch mod everything should work perfectly?

Also, while browsing I've heard that Terranigma has "2 extra chip", I'm not sure, they mean the lock-out chip and whatever add-on chip there's inside the cart or that the cart has those two "extra connectors" on the bottom, mine only had the middle one. I tried googling and I can't find any pic.

Thanks for the answers in advance, I just bought this for 95$ so I'm a bit nervous about paying that much for something that won't work right away, that's why there's some weird questions.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm assuming you got the English PAL copy of Terranigma. Besides the 50/60hz mod you also need to do a region mod I believe. PAL SNES games check for both the region and 50hz as part of the lockout. It would probably be more convenient to find one of those import cart adapters that allow PAL games to run on an NTSC system. Hopefully somebody else will chime in with better info than I've given you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those converter carts, those that works with Terranigma are not only rare, but terribly expensive. So unless someone here is willing to part with it at a decent price, I'm not using those

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Terranigma is one of the hardest games to get working on a US SNES, even with the correct adapter, I believe only the action replay mk2 is the only one that will work. User b1aCkDeA7h has one for sale that I was going to purchase (at a VERY fair price as well!) but it seems like you could use it more....def pick it up his is the cheapest around, I believe he was asking 55.00 and he includes a copy of starwing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obtaining a Pro Action Replay MK3 (Later MK2 versions of the MK2 bios will let you play Terranigma too. Earlier MK2 versions will run the game, but there are problems with saving your progress.) is your best bet. Placing a cart in the back will allow you to play Terranigma on any region SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, 55$? I'll definitively contact him, thanks Parodius Duh!, I'll see what bios version he has

And which specific BIOS version of the MK2 would I need to save my progress without any problems? (and what are these problems?) And with this, nothing else will be needed and the game will run perfectly (And not with the 20% european slowdown)?

Thanks guys for the answers

EDIT: Just to be sure, those Action Replay cart are European, but they should work in a US Snes right?

I've been a huge fan of Quintet ever since I've played Illusion of Gaia 5-6 years ago, so I'm pretty hyped to play this. Once again, thanks for all the answers!
    Last edited by cool_boy_mew; 01-21-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No speed issues should be present when running a PAL game on an NTSC SNES console.

My PAR MK3 works flawless on all of my US NTSC SNES consoles with some descrepencies with getting codes to work on the Super Game Boy and Star Fox (RAM based codes don't work, but ROM ones do on these games). PARs were even made for corss-region compatability judging by how they fit into the colsoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, b1aCkDeA7h has 1.1, which has the saving problem.

I'm not sure what I should do. I keep hearing everywhere that the 50/60hz mod should do it, I'll try to look for more info

Edit: Actually found some at decent prize on Ebay, I'm waiting for the answers about the firmware versions. Also if anyone else here have one that they're willing to part with, well, I'm buying!
    Last edited by cool_boy_mew; 01-22-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely look into the region/hz mod. It makes things waaaay easier and definitely looks better than stacking all of that crap into your system. This game is the reason I bought a modded SNES and it is very much worth it. You should contact Rai on these forums; I believe that he can mod your system and for a good price.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cool_boy_mew View Post
    EDIT: Just to be sure, those Action Replay cart are European, but they should work in a US Snes right?

yup, they will work just fine, they have no region lock out whatsoever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody knows where exactly to check the versions? I heard at the boot-up screen, but as usual Ebay seller has no freaking idea

Just like last time for Dragon Warrior 3 when I asked if the battery still worked I got this
    "hi,this game cartrige is for the original nintendo game and i dont know what you mean battery its a game cartrige you put into the nintendo and it plays the game on the tv"
    ... Let's sell something rare I don't know anything about!
    Last edited by cool_boy_mew; 01-22-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I own Terranigma, and while I live in the UK, I have a US SNES. Been importing for it since the unit came out in 1991. In fact I only own one other PAL title (Castlevania IV) and I kept it because it was a competition prize from the live Gamesmaster event (go look that TV show up if you're unfamiliar with it).

I also own an Action Replay cartridge (the first one that came out for the SNES) and I wasn't able to get Terranigma running on my US SNES using that. Comes up with the "this pak is not designed for your Super Famicom or Super Nintendo system" message, so I guess it really does need that 50Hz system. The previous advice given so far in this thread regarding trying to get it to work in the US probably holds true; you will need a v3 Action Replay.

Btw my copy is the pure English copy; the game, manual and game are English only. Should there be something else in the box as well, besides the cart and manual? A map perhaps? It's just how it was sold to me, for a fairly cheap price actually...

Quote Originally Posted by nensondubois View Post
    No speed issues should be present when running a PAL game on an NTSC SNES console.
    Unless the game has been PAL optimised, then it runs hyper quick. Like Super Tennis. I've played the PAL version on my US SNES and it was like you needed reaction speeds of a Jedi to play it properly. Very entertaining and funny though :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Btw my copy is the pure English copy; the game, manual and game are English only. Should there be something else in the box as well, besides the cart and manual? A map perhaps? It's just how it was sold to me, for a fairly cheap price actually...
    No, there's no map. There's just the warning pamphlet and one of those advertisement thingies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cool_boy_mew View Post
    Anybody knows where exactly to check the versions? I heard at the boot-up screen, but as usual Ebay seller has no freaking idea

Just like last time for Dragon Warrior 3 when I asked if the battery still worked I got this
    "hi,this game cartrige is for the original nintendo game and i dont know what you mean battery its a game cartrige you put into the nintendo and it plays the game on the tv"
    ... Let's sell something rare I don't know anything about!
    Just hold down the A button right before the Pro Action Replay main menu appears and you should get the ROM date, version number and the credits for the unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just hold down the A button right before the Pro Action Replay main menu appears and you should get the ROM date, version number and the credits for the unit.
    Thanks, contacted all Ebay sellers with the info, I hope I'll find what I want

I don't think Terranigma is pal optimized since everyone everywhere recommend the mod or those carts to play

EDIT: Urrg, only one seller found the BIOS number and it's 3.0 .... so I guess it's no good?
    Last edited by cool_boy_mew; 01-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have, or have had, every BIOS version of the PAR2 and 3 for the SNES including some other adapters. Well, there is I think a 2.J version too but I opted not to bother getting one. Anyway, I know what works and what doesn't with Terranigma. I'd rather use a PAR than a modded SNES since its so easy, but I guess there is nothing wrong with modding your system. I have a few PARs for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trollrx View Post
    I have, or have had, every BIOS version of the PAR2 and 3 for the SNES including some other adapters. Well, there is I think a 2.J version too but I opted not to bother getting one. Anyway, I know what works and what doesn't with Terranigma. I'd rather use a PAR than a modded SNES since its so easy, but I guess there is nothing wrong with modding your system. I have a few PARs for sale if anyone is interested.
    Do any of them allow you to use RAM codes with the Super Game Boy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So let me ask just to be sure since it's a $300.00 game and i'm thinking of buying a copy. In order to play it with no problems i would need a MK3 or need to mod my U.S. snes?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PAR MK2 works if the BIOS is 2.P or 2.T The BIOS version number is displayed on the title screen at bootup.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Do any of them allow you to use RAM codes with the Super Game Boy?
    I'm not sure if that would matter.
    Isn't the GB RAM separate from the SNES?

I know a SNES Game Genie, even if you don't use any codes, will cause the GB to run super-slow and without sound.