Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sony NGP (PSP 2)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hey Oobgarm, for an easier way to search in the future, can you change the topic to say PSP2 instead of PSP 2. I know you can search through Google(which I forgot how to again) but this way it has the four letter requirement.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

im already sold on it...got to have any system that comes out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If this thing is gonna have all of the features Sony says it's going to have, it's not going to be a cheap system, and people will just have to accept that for the time being. The same goes for the games, they're going to be anywhere from $40-50 I'm sure. Another thing people forget is, you're always going to pay a premium for portability, it costs a lot of money to cram all of that technology into something that fits in your hand. I hope, like most other people though that Sony has learned their lesson from the PS3 and prices this thing so that it's both fair to consumers and they're not going to be taking a huge loss on each system, if such a thing is even possible?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamestop is taking preorders. $50 down. They are guessing $299.99 for a price. Also they have a January 12, 2012 release date noted, though that seems unlikely to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Gamestop is taking preorders. $50 down. They are guessing $299.99 for a price. Also they have a January 12, 2012 release date noted, though that seems unlikely to me.
    I might go to Gamestop and put $299 down on it. Doesn't Gamestop have a preorder price guarantee as long as you pay full price on it? $299 is something I'd pay, but if it's in their error they can't really do anything about it because that was the price they advertised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I might go to Gamestop and put $299 down on it. Doesn't Gamestop have a preorder price guarantee as long as you pay full price on it? $299 is something I'd pay, but if it's in their error they can't really do anything about it because that was the price they advertised.
    Im pretty sure only Amazon has that guarantee. Back OT, does anyone feel that it is outrageous that entry in this upcoming handheld gen will be (most likely including taxes) $300 to $400. Getting into DS(console+game) was <$190 now 3DS will be >$310. I think both companies are pricing themselves out of the market here.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    Im pretty sure only Amazon has that guarantee. Back OT, does anyone feel that it is outrageous that entry in this upcoming handheld gen will be (most likely including taxes) $300 to $400. Getting into DS(console+game) was <$190 now 3DS will be >$310. I think both companies are pricing themselves out of the market here.
    Actually, even Amazon doesn't have that guarantee. They only guarantee that if the price goes down between the time when you preorder and the end of the release day, they will give you the lower price or refund the difference if you already were charged on release day. Having said that, Amazon generally honors price mistakes on pre-orders, but Gamestop absolutely will not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

*Waits for preorder*

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as the PSP code signing issue, I can't see it being an issue. The NGP will certainly use a different signing algorithm, and content will be signed specifically for the NGP when you download it from PSN. Your purchased games will be on record with your PSN account, so you'll just redownload them on the new unit.

As far as system power, I highly doubt that it will be on par with the PS3. Yes, it can handle the same resources, but at half the resolution. Keep in mind that the PS3's RSX GPU is based on the GeForce 7800. The GPU they picked for this is going to be fine for a 900x500ish screen, and maybe even upscaling to 1280x720 for TV output, but don't expect it to play the demos they've shown at 1080p with playable framerates. Also keep in mind that the CPU on the NGP is a quad-core mobile chip from ARM, not the 9-core Cell from IBM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    Back OT, does anyone feel that it is outrageous that entry in this upcoming handheld gen will be (most likely including taxes) $300 to $400. Getting into DS(console+game) was <$190 now 3DS will be >$310. I think both companies are pricing themselves out of the market here.
    Despite how much Nintendo and Sony love to talk about how Apple isn't their competitor, they are still getting some of their ideas from their execution of competing products. The ipod was expensive when it first came out but still sold extremely well. And the same can be said for the ipad: high entry price with lots of features and it still sold well. So while it's not the whole part of their plans, I'm sure both Sony and Nintendo factored that in. Plus the tech for the 3DS and NGP cost sufficiently more than that of their predessesors, especially the NGP.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Despite how much Nintendo and Sony love to talk about how Apple isn't their competitor...
    What?

I was going to put down a preorder on a 3DS, but now I think I'm going to wait until at least the release of Mega Man Legends 3. I don't think we've brought it up here yet, but the "PlayStation Suite" program has me interested. If they're lowering the bar of entry for developers, I'd certainly like to give it a try. Nintendo has gone on record to say that development costs will be higher for 3DS, so I don't see it being very indie-friendly at first.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DS units were $150 at launch in 2004 (looked it up, corrected) Well...

The purchasing power of $150 in 2004 (aggregated) is equivalent to the purchasing power of $173 in 2010 (aggregated). Rate of change: 15.4%. That's not factoring in a whole quarter of 2011 and also considering government book cooking and the revamped calculation of the CPI index (used to derive the above) in 2009 (which excludes much of nearly anything except imported clothing) and further ignoring the mad Fed print house projects of quantitative easing, it's sequel QE2 and it's near coming QE3 to make it a trilogy. In terms of 2011 purchasing power, the DS in 2004 could feasibly have a temporally adjusted cost parity with the 2011 launch of the 3DS or if you are ultra pessimistic, the NGP by the end of this year.

Imagine juggling all this, while trying to figure out a MSRP while mediating with the psychological cost expectation of most people (in historical terms for a similar device with the rationale that "a dollar in 1989 is still a dollar in 2011") and to somehow manage to turn a profit. Enough to make you want to forget the whole mess, really.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-02-2011 at 08:15 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    What indeed.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Uncharted has since already confirmed a launch title. Wipeout 2048 is probably going to be a launch release.

Wipeout 2048 is going to have everything from Wipeout and Wipeout HD Fury along with 10 extra tracks and 20 different vehicle variants. It can play with up to eight NGP and PS3 players online, so more than likely the PS3 version will also get these extra tracks in a new DLC. Wipeout also has glory moment, kind of lame, but the best thing I can think of when you is to moon your opponents. Flipping them off is too generic of an insult. Then again, I wouldn't do either but it would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9tWVBUJ-A

Anyways. Since E3 2011 is coming soon thought I might bump this.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-04-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The PSP2 looks amazing as far as I'm concerned. Too bad I won't be getting one anytime soon. I'll be waiting till $199 or less, and that's going to be a long wait, so no use in even concerning myself with this thing.

I really shouldn't even buy the thing at $199, because I just never play handhelds. Only time I ever use handhelds is when I'm on vacation. I don't vacation often enough to make it worth it.