Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One thing that sucks about renting games....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default One thing that sucks about renting games....

On the one hand, renting games makes a lot of sense financially. You get to try all the newest releases, and you don't have to fork over $59.99 plus tax to try them. There is a really huge downside to it though. One thing that I hate about renting, is that I get this weird feeling that I can't play any other game than the game I'm renting.

It's like.. I feel like I have to play the game that I'm renting, otherwise I'm wasting my money. So, my backlog of shame just sits there and stares at me, while I play a rented game that I'm not very likely to get very far into before I return it and get something else. And why do I have to get something else? Because I'm paying money to a monthly rental deal, and I have this need to feel like I'm making the most of it by trying a different game a week. It's a vicious cycle. Anybody else have this happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've yet to start my trial gamefly account but when I do you better believe that the two games I get each week will be the main games I play that week. So after those 30 days are up I will have focused most of my attention on the 8 games I played in pairs every one of those 4 weeks.....if that makes any sense.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

People still rent? I thought that became obsolete with the rise of the internet and ease of piracy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    People still rent? I thought that became obsolete with the rise of the internet and ease of piracy.
    Piracy is a whole nuther problem entirely. Piracy is actually even worse then renting, because with Piracy, it's like you have a GameFly warehouse in your living room, and having just about every game at your fingertips means that you will dip your toes into TONS of swimming pools, but you won't get deep into anything. It's a shallow existence. Everytime you sit down to play, you wonder which game should I try this time? It's a greay way to game if you want to see the first 3 hours of every half-way decent game that comes along.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    On the one hand, renting games makes a lot of sense financially. You get to try all the newest releases, and you don't have to fork over $59.99 plus tax to try them. There is a really huge downside to it though. One thing that I hate about renting, is that I get this weird feeling that I can't play any other game than the game I'm renting.

It's like.. I feel like I have to play the game that I'm renting, otherwise I'm wasting my money. So, my backlog of shame just sits there and stares at me, while I play a rented game that I'm not very likely to get very far into before I return it and get something else. And why do I have to get something else? Because I'm paying money to a monthly rental deal, and I have this need to feel like I'm making the most of it by trying a different game a week. It's a vicious cycle. Anybody else have this happen?
    I do the same thing. I'm focused on that game, and nothing else. I feel like I have to get my 8 dollars worth lol. I last did this with Red Dead Redemption...didn't beat it, but played the hell out of it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, when my bro and I discovered "rental games", every weekend was a barrel of fun and a discovery in lots of interesting obscure games. Whether we beat the game or not, didn't matter (though we sure as hell tried). Playing and enjoying the game is what matters but if you're forcing yourself just for sake of squeezing every penny's worth and feeling bad about it in the end, maybe it's time to rethink and find a fresh, healthier new perspective.

Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

A few years ago, I had rented Dino Crisis for PSone at Video Avenue. It was a three day rental (rent Saturday, return Monday), and I spent those three days laying like mad.

Unfortunately, I forced myself to finish the game, and I did on the last day, at around 1am in the morning.

The outcome? Although I was happy that I finished the game, I ended up hating it as well. I purchased it a short time later...and it has sit in my collection gathering dust all this time.

My suggestion is not to force yourself to finish a title, just to enjoy it. If you don't finish it, but you liked it, then it's great to get it and continue.

Ah, it was great renting SMS games back in the day. Too bad such stores no longer exist and/or are no longer economically feasible.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always felt the same way. Even if the game I rented made me want to play another game, I always forced myself to play the game I rented. This was occasionally a hard task when my brothers and I would rent separate games and each have to work out who played what first.

Of course I haven't rented a game since November 2006 and that game I rented was Call of Duty 3 for the Wii. And yes, I did make sure I played that exclusively until the rental period was up.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been waiting forever to use my trial month of Gamefly but many of the games I wanted to play kept getting pushed back. But next month Crysis 2 and Fear 3 should both be out and then theres several other games from last year that released during the holidays that I want to play. So March is going to be rental month for me.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've got both LittleBigPlanet 2 and God of War III from Gamefly, and I've not touched them yet. I really want to play them both, but I always find myself going back to a small handful of my backlog.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have yet to try gamefly but if its anything like my netflix account... Yikes, i find my self with 2 movies and feel so obligated to watch them right away to try to get more movies, so i can maximize my monthly fee. I find myself sometimes not enjoying them as i should. I cant imagine video games, some games are easy 15 to 20 hours. I couldnt see myself rushing through a game and not enjoying the game for what its worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Piracy is actually even worse then renting, because with Piracy, it's like you have a GameFly warehouse in your living room, and having just about every game at your fingertips means that you will dip your toes into TONS of swimming pools, but you won't get deep into anything. It's a shallow existence. Everytime you sit down to play, you wonder which game should I try this time? It's a greay way to game if you want to see the first 3 hours of every half-way decent game that comes along.
    Excellent point. I knew people who had Netflix accounts and every time a new DVD arrived in the mail, they copied it and added it to their DVD library.

Them: "Check this out, I have 200 DVDs sitting on my shelf!"

Me: "Wow, you've seen all of these movies?"

Them: "No, but they're here if I ever want to."

Four years later, 99% of their copied DVD collections are still sitting there on the self, never watched.

Piracy quickly turns into digital hoarding. Back in the days of the original Napster, people used to download gigabytes worth of music that they never, ever listened to. It became an addiction. The music didn't matter, it was the thrill of the hunt and the sense of accomplishment of having every song ever released. The same goes for copying DVDs, copying disc-based games, and downloading ROMs.

Wikipedia - Digital Hoarding
    Last edited by Rob2600; 02-02-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I know the feeling. It's why I canceled my GameFly account a month after starting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Excellent point. I knew people who had Netflix accounts and every time a new DVD arrived in the mail, they copied it and added it to their DVD library.

Them: "Check this out, I have 200 DVDs sitting on my shelf!"

Me: "Wow, you've seen all of these movies?"

Them: "No, but they're here if I ever want to."

Four years later, 99% of their copied DVD collections are still sitting there on the self, never watched.

Piracy quickly turns into digital hoarding. Back in the days of the original Napster, people used to download gigabytes worth of music that they never, ever listened to. It became an addiction. The music didn't matter, it was the thrill of the hunt and the sense of accomplishment of having every song ever released. The same goes for copying DVDs, copying disc-based games, and downloading ROMs.

Wikipedia - Digital Hoarding
    It's completely different than people hoping to collect complete collections for a console, I'm sure anyone who has a complete NES collection plays everything on a daily basis.

In any case copying DVDs from Netflix isn't what I meant. Why would people still pay to borrow a movie or game instead of downloading it and erasing it later instead. I don't bother with that as I actually like collecting legit copies of stuff, but the last time I rented anything was VHS tapes that were out of print and impossible to find anywhere else(this was before I had internet access). Maybe if you don't have much bandwidth, but otherwise I don't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    In any case copying DVDs from Netflix isn't what I meant. Why would people still pay to borrow a movie or game instead of downloading it and erasing it later instead. ... Maybe if you don't have much bandwidth, but otherwise I don't get it.
    I know digital hoarding seems completely irrational, and it is... but it definitely exists. I know so many people who became addicted to pirating DVDs, video games, and music.

In addition to the Netflix and Napster examples in my previous post, I worked at Electronics Boutique and every night, the assistant manager took home a handful of PlayStation games and copied them. After a few months, he had copied hundreds of PlayStation games. The man never played 99% of these games, but it became a habit, an addiction. (Eventually, he got caught and fired... over what? A stupid addiction to copying games he never played.)

It goes back to what WCP posted earlier: in many cases, piracy = massive collections of games, movies, and songs, but not enjoying them on a deep level. Too many titles to choose from; it's entertainment ADD.

And again, the people I know who were copying DVDs and video games weren't doing it because they're huge cinema buffs or game enthusiasts... it simply became an addiction. There's no logic to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I know digital hoarding exists, it's just not what I was referring to when talking about downloading instead of renting. This thread was about renting games which is why I brought up downloading them. As for hoarding in general, most people with complete collections are hoarders, how many people actually play all of their games when they have hundreds or thousands of them?

You can download a movie or game, record it to DVD-RW(or use flash carts), and erase everything once you've seen/played it. You don't have to keep it, I just never saw the point of paying to rent something and have nothing to show for it once you return it. It's not a different experience compared to seeing a movie in a theater to watching it at home, it's pretty much the same thing. Again, personally I'd rather just buy an actual copy for myself than rent or download anything. I could always sell it later if I didn't want it anymore.

I understanding renting tools, chairs, or equipment that you only need for a short period of time but with movies or games it's all just information these days rather than anything physical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't aware there was anything good about renting games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the days of NES and SNES I rented a game just about every weekend. We were way too poor to buy games, but we could swing a $3 rental. I'd usually beat them, too. The trickiest ones were RPGs. Sometimes I couldn't finish them in one weekend so I would try to rent them again and finish them. Sometimes it worked, sometimes another person had rented them in the meantime and deleted your saves and you had to start from scratch.

Another problem with trying to beat RPGs on a weekend rental is that you get to the end severely underleveled. I never actually beat Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV or Secret of Mana because my characters couldn't cut the mustard because I didn't have time to grind. I did beat Final Fantasy, the Lufia games, Dragon Warrior III, Crystalis, Soul Blazer, Secret of Evermore, A Link to the Past, and a lot more that you would think wouldn't be a doable as rentals, though.

As for renter's guilt, that's why I cancelled my Gamefly account. I had games I kept for months because I got them and felt like playing something else. I just seemed like I was wasting my money. It didn't force me to play those games I had rented, it just made me feel bad about it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've given Gamefly a try twice now. Its... not like Netflix. At all. Sure, the games come in the mail, and you have a queue. That's about where the similarities end. Gamefly has only a handful of distibution centers. Turn around time for games I found to be a week, sometimes longer. They will overnight your first ever game, so you think, "hey this is great!" But after that, forget speed. Also, your queue... you will have an extremely hard time getting the newest, latest releases. Sometimes I got the 10th or lower game on my list. If you have an old and cheap game on your list at all, you will get that game every time.

You can game the system somewhat and get the new releases by deleting everything from your queue except for the title you want, but you have to time the return of your other game just right, otherwise you will have no game sent at all. They will not notify you about the lack of a game being sent.

In short... I would not recommend Gamefly. I had the service for six months, and 3 months respectively. Last try was maybe 9 months ago. Unless they change their business model and distribution methods, I will not try again.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I actually have always loved renting games. It always gave me that chance to try out a game and see if i would like it or not or also give a chance to a game I may have overlooked. As for Gamefly, I love it. True, the shipping times average around 3-4 days for me, but I usually get the games I want when they are released, and, if I want to buy it, their "Keep It" prices are great. I have gotten a good number of games at one hell of a discount and the boxes/manuals are always new when they ship it out to you. I personally recommend them
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine