Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is better Console gaming or Pc gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Consoles. It's less of a hassle money-wise than a PC (no "oh, crap, Game XY requires a new video card AND possibly a new sound card" repeated every year or year and a half), generally better controls (sans using an adaptor to use console controllers on a PC), and it gives a better feeling of excitement when you see the console's hardware's full power get increasingly tapped into over its' time on the market.
    this post is completely inaccurate and everyone should disregard

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    You don't really have to update you graphics drivers, very few games will require something new and most people will happily live on the same drivers for years (just cause they're new doesn't mean they're better). I also pretty much never have any errors when I try to run games, I think your overselling it a bit.... Also mostly just older/cult/obscure games have 3rd party patches that "complete" games (vampire the masquerade does have a bunch :P). I've never had to use a hex editor on a game, ever. Including vampire the masquerade.
    I was actually thinking of Vampire when I posted that! I bought it off Steam and got the age old Source engine memory error. It wouldn't even boot. The newest version of the fan patch installs to a folder path that doesn't exist because... well, actually I don't know why. I ended up having to hex edit for the first time in years before I could boot the game to patch it. So yeah, you're right that most modern games just work and its the older stuff that needs TLC... but it IS a concern.

Windows defaults compatibility mode if it needs it doesn't it? I've never had to go tell it to run something in compatibility mode and I play tons of classic pc games. Getting patches is pretty useful (the official ones). dosbox if you wanna play anything like commander keen but PC gaming is actually really easy....
    I'm using Windows 7 ultimate and I don't default to compatibility mode, but this might be a problem with how I have my system set up. Is there a way to check a box somewhere to make it go automatically? That would make things easier for me.

@ OP. PC Gaming is real nice, and I prefer it almost all the time, but there are some games that are just better on the console, like fighting games ;p Action adventures usually as well, jrpgs and the like. But for FPS, RTS, and MMO PC hands down blows consoles outa the water, 3rd person games are decent on both. Also don't buy a computer from alienware, you'll just get overcharged like a motherfucker. If you don't wanna slap it together yourself (pretty easy if you feel like looking it up) go with somewhere like cyberpowerpc if you can't get someone to build it for u.
    This gentleman speaks the truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Now that can be debated forever...Graphics...not gonna touch a highend pc...gameplay i will stick with my consoles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Only niggling thing I have with a PC, and maybe one of the modern PC vets can help me out, is the control for console ports. I don't know if it's the drivers or the software or what, but it's a pain in the ass to set up my Saitek Cyborg gamepad or sometimes any game pad. I use the company's software or a freeware one (like when I used a PSOne controller with an adapter) and the settings just don't seem to feel "right".

Only game I really tried with it so far was the demo for Batman: Arkham Asylum. Gorgeous game, but the game was designed to work with an Xbox controller (literally). I'm not a big fan of using WASD for games like this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I am sure there are exceptions, if a control pad doesn't just work I have had almost no luck getting it to work. Providing Windows recognizes it, configuring said control pad to work with games designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind is another issue. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler for the task, but even that is a chore for non-popular games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

PC gaming takes patience and people who aren't afraid to tweak or taking their machine beyond it's capability (IE: Kinect hack). Console is for people who want something setup for them and ready to play. Majority of gamers don't have the patience to install program and check to make sure their PC can handle the game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Only niggling thing I have with a PC, and maybe one of the modern PC vets can help me out, is the control for console ports. I don't know if it's the drivers or the software or what, but it's a pain in the ass to set up my Saitek Cyborg gamepad or sometimes any game pad. I use the company's software or a freeware one (like when I used a PSOne controller with an adapter) and the settings just don't seem to feel "right".

Only game I really tried with it so far was the demo for Batman: Arkham Asylum. Gorgeous game, but the game was designed to work with an Xbox controller (literally). I'm not a big fan of using WASD for games like this, so any help would be appreciated.
    You should just grab the 360 pad for PC. Works awesome for console ports and lots of them will re-skin the UI so it matches the 360 button layout All of it is automatic too.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I was actually thinking of Vampire when I posted that! I bought it off Steam and got the age old Source engine memory error. It wouldn't even boot. The newest version of the fan patch installs to a folder path that doesn't exist because... well, actually I don't know why. I ended up having to hex edit for the first time in years before I could boot the game to patch it. So yeah, you're right that most modern games just work and its the older stuff that needs TLC... but it IS a concern.

I'm using Windows 7 ultimate and I don't default to compatibility mode, but this might be a problem with how I have my system set up. Is there a way to check a box somewhere to make it go automatically? That would make things easier for me.

This gentleman speaks the truth.
    Yah you mentioned vampire in your post and it's probably the only semi-common game that requires that much work that I've seen. The issues you've had with it probably have to do with it being off of steam, running off of retail (which probably the fanpatch was for as well) is what it was for ages. Also your on 7, that makes it a little less compatible with old games then xp ;p xp seems to just be a lot better, whenever I upgrade my main PC to 7 I'm gonna keep something decent on XP.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Neither. Handheld gaming is the way to go considering how bad this generation is on consoles and PC games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Neither. Handheld gaming is the way to go considering how bad this generation is on consoles and PC games.
    You're like a see saw, Kupo.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    You're like a see saw, Kupo.
    There are some good games this gen on consoles and PCs but the majority of games suck. Why do developers think it all has to be about graphics?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    You should just grab the 360 pad for PC. Works awesome for console ports and lots of them will re-skin the UI so it matches the 360 button layout All of it is automatic too.
    I might just do that as I have a bunch of NewEgg credit. I'm not too thrilled with the Saitek Cyborg. I wanted it for the switchable D-Pad/analog stick but it hasn't impressed me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some good games this gen on consoles and PCs but the majority of games suck. Why do developers think it all has to be about graphics?
    Limbo, Super Meat Boy, The Underground, The Last Guy, Echochrome, Braid, The Adventures of P. J. Winterbottom, Portal, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Starcraft II.... etc ... etc...

Sorry, what handheld games did you play that compared to those games?
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

"Nobody's perfect. Well there was this one guy. But we killed him."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

See, you're sawing. See what I did there? 'Cuz I see what you're doing there.

Here's the thing: If you're holding handhelds to the same standard that you hold for consoles and PC, which if I infer your posts in this thread correctly goes something like:

"Handhelds are the way to go because even though there are some good games on consoles and PC, the majority of games released on those platforms suck"

..Then you have some explaining to do. Because the last time I went to Best Buy, I marveled at the HUNDREDS OF SHOVELWARE games clogging the DS shelf. I also have a deep hatred of the iTunes app store, which boasts an even more impressive ratio of garbage to worthwhile stuff. And let us not forget the PSP, which has problems of it's own: namely that if you're not into the Atlus/Xseed/Aksys JRPG import scene, you're still playing Lumines.

I like you Kupo, but come on, mang. Demon's Souls was dope. Marvel 3 looks (and plays!) wonderful. It's had some backlash, but Street Fighter IV is great. Dead Rising, Dead Space, Red Dead Redemption, Assassins Creed II and Brotherhood, Call of Pripyat, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead and its sequel, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Valkyria Chronicles, Limbo, Deathsmiles, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2... I could go on, but it's pretty obvious you're trolling.